GR User Forum

The spot for all Ricoh GR camera users

Register for free, meet other Ricoh GR users, share your images, help others, have fun!

Tell your friends about us!

When battery is dead lens stays extended

Ashley Brayson

Hi everyone,
I believe that this is a common issue? If I'm using my camera GRD IV and the battery dies then the lens simply stays out. Is this a common fault? Do you change the battery when it goes orange just to be on the safe side? I have other compacts ( Canon ) and the lens retracts when the battery is dead.

Thanks
Ashley

Hi Ashley,

I don't recall this being mentioned in the forum in the past.
I don't tend get to the situation where my batteries are exhausted to that level so I can't be much help. Sorry.

I thought I'd weigh in just to resurrect the thread, perhaps someone else has seen this?

In the four months since I purchased my camera I managed to exhaust the battery twice.
In both instances the lens retracted and the camera shut down.
Now I always carry a fully charged spare and interchange before the orange indicator is displayed.

Austin

Thanks guys. I think it's when you try and take a shot or review your photographs that it can die with the lens extended. I just tried it turned on with a very flat battery and left it on the table. It shut down correctly when the battery eventually died.

I have come to the conclusion that this only happens with a partially depleted battery that is being used "enthusisatically" at the time. This is the only common thread that has accompanied my experiences of "dead camera". Some batteries might be more prone than others but I have had the experience with both oem and clone batteries.

Also it was much more prevalent in cameras R8, R10, CX1 and possibly the CX2 (after the uprating to hi-res lcd and contining the old smaller battery. I have had it about three times with the GRDIII and only once with the GRDIV - in the latter case when I foolishly tried to review some images using the same battery after the camera had previously shut down in orderly fashion. (My fault). There were also reports of stuck lenses in the GX series, I presume that they were simply "stuck" as was thought, but looking back on subseqent "dead camera" events it may have been a similar root cause. My GX100 has never given me any problem, but it was not one of my more enthusiastically used Ricohs.

In every case once the first flush of the new had expired and I was using the camera "more normally" the dead camera symptom seemed to disappear. No scrapping of batteries, no special tricks. My GRDIII has not had one "dead camera" episode for years now.

Tom

Back