GR User Forum

The spot for all Ricoh GR camera users

Register for free, meet other Ricoh GR users, share your images, help others, have fun!

Tell your friends about us!

Using a "unusual" lenses on your GXR-M

elvispreasley

The main reason to create this topic is to show (and to SEE as well) some "unusual" kind of lenses, what you can use with a big joy on your GXR (actually on any mirrorless camera). For now I'm very excited with a performance of old Soviet Union Lenses from a 35mm Cimena Cameras, such as (name in Russian): ОКС8-35-1 (OKS8-35-1) 35mm 2.0, ОКС1-22-1 (OKS1-22-1) 22mm 2.8, Гелиос-33 (Helios-33) 35mm 2.0, РО3-3М (RO3-3M) 50mm 2.0 and few others. This are a hight class lenses with great resolution, "cinema charm" and they are fully covering an APS-C sensor. But...there is one thing, that you have to know about this optic: to use it on any camera - you have to place it in some helicoid, otherwise you not gonna be able to focus with it (except using you fits)).
Now I'm having only OKS8-35-1 ready for shooting, but few other lenses (OKS1-22-1, RO3-3M, Helios-33, Meyer Helioplan 55mm 4.5) are on the way to be prepared for mounting on GXR. Can't wait for them)
Other thing is that the Soviet Cine lenses is only a small drop from the "weird" things, what you can use (with a great results) on your camera. There is a big choice of enlarging lenses, that can be also mounted on GXR. I'm personally using Meopta Meogon 80mm 2.8 and very pleased with it results.
Here is few samples from my lenses, to give you a clue - what you can expect from a "weird optics":

OKS8-35-1 35mm 2.0

R0011542-Edit by Andrii Radevych, on Flickr

R0011566-Edit by Andrii Radevych, on Flickr

R0011479 by Andrii Radevych, on Flickr

R0011433 by Andrii Radevych, on Flickr

R0011410 by Andrii Radevych, on Flickr

R0011274-Edit-2 by Andrii Radevych, on Flickr

R0011221-Edit-2 by Andrii Radevych, on Flickr

R0011172 by Andrii Radevych, on Flickr

R0011167-Edit-Edit-Edit by Andrii Radevych, on Flickr

Meopta Meogon 80mm 2.8

R0011117-Edit-Edit-Edit by Andrii Radevych, on Flickr

R0011062-Edit-Edit by Andrii Radevych, on Flickr

R0011039-Edit-Edit-Edit by Andrii Radevych, on Flickr

R0010963-Edit-Edit by Andrii Radevych, on Flickr

R0010987 by Andrii Radevych, on Flickr

R0010946 by Andrii Radevych, on Flickr

R0010936 by Andrii Radevych, on Flickr

Thanks for these Andrii

I have a lot of Russian lenses but only in M39 and M42 mounts. I am not sure that I need to be tempted into the more radical cinema lenses. I presume that you need another adapter and it needs helicoid focusing capability.

Are such adapters readily available?

Tom

Tom Caldwell":2t8uh4wk said:
Thanks for these Andrii

I have a lot of Russian lenses but only in M39 and M42 mounts. I am not sure that I need to be tempted into the more radical cinema lenses. I presume that you need another adapter and it needs helicoid focusing capability.

Tom

Tom, first of all - very sorry for my late reply. You're absolutely right: ALL of the Soviet cinema lenses needs to be mounted in some helicoid - to be able to focus. It could be lots of variations of customization of that lenses, so sometimes it's kinda complicated to make them works properly, but believe me - it REALY WORTH IT. There are around 15 models of Soviet cine lenses (and much more from another manufacturer), that fully covering 1.5 crop sensor (so all of them are perfectly fit my GXR) and all of them are very hight quality, assembled according to the famous ZEISS lens schemes. For now I have 7 custom made lenses (M39 screw mount) and I want to get few more wide angle to complete my set.
Here you can see - how all of them look like:

Backup photographer is growing) by Andrii Radevych, on Flickr

elvispreasley":m2bpc90e said:
Tom Caldwell":m2bpc90e said:
Thanks for these Andrii

Tom

Tom, first of all - very sorry for my late reply. You're absolutely right: ALL of the Soviet cinema lenses needs to be mounted in some helicoid - to be able to focus. It could be lots of variations of customization of that lenses, so sometimes it's kinda complicated to make them works properly, but believe me - it REALY WORTH IT. There are around 15 models of Soviet cine lenses (and much more from another manufacturer), that fully covering 1.5 crop sensor (so all of them are perfectly fit my GXR) and all of them are very hight quality, assembled according to the famous ZEISS lens schemes. For now I have 7 custom made lenses (M39 screw mount) and I want to get few more wide angle to complete my set.
Here you can see - how all of them look like:

Backup photographer is growing) by Andrii Radevych, on Flickr

Andrii

A nice impressive display - complete with a cat of a breed I don't think I have ever seen before and a vase of some distinction. I bought Princelle's book and therefore that makes me a minor authority on Russian lenses by default - I have a good collection as I have mentioned but the stages go from being very confused about the numbering system to the reaiisation that there are not that many common lenses and it might be possible to get a set of what were available to the slow realisation that whilst there are relatively few types there are a huge number of sub-types. I once saw a photograph on the web of a suitcase packed with Helios 44's each on being a different sub-type of the same lens design.

Princelle has a section in the back of his second edition on Movie Cameras - I presume that I can get some idea from what is listed there. What mount systems are used? Do they use M39 threads?

Tom

Back