GR User Forum

The spot for all Ricoh GR camera users

Register for free, meet other Ricoh GR users, share your images, help others, have fun!

Tell your friends about us!

strange spot in every photo

lucridders

Hello, it seems that I am not very happy with my GX100. Anyhow, since yesterday I notice on every picture, whatever setting I use the same spot. How this can be? I hope they will give a new camera as this camera surely is made on a Monday as we say.

Attachments

• EXIF
    20071002_15.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 1,588
It seems not only to be a bad behavior this lens wobbling, but I discovered also the black spot on my pictures (the reason for it). I carefully blowed out with compressed air the spaces between the wobbling lens and see what happend!!! The black spot was gone. You have to know that I am using all the time (95%) the extension tube HA-2 and on top of it a UV filter. So, I ask myselves where that dirt can come from??? It has to be in the camera when assembled, if not I am afraid that you can not use the GX100 in normal conditions without having sooner or later this problem. The black spot is gone now, but now I have to check where the dirt is situated in the camera. I asked Ricoh what they will do with it and I wait for an answer. As told before, the way Ricoh thinks is nice, but I have to say that in many reviews the GX100 is marked as average or just recommanded. I have to agree this. In fact a good camera, but with lots of stupid things that can be avoided when they study more a model before selling.

I checked further the results regarding the wobling lens. I can say with 100% sure that it is affecting the final result of the picture in some situations. Semms not to be normal to me when it is affecting the endresult = the picture. I will open now lyselves the camera completely as I am very interested as electro-mechanical engneer to see how this is made in fact. For those people who are wondering how to open the GX100, it is very simple and is in fact a piece of cake to do so. Reaching the sensor is quite easy to eventually clean it. Note that dust will enter the lens anyhow sooner or later. The options I was reading in this forum "blowing with air" seems totally wrong. dust will be blowed all over than instead of taking it away!!!

I HAVE HAD THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MY GX 100, A BIG BLACK SPOT OFF TO THE LEFT OF THE CENTRE OF THE IMAGE. I HAVE SENT THE CAMERA BACK TO RICOH FOR REPAIR, I THOUGHT IT WOULD BE A SENSOR PROBLEM, AS I PAINSTACKINGLY CLEAN THE LENS WHENEVER THE PROBLEM ARRISED. I WILL LET YOU KNOW ABOUT RICOH'S REACTION. FOR THE REST I MUST SAY THAT I LIKE THE CAMERA VERY MUCH, I USE SOFT SETTINGS SO THE IMAGE COMES OUT WITHOUT TOO MUCH CONTRAST, WHICH I CAN ALWAYS ADD LATER IN PHOTOSHOP.
OBVIOUSLY, HIGH CONTRAST SHOULD BE AVOIDED WHEN SHOUTING WITH A COMPACT CAMERA WITH A SMALL SENSOR.
TAKING THE LIMITATIONS INTO ACCOUNT, IT IS A GREAT ADDITION FOR MY WORK AS A TRAVEL REPORTER/ PHOTOGRAPHER.

NO NEED TO SHOUT ;-)
Ricoh usually replaces the lens-sensor assembla for free during warranty.

lucridders: If you open you your gx100 be sure to take a alot of pictures for documentation

As I mentioned to michielvandam, lucridders left us some long time ago because of his flame posts. So I would not expect any answer from him ;)

oh I just saw the date... would have been interesting to see the pictures from inside though....

Back