GR User Forum

The spot for all Ricoh GR camera users

Register for free, meet other Ricoh GR users, share your images, help others, have fun!

Tell your friends about us!

hot air balloons

tommy

I'm not sure hot air ballooning is a sport, but I certainly got some action when I saw these pass by my office window.

Attachments

• baloon1.jpg
    EXIF
    baloon1.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 712
  • baloon2.jpg
    EXIF
    baloon2.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 705
  • baloon4.jpg
    EXIF
    baloon4.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 697
I love them... The first two, especially, have exactly the kind of painting-like rendering that I am trying to get. Pity for the distorsion on #1, but you can remove it in Photoshop. What did you shoot with?

Thanks Alfi.

I have a R6. Picture #1 was shot with 28mm in a low angle, and I adjusted the perspective in pp, which I suspect amplified the distortion. I use Gimp for pp, and I don't think it has any tools that can correct such distortion. It unfortunately does make the picture look a bit strange.

About the painting-like rendering, it was not any deliberate action of mine, but anyway, here's what I did to the first two pictures: The light in all of them was very, very warm, so I added a layer where I used auto levels in Gimp, that sets a new blackpoint and whitepoint. This made the pictures too cold, because there was a very warm light when I shot them. So I backed out a little with the opacity on the layer. What I found then was I wanted the warm light on the trees and buildings, but the colder light in the sky. So I added a mask to the cold layer and drew a gradient in it. For pic #1 I cut out the inside of the window, so I "cooled" the sky, and the gradient starts somewhere below the balloon and ends in the upper parts of the buildings, I think. For pic #2 I just drew the gradient somewhere in the lower middle part, so the top is cool, the bottom is warm, and there's a gradient transition in between, a little tilted, aligned with the lines of the houses. Perhaps this artificial increase in temperature range is creating the painting-like feeling?

Nice job you did with colors. I do enjoy the painting-like rendering actually. For me it doesn't mean that it looks artificial, it just means a lot of color and no violent contrast. Keep up the good work !

Back