GR User Forum

The spot for all Ricoh GR camera users

Register for free, meet other Ricoh GR users, share your images, help others, have fun!

Tell your friends about us!

TTL-A Remote Flash Trigger

ZDP-189

Is there a TTL-A remote flash trigger compatible with Ricoh Type R (GXR, GRDIII, GF-1)? Pocketwizard TTL doesn't work.

As GXR/GRDIII uses Ricoh's own TTL protocol, I don't think there is anything compatible with them? I already searched for Ricoh TTL compatible stuff but no luck yet. I'm afraid, Ricoh is too minor market for 3rd party manufacturers to bother with them?

Oh well thanks. I have had success with a Canon cable, but it doesn't give me range and freedom.

odklizec":2b3u9jw6 said:
What? The Canon cable worked in TTL mode with Ricoh GF1?

Yah.

Well, it's not a Canon cable, it's a cheap clone, the Yongno Digital OC-E3 for Canon.

This is pretty conclusive proof; a picture of a macro shot of the GRDIII in full auto mode shooting the GF-1 as it fires. Exposure looks pretty good. I think the EXIF is still on.

Yongno_OC-E3.jpg

Here's a shot I took before with the flash off to the left bouncing off a big silvered reflector. I can't remember what the flash mode was; I normally dial in my flash manually.

PatekPhilippeLovers_01.png

ZDP-189
This is very interesting! Thanks for info! I will give it a try ;)

kjoebek
In a theory, you can use any flash with center pin, including many old flashes. However, many old flashes are dangerous to use with modern digital cameras because of their high trigger voltage. Anything over 20V could harm your camera! I would suggest you to check this list of flashes and their trigger voltages:
http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

I have used my Konica HX-14 and the Leica flash from my Minilux. They are both autoflashes and the process is easy; just set the ISO and aprture and shoot away. The GF-1 also has this autoflash mode so that it can be used with earlier GRD's and th GX100. Being digital, you can always shoot with manual flash and adjust aperture till it looks right.

But that's not the point. We're looking for full pre-flash TTL so you can pick any aperture, ISO, and most distances and shoot away. Well, theoretically, anyway. Ricoh flash is about the worst pre-flash TTL I have used, and tends to blow out unexpectedly.

So it could be possible that my old Canon Speedlight 430EX will work with my new Ricoh GXR? TTL flash? That would be great news!!!

ZDP-189":1lhlknk4 said:
odklizec":1lhlknk4 said:
What? The Canon cable worked in TTL mode with Ricoh GF1?

Yah.

Well, it's not a Canon cable, it's a cheap clone, the Yongno Digital OC-E3 for Canon.

This is pretty conclusive proof; a picture of a macro shot of the GRDIII in full auto mode shooting the GF-1 as it fires. Exposure looks pretty good. I think the EXIF is still on.

Yongno_OC-E3.jpg

Here's a shot I took before with the flash off to the left bouncing off a big silvered reflector. I can't remember what the flash mode was; I normally dial in my flash manually.

PatekPhilippeLovers_01.png

I think the chance your 430EX will work with the GXR is pretty low. The only reason why the GF-1 works with the OC-E3 cable for Canon is that the OC-E3 pin layout covers the GXR flash contacts. I really doubt the 430EX is compatible with GXR at the FW level.

As Pavel said, the generic Canon cable is a universal cable that has contacts that cover all the points on the Canon and Ricoh hotshoe. There is no electronics in the cable; it is a straight connection.

The 430EX uses a different TTL protocol. In theory, it should work in manual flash mode, but don't blame me if the camera or flash is damaged and your warranty is invalidated. However, there is no TTL. Just dial in the power and aperture manually based on the Guide number and distance, or find it by trial and error. Only the Ricoh GF-1 offers full pre-flash TTL with the GRD3 or GXR. I know of no other manufacturer's flash that does so. The good news is that the Hong Kong based electronics chain Broadway was selling original GF-1 flashes at a hugely knocked down price (discounted to clear) as they were trying to rid themselves of the GXR as if it was a bad case of crotch rot, so I bouight mune for under half price. I have no idea is they are still in stock.

Hi
The TTL flash mode it's my "wide question" with my GXR :never post,never document,never intructions,never indication by Ricoh,nothing on the instructions boock.... only the silent...
I read that is possible full compatibility with SIGMA TTL flash sytem.
Can you confirm,anybody ? i am desperate on this question

Tank you so much

The GRD I & II are compatibles STTL Sigma (see instructions)
Ricoh has released its own Flashgun also compatible GRD.
Then Ricoh has released the GRD III & IV, certainly without any change of system TTL.His contacts are strongly sames.I think that still employs the Ricoh STTL Sigma, but without saying so because he prefers to sell its own flash.
If i am right, it greatly increases our choice of equipment.
If anyone can verify this, we will all be wealthier
Regards

Hi autochrome,

I'm sorry for missing your first post regarding the Sigma TTL and new Ricoh TTL. Unfortuantely, these two systems are not compatible. The pin layout is different and so is most probably also the TTL programming. In other words, Ricoh GRD/GXR is now locked to just Ricoh GF-1. There is currently no other TTL flash option. I still hope Ricoh will finally listen the flash photographers and offer us a small (2xAA powered) version of the GF-1. A small, lightweight and low profile TTL flash with tillable head would be just great (something like the Nikon SB400)!

Bumping an old thread here, looking for cheaper GXR flash options. So I guess some of the suggestions earlier in the thread (Olympus T20, Konica HX-14, Leica Minlux flash) that might have worked with earlier Ricoh cameras won't work with the GXR?

Thanks-

Back