GR User Forum

The spot for all Ricoh GR camera users

Register for free, meet other Ricoh GR users, share your images, help others, have fun!

Tell your friends about us!

New GRDII firmware version 1.12

Ricoh just today released a first firmware update for GRDII. There seems to be fixed several minor issues. Nothing regarding Noise Reduction (not yet). But I was informed (by my contact in Ricoh Europe), that they appreciate all inputs and suggestions posted at this forum and that they are read by a Ricoh Japan development guys. So I'm sure, there will be something done also in NR area.

Whats new 1.12?
• Improved an image quality in a small size (VGA etc.)
• Modified the following phenomena.
- If you operate the ADJ lever in the macro mode, display switching speed may change.
- If you operate the ADJ lever while compensating exposure, any keys will not work.
• When you exit a macro mode, the lens unit operating will become initialized in order to improve a focus accuracy
(I believe that this last fix would improve the GRDII focus accuracy. Form time to time, I was not able to focus on anything closer than 1m after returning from Macro mode. This lens reset after Macro should definitely help with this behavior.)

The firmware can be downloaded here:
http://www.ricoh.com/r_dc/download/firmware/grd2/

Some initial observations after installing new FW...

Scrolling over the camera menu and mainly the custom menu accessible via ADJ button is visibly faster. The ADJ button now does its job without the need of multiple clicks.

Returning from Macro mode is now a bit slower because of reseting the camera lens to its initial state. But it's a small price for accurate focusing;) The weird "unable to focus" behavior after the macro mode (reported for example here) is now fixed!

Another significant improvement is done in Continuous mode! I'm happy to report that the Continuous mode now keeps the actual NR setting! The camera still does the same (strong) NR even with NR OFF. But retaining NR switch in Continuous mode is definitely a big improvement over the initial FW, where the NR was always ON in all continuous modes!

Well done Ricoh! It's great to see the manufacturer who listen their customers and FIX the reported problems! Now we are looking forward for a complete NR OFF switch! ;)

Simon, you can now turn the NR to OFF and the continuous mode keep it OFF. However, the GRD2 NR OFF switch is not a complete NR OFF (RAW-like noise, if you mean that). That's currently not possible.

I don't quite understand what you mean.

Correct me if I'm wrong: you can now shoot RAW in continuous mode and get pictures that have not been treated to any NR?

st

No Simon, you cannot use RAW in continuous mode. In the initial version of GRD2 firmware, the camera continuous mode always forced the NR to ON (regardless the actual NR settings). The problem has been described here..
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=488
The new FW addresses this issue.

However, as mentioned elsewhere, even with NR set to OFF, the GRD2 JPEG is still treated with portion of NR. It's not that strong as NR set to ON. But it's way too strong comparing it with GX100 or GRD. We can only hope that the Ricoh will allow us to turn the NR completely OFF in any next FW update? I really hope so ;)

i've been having problems installing the firmware. I followed the instructions on Ricoh's page--but when I check the
firmware by doing the SCENE-then press macro-then press playbac thing, it still says 1.11 and i'm guessing that it should say
1.12? I just got the camera a couple of days ago, so I'm not familiar enough with it that I can definitely judge, from the
behavior that the firmware was supposed to have adjusted, if the firmware was properly installed.

I use Macbook, OS X 10.4.11. I tried installing the firmware with the SD card in the camera--not in a
separate card reader.

I copied the extracted files to the disk image and then, instead of dragging the disk image to trash and disconnecting, I ejected the volume
(otherwise it says you disconnected improperly)...and yet when I load up the Ricoh it still says 1.11. I've reformatted the SD card and all that.
I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here. Any suggestions?

You've done the magic key combination once you start the camera up after copying the files onto the SD card? I had no problem doing the update from my Mac.

Hi Peijin and welcome here!

At first, are you sure you have these two files on SD card (in its root directory)?
ylaunch3
ylaunch7

If you have both files there, then insert the SD card to camera.
Leave the camera OFF!
Switch the mode dial to Scene mode.
Now press and hold the "Mode" button (UP button) together with "Play" button for 2-3 secs. Then confirm the appearing message with OK button. After that you should see these messages:
[Checking rewrite file]
[Rewriting program]
The update is completed within a less than one minute and then the camera turns automatically OFF and ON. Now the update should be finished.

A firmware upgrade already?! This is great. That's one of the main reasons I purchased the GRD2, I was impressed that Ricoh had steadily improved the GRD1 with firmware upgrades, even when the GRD2 had been released. It is comforting to know that Ricoh does not abandon their products and continually looks to improve them. This dedication will please many owners and bring in potential buyers, just like me. Nice work Ricoh! :D

peijin":3dz8mnor said:
i've been having problems installing the firmware. I followed the instructions on Ricoh's page--but when I check the
firmware by doing the SCENE-then press macro-then press playbac thing, it still says 1.11 and i'm guessing that it should say
1.12? I just got the camera a couple of days ago, so I'm not familiar enough with it that I can definitely judge, from the
behavior that the firmware was supposed to have adjusted, if the firmware was properly installed.

I use Macbook, OS X 10.4.11. I tried installing the firmware with the SD card in the camera--not in a
separate card reader.

I copied the extracted files to the disk image and then, instead of dragging the disk image to trash and disconnecting, I ejected the volume
(otherwise it says you disconnected improperly)...and yet when I load up the Ricoh it still says 1.11. I've reformatted the SD card and all that.
I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here. Any suggestions?

Hello fellow GRDII and Macuser.

I too had the same problem, drove me crazy wanting the new firmware.

It seems there was a little something lost in the translation of the instructions.

Heres the fix I came up with. Open the disk image, on the desktop, DELETE any and all folders from with in the image. Now drop the 2 downloaded updater files into the bare disk image, eject however you wish via trash or not does not matter. Now you have the updater files in a way the camera can read them, do the key combos to install software on camera and all is well.

Enjoy,

Shane-NYC

thats odd, I'm on a MacBook Pro 10.4.11 and I had no issues. i simply dragged the 2 files to the disk image, hit eject, then did the key command on the camera.

Just downloaded the new firmware-with regards to the macro focus reset-the camera still won't focus if it's any closer than 1ft to an object-is this correct? Should I be using macro mode if i'm focusing on an object closer than 1ft?
Thanks.

I don't think it's a bug. You just have to use macro for anything under 30cm/1ft (see the camera specifications). Another option would be to use the Manual focus.

Back