GR User Forum

The spot for all Ricoh GR camera users

Register for free, meet other Ricoh GR users, share your images, help others, have fun!

Tell your friends about us!

Frustrated w/ SD card write protection

KaRoy

So, I've got my GRD II on Thursday and luckily I had an 8GB SDHC to start using it with.

Almost immediately, I started having these weird things with the card.
These cards come with a tiny little write protection latch and the one on this one (brand name R-data, I think) has become too lose.
So much so that during insertion into the cam, it would get switched into "Write Protected" mode, since that position of the latch is towards the bottom of the card, so the smallest rubbing against the side of the card slot would dislodge it. Even if I managed to insert it just right, just moving the cam around, not even shaking it, would lock it again.
Sometimes, the cam wouldn't even recognize the card and all the heads up I'd get would be to see the memory full message when trying to take a shot.

Suffice it to say that I've got so thoroughly pissed off that I drove straight to Fry's and bought an overpriced Pana 4GB for about $70.

So there! I had to vent and maybe warn you guys, should you come across the same thing.
I wonder if I can secure this tiny latch thingy with glue or something. I don't wanna try it, less the glue gets inside the cam and does some damage.

KaRoy

Never experienced similar problem with any SD card? I would give the glue a try? Maybe a fast drying glue would help? I can imagine that some cheap cards can have similar problems? I once bought a cheap memory stick, which is now full of cracks and it's about to fall into pieces, which is really strange, because I removed it only rarely from the device.

BTW, did you do some RAW write speed timings with this 8GB card?

Didn't really have the opportunity to do any sort of testing. Today was the first time I really had a chance to play with the cam and spent most of the time trying to figure out what was going on. Maybe I'll try some glue or even apply some heat to it and fuse it together. If it works, great, if not, oh well.

Back