GR User Forum

The spot for all Ricoh GR camera users

Register for free, meet other Ricoh GR users, share your images, help others, have fun!

Tell your friends about us!

flash sync speed

sh_la_m

In A mode, when I use the pop-up flash, the the shutter speed on my camera seems to default to 1/32, which is a bit peculiar. At this speed there is still going to potentially be some blur in the main subject, as well as the background. Normally I would expect a default flash shutter sync of 1/125. Also, in M mode, the pop-up flash does not change the shutter speed - that is, the shutter speed stays on the non-flash metered speed, and will not change significantly with the toggle, so I it is only useful for really "arty" shots where the subject is partly, but not completely, frozen by the flash and the rest of the scene is really blurred. I think that in any mode, I would expect the default flash sync speed to be 1/125, and would want to be able to "drag" the shutter if I wanted to - so therefore need a little more control over the shutter speed. I would generally be happy dragging at about 1/30, personally, which is 2 stops less than 1/125, so ought to be doable if there is some kind of built-in 2-stop constraint in the camera... I don't know if all of this changes with the use of the recommended Sigma flash, but it is a pop-up flash issue. I would be more comfortable springing for the Sigma flash is I knew for sure that I could sync at somewhere between 1/125 and 1/30, at least! Is the slow flash sync a firmware bug? I am using firmware v 2.03.

Back