GR User Forum

The spot for all Ricoh GR camera users

Register for free, meet other Ricoh GR users, share your images, help others, have fun!

Tell your friends about us!

What are your MY1 and MY2 settings?

Drafi

I am wondering how to use these in the best way. It has a lot to do with individual preferences, of course, but I am curious to hear how you have set up your MY1 and MY2, and why, so I can learn something. Other users might be interested as well.

(I have posted the same question in the GX100-section, because i have that camera, but I would also like to hear from GRDII users, therefore I am reposting it here.)

I have found the custom settings more useful than I had originally thought they would be. Thanks, Ricoh! I use one of them as "prefered" and the other as "foolproof". I have the following setup:

MY1: My most commonly used settings. For me, that would be manual exposure. It takes a bit of time to compose a picture and to tweak all the dials so these settings aren't suitable for quick shots.

MY2: Snap focus with hi-iso option (with 800 being max). It's my "shoot from the hip" setup because I don't have to touch anything but the shutter. I have the electronic level turned on also.

Adam

MY1: snap-shot mode. Snap focus, Auto-high ISO, aperture priority set to f5.6.

MY2: external flash mode. f5.6, 1/125, ISO100.

Being a beginner, I am also very interested in the settings you others have. It would be helpful if you could explain what conditions the settings are suited for too. :D

Any more example on the MY1 and My2 settings? I'm still a beginner and I hope I can absorb as much suggestion as possible from you all experienced users :oops:

MY1: RAW 1:1 Snap mode
MY2: RAW 1:1 Infinity focus mode

they have the same settings all throughout with the focus mode being the only difference.

Hello everyone!!!

Anyone else shares its GRD II MY1/MY2 settings?... In particular someone has found maybe a setting to get something like a Velvia film result?....

Ciao!
Luigi

Well, for my camera (CX1), the My1 setting is for my most commonly used photo settings. It changes some, but currently it's set to 28mm wide, flash off, Multi-pattern auto white balance, autobracket on, exposure to -0.7, two second timer for less blur, custom picture settings of minimum sharpness, standard +1 color, minimum +1 contrast, auto iso, spot focus, center exposure metering, blown highlights blinking turned on, macro mode turned on for closer and more accurate (but slower) focusing.

My2 is something that I play with a LOT. It used to be set for dynamic range two shot mode, but I got disappointed with that, so am now trying various 1:1 black and white modes instead.

i havent really messed with mine yet. i think i should. but, how does someone figure that out? just keep playing with setting and see what you like?

a_aguilar":1pm861ra said:
i havent really messed with mine yet. i think i should. but, how does someone figure that out? just keep playing with setting and see what you like?

Yeah...that's the routine. Explore the camera, experiment. Over time, you'll find a combo of settings that feel right. Then it's time to save it! :D

HI Luigi,

I'm afraid, there is not much chance to create Velvia or another "film-look" with current GRD image settings. What we would need is an RGB curves editor. Only this way would be possible to simulate film-look. So the best you can do is to shoot in RAW and give the images a film-like look with good RAW editor.

Luigino":1r7ashmb said:
Hello everyone!!!

Anyone else shares its GRD II MY1/MY2 settings?... In particular someone has found maybe a setting to get something like a Velvia film result?....

Ciao!
Luigi

Back