GR User Forum

The spot for all Ricoh GR camera users

Register for free, meet other Ricoh GR users, share your images, help others, have fun!

Tell your friends about us!

Safe External Flash for GRD

Hello. I am looking for an external flash to use with my GRD for one reason only. I just want to use it for photographing book spreads for documentation. Therefore it cannot be a slave because the ricoh built-in flash would be to bright. Am I right? I woould need a flash that does swivel/tilt. Therefore I could only use the recommended SIGMA and the mentioned NIKON or the Metz 20 C-2. Or do you have other recommondations? Thanks in advance.

Hi there,

If you don't insist on TTL capability, then there is for example Metz 20 C-2...
viewtopic.php?p=2992#p2992
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1975

A reasonable powerful small flash with bouncing head (I'm afraid, no swivel). Many people here use this flash with Ricoh cameras, because it's really tiny, takes only two AA batteries and produces nice results. But don't expect miracles! The recharge time is not lightning fast and it's enough powerful only for small rooms.

I have a Metz 20 C-2 being delivered today. Sometimes you just have to love ebay for a great deal.This was one of them. While I've had my GRD up for sale for sometime now, I never disliked the camera. To the contrary, I've always enjoyed it. There's always going to be thoughts of 'what am I missing'? by not have something else - as I was gravitating towards a GX, or maybe a G10. But the pull on me isn't that strong. There haven't been ANY takers for my GRD, so my attitude is... So what! I'll just keep on enjoying it. I don't expect to be using the Metz all that much, but for those few occasions... I expect nice things - and some renewed fun! I think that's what it's all about.

Hi....im new here just got a GRD II

May I ask what is the maximum allowable Flash Trigger Voltage of GRD II ?

Can I use my Nikon SB600? What about the older SB-24 or 25?

Or should I use only full manual flashes?

Thanks...

odklizec":16zj7rnq said:
Congratulations for your new GRD! The GRDII max trigger voltage is around 20V. Anything above may (or may not) destroy your camera. See this list of flashes and their trigger voltages:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html">http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html</a><!-- m -->

SB25 and 25 are safe to use. There is no word about SB600 so it's on your responsibility ;)
HI odklizec!

Thanks for the info! Wow 20V! So that means no problem with any flash...including Nikon SBs?

Btw, I was able to try SB600 off camera using a remote radio trigger and it worked! Im just not sure if its okay to use it always. And its just too big the size so Im looking for a smaller flash...maybe I will get the SB400

Should I use only full manual flash units?

As for your Flash question, as far as I remember, SB400 unfortunately does not work with Ricoh cameras. I believe some users already tested it with no luck.

Back