GR User Forum

The spot for all Ricoh GR camera users

Register for free, meet other Ricoh GR users, share your images, help others, have fun!

Tell your friends about us!

some iPhone 3G photos

Lili's recent camera phone photos inspired me to create a sub-gallery for these specific photos. It seems the camera phones dramatically improves in recent days. And although most of them are still not as good as some entry level compact cameras, some of them works very good. And if you process them a bit, you can get some worth to keep photos, good enough even for small prints.

I'm using iPhone 3G (2MP) everywhere when the GRD is out of reach, mainly for Lucia's snap shots ;) And believe or not, I'm happy with results I'm getting after some in-phone processing (can you imagine this? me and happy without RAW?).

Basically, I'm using two iPhone photo editors. Freeware "Mill Colour" (for basic editing but with some impressive results) and PhotoForge, which I bought for $1.99. This program is small&pocketable "photoshop", which offers usual photo editing tools like crop, resize, sharpening, conversion but also some advanced tools like curves, fake HDR, vignette effect, etc...

Here are some of the best results:

iPhone 3G is equipped with 2MP camera, with somewhat strong noise reduction to my taste. But as you can see, the results are not that bad? The newer 3Gs produces visibly grainier photos with much lower noise reduction and therefore more preserved details. I wish I have 3Gs, but I like 3G output and I will most probably stay with it for a while ;)

Attachments

• IMG_0038.jpg
    EXIF
    IMG_0038.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 1,193
  • IMG_0118.jpg
    EXIF
    IMG_0118.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 1,278
  • IMG_0120.jpg
    EXIF
    IMG_0120.jpg
    312 KB · Views: 1,202
  • IMG_0062.jpg
    EXIF
    IMG_0062.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 1,187
  • IMG_0122.jpg
    EXIF
    IMG_0122.jpg
    303.5 KB · Views: 1,188
  • IMG_0142.jpg
    EXIF
    IMG_0142.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 1,196
The iPhone is a good notetaker, I wish it had better macro ability, as its often close subjects I want to take notes about.
Sometimes I use the iPhone even when I have my GRD with me :eek:
Here's a couple of grab shots, they all seem to be food related :? :lol:

Luckily I got given a iPhone by my employer! :D

Attachments

• IMG_0014.jpg
    EXIF
    IMG_0014.jpg
    327.7 KB · Views: 587
  • IMG_0121.jpg
    EXIF
    IMG_0121.jpg
    320.5 KB · Views: 589
Nice work the both of you. I find my MyTouch has quite decent macro, down to about 2.5cm or so. One oddity, it seems not use a shutter per se but rather scans the image vertically, if one move it quickly the resultant image 'leans'.
Does the iphone do so?

Lili":1k50roxs said:
Nice work the both of you. I find my MyTouch has quite decent macro, down to about 2.5cm or so. One oddity, it seems not use a shutter per se but rather scans the image vertically, if one move it quickly the resultant image 'leans'.
Does the iphone do so?

Thanks Lili, yes the iPhone does this image dragging effect also, I will dig for an example and post it or take a sample sometime!

Thanks Thelps, I have several from my phone, but since it is not an iPhone I did not wish to post them in this thread ;)
Scared me when first it happened, then I reasoned it out and found confirmation online :D

Pavel,
I really like you #2 picture, but the shadow on one of Lucia's eyes stands out and disturbs me so it sort of ruins the picture for me. I think I would try to use some artificial soft light in pp to even out the natural light and make both eyes equally bright.

You are right Tommy, a bit of fill light (dodge tool in silkypix) improved this photo. It even restored some highlights ;)

improved:

original:
file.php

Attachments

• IMG_0118_2.jpg
    EXIF
    IMG_0118_2.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 1,143
Pavel, I know you don't like selective retouching ;-) but anyway, I was thinking something more like this (I hope you don't mind). Or maybe it looks too artificial? Hm, I can see there's a ring of light around the eye now. I must be tired, I can do better than that, but you get the idea.

Attachments

• EXIF
    IMG_0118_t2.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 1,122
Thanks Tommy, now I see what you mean! You are right, I usually don't do any selective retouching, except some light dirt cleaning and only with tools provided by SP. There is unfortunately no selective Dodge&Burn tool in Silkypix. On the other hand, I think even my last attempt was a bit unnatural and your added even a bit stronger artificial look. But who cares? It's just camera phone photo! ;) It's good as wallpaper on my iPhone or for web blog, but that's all ;)

One more photo taken and fully edited with iPhone...

PS: folks, if you are are bored with all these Lucia's photos, don't hesitate to tell me so :D I'm aware I'm currently "a bit" mono-thematic ;)

Attachments

• IMG_0159_sm.jpg
    EXIF
    IMG_0159_sm.jpg
    253 KB · Views: 292
Nice Pavel!!!!
We are not bored, esp with Madonna images like this :)
Is it not sweet to be able to take the image and PP it, all in phone/camera?
There is something liberating in this process...

Thanks Lili! Yes, it's fun to be able to edit the photos right in phone. If you would ask me few years back, I would laugh at you. Of course, It's nothing for serious photography, but I'm surprised how nice results can be obtained even from 2MP camera phone without autofocus and with some easy editing. I'm applying more or less the same techniques as I do with RAWs and the results are not that bad. I will have to print few of them. Just to see them printed ;)

Back