GR User Forum

The spot for all Ricoh GR camera users

Register for free, meet other Ricoh GR users, share your images, help others, have fun!

Tell your friends about us!

Strange pixel lines

theymademedoit

Hi,
Just returned form a trip to Mexico and when I looked at my RAW files I noticed that on quite a few pics there is a vertical line running all the way down the left side of the images.

I have attached an example.
Any suggestions or ideas what could be causing this?
Cheers,
Al

Attachments

• EXIF
    Sample.jpg
    861.7 KB · Views: 1,070
Cheers....actually one thing I noticed is that all of the ones with the lines were set to manual white balance and for some reason it was on tungsten, hence they all came out blue....?
All of the pics taken on auto white balance were fine.
I dont even remember changing the WB....too much tequila perhaps.
I will have a look at the settings and report back.
Al

I see the line. This problem is usually caused by a stuck CCD pixel. There is unfortunately nothing you can do with this. I think your only hope is to send the camera to Ricoh service to remap/replace the CCD. Too bad Ricoh cameras does not offer the CCD remapping feature (like offers Olympus cameras).

Thanks for the reply Pavel.
Its odd that it only seems to happen on the shots where the white balance was on manual?
Do you happen to know how I go about send this to them?
I bought it off Ebay last year and don’t have an original receipt etc.
Also do I have to pay for the service?

I don't think that this line could be fixed in postprocessing. At least not easily. Hot pixels (not lines) are automatically fixed in SP, but I don't have any clue about LR.

As for the camera repair, I'm afraid, you will have to pay for this. The CCD remapping should be relative cheap. But if the problem requires replacing the CCD, you should expect something around 130EUR. Here you can register your camera for repair:
https://ricoh.rma-request.com/RMA/regis ... Language=1

Hope this helps? Good luck with repair!

Thanks I will give it a shot.

One thing which helped getting rid of the line in photoshop was to select the area up to the line and make a copy of the selection then nudge it a tiny bit towards and over the line.....without zooming in really close you cant see it.
This of course is a pain in the a$$!

Well I got a reply to my email sent to Ricoh -

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your enquiry.

If the line appears on every picture, most likely it's sensor related and your camera has to be serviced.
I other words - there is no ,,easy" fix for it.

I hope that your question has been answered to your satisfaction.
Should you have further questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

I wonder if this will be covered or if I will have to pay for this?

Quick update.
I decided to format the card in the camera and then I did a few test shots outdoors and looked at them using Lightroom.
There were no lines on the new RAW files.
I wonder what’s going on then……at first I wondered if it was just in low light that the lines appear but then I looked back on my Mexico pics and outdoor shots on sunny days were also affected, then I wondered if the humidity had anything to do with it.
The humidity whist I was there was quite intense.
Any thoughts?

If formatting the card solved it then I would invest in a new card and retire this one.
If its had a problem writing to or reading from the card then the issue could reappear.

Also there are a lot of fake (copies of genuine brand) SD cards, that are made cheaply or "pretend" to be the size they are not.
I'm not saying your card is fake but, I would not risk my images on one that has had issues.

A genuine brand 4Gb SD card can be bought for AU$10 (standard speed, more $$ for faster card) so at that price its not worth losing images after traveling far and wide.
I think you can get some higher brand cards that are water sealed.
I tend to travel with more than one card anyway.

I am glad you found the issue and "fixed" your camera. :D :D :D

PS: out of interest what brand and type of card is it?

Hi,
I responded to you earlier but the post didnt show.....
Anyway, the memory was/is Sandisk and has been good up to now.
I wonder if at low light and higher ISO I may still get issues?
I will test and keep my fingers crossed!

Back