GR User Forum

The spot for all Ricoh GR camera users

Register for free, meet other Ricoh GR users, share your images, help others, have fun!

Tell your friends about us!

Optical Viewfinders for the GRD III

if you want i buy it for you and send it to you. now i look if they send to italy if i understand otherwise i write them to ask them. they will answer me, i already asked them some things in the past.

Hi Valerio

I own both the GV-1 & GV-2 - only because I managed to buy them second hand at a price that was reasonable.

I've just made some comparison shots below to help you see the differences.

I bought the GV-1 first because I wanted both the 21 & 28 mm frame lines. It's a very nice and bright viewfinder but it is big and as has already been stated has no square guide. The GV-1 lives with my GRD 2 in a small Lowepro bag together with the lens adapters.

The GV-2 lives on my GRD (I know the opposite of what Ricoh intended) and the GRD is packed in a GC-4 case (also bought second hand) and consequently is the camera always with me and therefore most used. It's a lot smaller than the GV-1, not as bright but still very good and does indeed have a guide for square format (although the GRD can't take square).

If you are used to old range finder cameras you will be aware that this type of set-up does not give you a 100% of what the camera sees - normally you see around 80% of what you take....this is 'the good way round' as you can then perform a simple crop if you want to. Also worth noting is that the viewfinders are useless with macro because you are so close to the object the lens and the view finder have totally different views.

Having said all that I frame most of my pictures using the view finder - I need reading glasses these days but generally don't use them while taking pictures so the screen is always a bit of a blur but the optical view finder is crisp.

Richard

Attachments

• GV-1 & GV-2 together.JPG
    EXIF
    GV-1 & GV-2 together.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 1,134
  • GV-1 & GV-2 frame lines rear.JPG
    EXIF
    GV-1 & GV-2 frame lines rear.JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 1,172
  • eye view via GV-1.JPG
    EXIF
    eye view via GV-1.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 1,164
  • GV-1 on GRD 2.JPG
    EXIF
    GV-1 on GRD 2.JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 1,148
  • GV-2 on GRD 2.JPG
    EXIF
    GV-2 on GRD 2.JPG
    88.8 KB · Views: 1,129
Dear sergiozh and Blow-in,

many many thanks for your kind availability and support!!!
I have also the case GC-4 (I love it) and it is always on my GRD!
So both for the square "lines" and the fact I can leave it always on the body in my case, I'll go for the GV-2 (by the way I'm not intentioned to buy the 21 mm lens).
I'm surprised, Blow-in, that in Scotland you can find all these original Ricoh accessories.
In Italy most of the people not even knows Ricoh cameras...for this reason it's even hard buy new items.
I believe in buying second hand it's plenty of correct people and you can save some money and have good deals...but also the opposite can be possible, unfortunatly, so it takes time and want patience. I bought my Mamiya 6 second hand (risky expensive toy) but I met a wonderful polite and correct professionist and we are still in contact!

If you do not mind:
sergiozh: let me know what the online shop will write;
Blow-in: could you send me the link where you maybe bought all the second hand Ricoh stuff?

THANKS guys it's a pleasure to be part of this Forum.

Valerio

yes i will write here what the onlineshop will answer. i will write them once again if they don't answer me till monday. :p

the swiss shop powerCH wrote me that they just send in switzerland, they can't send outsiside of switzerland, i don't know why.

if you wish valerio that i buy something for you and send it to you in italy let it me know.

ciao

sergio

Back