GR User Forum

The spot for all Ricoh GR camera users

Register for free, meet other Ricoh GR users, share your images, help others, have fun!

Tell your friends about us!

Some impressions of my new S10

Blow-in

As has been written at length, the GXR is a bit of an enigma. Nearly 5 years since its launch its following today seems to be most enthusiastic about the GXR M with the various 'A' modules a close second. There is not much going on at the moment with the small sensor camera units. I think at launch most of the reviewers found it hard to categorize the GXR but nearly all agreed that it was an expensive system unless you bought in to the whole system (when you could argue it was even more expensive). Certainly the S10 + GXR back was a very expensive way to buy a 'GX200' in 2009. But times have changed and the few new units still on the market are shifting for not much money. I've just paid £49 for an S10 which is now on a used GXR back (a bit under £100) and cased in the SC-65 case (a bit under £40 for top & bottom unit). So for under £200 I have a complete camera (including the SD card).

I really like my A12 28 & 50 and the image quality and manual focus options make them very nice to use when you have some time. But then I also like my GRD4 which slips in to a pocket and has a great macro option and is really easy to use with the deep DOF the small sensor offers. I'm not really a zoom fan and the A16 unit is too big and too plasticky for my taste but the S10 is nice to handle, very compact and step zoom overcomes some of my prejudices. I wear the camera on the supplied full strap (part of the SC-65 package) as a sling and it is very light & portable. I don't bother with the lens cap because the case protects the lens adequately when not in use.

The sensor is similar (same?) to the GRD4 and it has the same processing engine (#4) so while it lacks the hybrid focus, the very useful DRC and some of the 'trick' image settings of the GRD4 (which I've stopped using now the novelty has worn off) it handles rather like a GRD4 with a small zoom. So it's strange then that the GRD4 images are well regarded but the S10 images are a bit 'also run'. And it's also strange that GRD4 are not being heavily discounted either while the GXR S10 is.

The GXR with the S10 is pretty compact:

Unfortunately the SC-65T is rather large as it also can accommodate the A12 50 (and A 12 28 and P10) so it's more of a sling camera than a pocket one.

I've been using the S10 in a similar way to the GRD4 (generally on auto ISO Hi) and it handles in a similar way. Here are some early images:

So I see a place in my camera collection for the S10. The GRD4 will always be the camera for a pocket, often carried in case of an opportunity. The A12s in their bag will be with me on those days that I set out to concentrate on photography. The S10 will be with me on those days when I'm not really concentrating on picture taking but expect to take some shots and might want the useful 24 - 72 focal range.

Richard

Attachments

• GXR P10 - GRD4 size 1.JPG
    EXIF
    GXR P10 - GRD4 size 1.JPG
    288.1 KB · Views: 627
  • GXR p10 - GRD4 size 2.JPG
    EXIF
    GXR p10 - GRD4 size 2.JPG
    322 KB · Views: 631
  • running water.JPG
    EXIF
    running water.JPG
    457.4 KB · Views: 614
  • fearns.JPG
    EXIF
    fearns.JPG
    429.6 KB · Views: 622
  • blue.JPG
    EXIF
    blue.JPG
    461.8 KB · Views: 608
  • purple.JPG
    EXIF
    purple.JPG
    429.2 KB · Views: 616
  • orange.JPG
    EXIF
    orange.JPG
    300.5 KB · Views: 611
  • pond.JPG
    EXIF
    pond.JPG
    410.7 KB · Views: 621
Thanks very much for your pics and comments on the S-10. BTW, I very much liked your photos of the church, especially the interior, using the A12 28. I was out with the S-10 on the weekend, some of which I posted in the Ricoh section of DPreview. Having the tele and the wide angle attachments (and HA-3) make the S-10 more versatile and more fun. Frankly, it's all a learning curve for me. As a hobbyist, the GXR has enough going for it to sustain my interest in photography. Anything more would be too much. I have concluded that the eye and one's sensibilities have more to do with good photos than the latest tech. Thanks for the lovely photos and keep them coming!

Sean, thanks for your comments. Why not post a few of your shots on this forum too?

Richard

Congratulations on the newly acquired lensor, Richard, a small zoom is indeed useful at times. I suppose that if I had access to the nice deals you are getting in the UK for the GXR equipment, I'd probably opt for a body and 50 mm. Seems like the closest thing to a fairly dust-proof serious compact I'll be seeing.

Back