GR User Forum

The spot for all Ricoh GR camera users

Register for free, meet other Ricoh GR users, share your images, help others, have fun!

Tell your friends about us!

What would be your preferred GRD2 FW enhancements?

What would be your preferred GRD2 FW enhancements?

• True JPEG NoiseReduction (and Long Shutter NR) OFF

Votes: 44 80.0%
  • +-1 and +-2 EV in bracketing

Votes: 21 38.2%
  • User doable CCD Pixel Mapping

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • ISO settings in 1/3 steps

Votes: 6 10.9%
  • Ability to take DNG without JPEG

Votes: 18 32.7%
  • User selectable ND filter

Votes: 14 25.5%
  • Interval shooting starting at 1-2 secs

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • User selectable JPEG compression

• Switch to allow only Electronic Level sound

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • Option to swap front/rear wheel functionality

• Customizable 4-way button pad (in the way of FN button)

Votes: 4 7.3%
  • Flash compensation and Manual focus to Zoom button

Votes: 4 7.3%

• Total voters
I was informed that this forum is read by Ricoh Japan developers. I think it would be nice to show them our preference regarding the future GRD2 updates? There will be some more polls added regarding the various aspects of GRD/GX100 development and feature set ;)

So let's start with GRD2 wish list, which implementation would make the GRD2 a truly unique and preferred camera for all professionals and photo enthusiasts.

The full list, with detailed explanations of requested enhancements, can be found here:
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=423&p=1593#p1593

"True NoiseReduction OFF in JPEG" is an absolute must, the NR killed the "GR-look" in the jpeg pictures!!!

May I propose to do a similar poll for GX100 firmware update? My most important wishes would be +-1 and +-2 EV bracketing and flash compensation.

Drafi":34csbm1q said:
May I propose to do a similar poll for GX100 firmware update? My most important wishes would be +-1 and +-2 EV bracketing and flash compensation.
Hi Drafi,

Yes, I may add the similar FW poll for GX100. But to be honest, I don't think it will help something. I'm under the impression that the GX100 will not get the same level of FW support as GRD. And also that some of the GRD-specific features are intended to stay the GRD-only features (flash compensation for example). It's sad, because I found the GX100 a very capable camera with somewhat "locked" power.

Being able to swap the shutter speed onto the front wheel (and aperture to the rear) in manual mode would be my 'most wanted'.

I will buy a GRD II as soon as they fix the NR problem. It is a great camera but only if you shoot RAW only but sometimes I just want to be a ble to use the jpg and I can't do it in this form.

stewartpratt":29yxbshe said:
Being able to swap the shutter speed onto the front wheel (and aperture to the rear) in manual mode would be my 'most wanted'.
Unfortunately, I cannot add more votes to the already running poll and without reseting voting. But I can change the text of poll options, so I replaced one less important request with 0 votes with "front/rear wheel functionality swap" request ;)

It would be nice to have a poll for the GX 100 too, I marked the points which I would like for my GX 100. Thank you, odklizec.

Hi Will and welcome here! Just in case you missed it, you must submit your votes in pool at start of this page (to see them in the poll statistic).

1) True JPEG NoiseReduction (and Long Shutter NR) OFF...

...and also to get the impressive NR of the R7

2) +-1 and +-2 EV in bracketing...

...since the awaited Sigma DP1 is announced to offer up to +/-3EV

Hi Simon and welcome here! Because if there would be all options enabled, everyone would vote for all of them and the poll credibility will be quickly ruined ;)

I like a low JPEG compression on lower sized pictures, say at 5 Mpix a compression that results in a 4 Meg file. The result is higher quality.

Not in the poll: Color filters to use with the B/W mode. Most common is a yellow filter to enhance clouds. Now I abuse the White Balance for this purpose. Select 'cloudy' for orange or yellow filter and 'tungsten' for blue filter. :ugeek:

maxsax":3fxxa9i7 said:
Hello,
sorry is not in FW but my dream is GRD with the galeliano viewfinder as the GR1 ;)

Ciao

I admit I miss the viewfinder on the GRD like I had on my Contax T3. However at least we have a removable option. Wouldnt it be nice if it had some electronics with shutter speed and focus confirmation? I do worry that including any viewfinder would make the GRD bigger which I dont want.

Back