GR User Forum

The spot for all Ricoh GR camera users

Register for free, meet other Ricoh GR users, share your images, help others, have fun!

Tell your friends about us!

What is this?

33dollars":3ak6z2xi said:
Cool, that should kill any germs or fungus
And (perhaps) the integrity of the photo-sensor semiconductor junctions on the surface of the image-sensor ... Some folks suspect (or, at least, speculate) that gamma-rays (more prevalent when at higher altitudes in an aircraft) may have led to an increase in "hot-pixels" in their image-sensor output.

X-ray machines (I have been told by one who surely knows) emit significant electromagnetic energy in the "gamma radiation" range of the electromagnetic spectrum, as well. X-ray machines (because of the extraneous gamma radiation emitted) are used by the manufacturers as one way of testing functionality of the "NukeAlert" key-chain sized log (gamma) radiation detector ... :p

HA! I used to work at a never to be mentioned nuclear research facility. We all had to wear those dosimeter badges, the ones that supposedly measure the rads you've been exposed to. Surprisingly enough, they always measured no rads. Well, one day my genius friend decided he had enough of being told "everything's fine," and nuked his dosimeter in the microwave for several minutes (forget how long.) Of course, that badge came back "clear" as well.

Perhaps, if you're dead, they'll take the badge off of your dead, cold body and say there was "some" radiation. Have never seen it myself, though :lol:

Marana":2uuwaknm said:
... dosimeter badges, the ones that supposedly measure the rads you've been exposed to. Surprisingly enough, they always measured no rads. Well, one day my genius friend decided he had enough of being told "everything's fine," and nuked his dosimeter in the microwave for several minutes (forget how long.) Of course, that badge came back "clear" as well ...
The dosimeter badges are "tuned" to X and Gamma Ray wavelengths - which are between 100,000 to 10 Million times shorter than the very shortest Microwave radiation, and (correspondingly) have an energy between 100,000 to 10 Million times higher than that emitted in the case of the most energetic Microwave radiation:
http://csep10.phys.utk.edu/astr162/lect ... ctrum.html

The electromagnetic energy from (even) the waves launched from our "space-heaters" and visible light sources have significantly more energy than microwave sources.
Otherwise, (were it not for such differences) it is rather unlikely that microwave heating ovens would be sitting in our kitchens and break-rooms at work ...

Makes you wonder how digital cameras fare in Shuttle missions? - with Xrays, Gamma rays etc zooming about. Any digital cameras used on spacewalks would likely have more issues outside the protection of the shuttle.

I was once offered a few free Hasselblads complete with lenses, film backs and WL viewfinders, I was told I could have them anytime but I would have to make a trip to the moon to collect them - they are the ones left behind by the Apollo astronauts. I suspect they may not be light proof anymore so I have not bothered to pick them up! :roll: :lol:

Marana":2xec52qn said:
HA! I used to work at a never to be mentioned nuclear research facility.

Was it in Springfield?

Attachments

• Springfield_isotopes.jpg
    EXIF
    Springfield_isotopes.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 632
Marana":3e9v1xe3 said:
HA! I used to work at a never to be mentioned nuclear research facility. We all had to wear those dosimeter badges, the ones that supposedly measure the rads you've been exposed to. Surprisingly enough, they always measured no rads. Well, one day my genius friend decided he had enough of being told "everything's fine," and nuked his dosimeter in the microwave for several minutes (forget how long.) Of course, that badge came back "clear" as well.

Perhaps, if you're dead, they'll take the badge off of your dead, cold body and say there was "some" radiation. Have never seen it myself, though :lol:

no risk -- the x-ray used was less radiation that you get on a flight - less than a tsa body scan - comparable to a pinky xray and less than an ankle x-ray - a little more than a mamogram

50milliamps, 56Kvp, 1/15 sec (3.3 mAs) - minimal exposure

Really not enough to damage a sensor -

Back