GR User Forum

The spot for all Ricoh GR camera users

Register for free, meet other Ricoh GR users, share your images, help others, have fun!

Tell your friends about us!

Shortcuts to GRD Error History and Master Reset

Guys, I probably found the shortcuts for two GRD service menus and one of them should be GRD master reset! I found them on Chinese GRD forum (source is here), so the translation can be wrong, but I hope I got it right ;)

Switch the camera to "Video" mode - it should stay in this mode during all below steps.

Error History:
Press "Zoom/Thumbnails" + "Right" + "Play" buttons together

GRD Initialize Settings (aka Master Reset)!
Press "Thumbnails" (button under Zoom) + "Flash" and "Play" >> You should be asked if you really want to reset the camera. Be careful and do this only if you are certain you want to do this! This will reset all camera counts, including number of taken photos, error history, etc!

Could you please test them? There is no need to perform Master Reset, just try the key sequence and you should be asked if you are sure, then answer NO ;)

The first one doesn't work. Maybe it's meant zoom+left+play. This shortcut I found out a time ago, but it's useless and the values are strange as shot cout is shown zero on my camera.

Edit: Sorry, the first one of course works, but it's the already known firmware update shortcut =)

The second one works, but I said "no" to master reset.
I experienced several dust spots when shooting a white wall at f/9 so I'm thinking about sending the camera to the service, as I have still guaranty on the camera. Maybe a master reset before sending it in is not the best idea. Having now at least two problems with the GRD, it's a good time for service.

Edit 2: I looked up the source website of the combinations. As I am not registered in this asian forum, maybe you can add this information there, Pavel. The combination for Error History Table is thumbnail+right+play

In my camera the error history is empty and the date below is 2005 01 01 etc.

Thanks for confirmation Kamil! Sure, there is no need of performing "Master Reset" if your camera works fine :) I just thought it would be useful info for guys, who updated their GRD to 2.31 and experienced the known camera "hanging" after pressing the ADJ button. Some guys reported no problems with 2.30 but once they upgraded to 2.31, the problems started. And even if they downgraded back to 2.30, the hanging is still there. So I think the camera must be completely reset to factory defaults to fix this problem and this master Reset could be the way?

As for the "Error History", you confirmed what I suspected. There are two hidden screens described on that page but both with the same key presses. So I thought one of them will be invoked by "right" button instead of "top" (flash) button. Thanks for info!

odklizec":9bdbd said:
I just thought it would be useful info for guys, who updated their GRD to 2.31 and experienced the known camera "hanging" after pressing the ADJ button. Some guys reported no problems with 2.30 but once they upgraded to 2.31, the problems started. And even if they downgraded back to 2.30, the hanging is still there.

This guy was me :lol:
http://www.ricohforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=33

But I don't like to do this reset before sending the camera in to avoid any confusion of the Ricoh people who will surely check the camera for resets etc. I don't want them to say, the freezing problem was caused by me, resetting the camera or something.

Hehe :) But I'm sure you are not the only guy who reported this ;) But yes, it's wise idea not to do Master Reset is you want to send it to Ricoh. In a theory, this should reset the camera back to factory defaults, so there should not be any info even about number of resets. But one never know? ;)

Back