GR User Forum

The spot for all Ricoh GR camera users

Register for free, meet other Ricoh GR users, share your images, help others, have fun!

Tell your friends about us!

Rubber peeling on the GR

ronrag

Hi guys, i used to have a GRD3 and after less than a year of usage, the problem of rubber peeling or loosening of the rubber grip creeps in. is it still an issue with the Ricoh GR if by any chance you have been noticing an early sign of peeling off?

Define less then a year? The GR is barely released for five months (in Singapore) and the rubber grip is still perfect. Even the smell is still there - a little weaker compared to day 1, but still there.

For comparison, my five-year-old GX100's rubber grip hasn't loosened or peeled off, it's just gotten shiny.

blue_quartz":1fb69xv4 said:
Define less then a year? The GR is barely released for five months (in Singapore) and the rubber grip is still perfect. Even the smell is still there - a little weaker compared to day 1, but still there.

I was referring to my GRD3 and not the GR. I have the GR too and it's basically identical to the GRD3 that I made comparison with. As of this date, of course, my GR rubber component is still intact and without any signs of loosening. I did asked this question because I noticed that the GR is Made in China while the earlier GRDs are Made in Japan.

As far as I know all Ricoh GRD cameras have been made in China in a Ricoh factory.

The original GRD had rubber grip peel that was easily fixed by a small piece of thin double sided tape.

Since then I have had GX100 (a relative), the GRDIII and IV, several GXR's and the GR. All made in China, all rubber grips tight as can be.

I don't think where they were made has any bearing and loose grips are not usual.

Tom

ronrag":1inmlsc1 said:
I was referring to my GRD3 and not the GR.

Whoops, I read your post a little too fast and interpreted it as asking if the GR's rubber grip is prone to peeling "after less than a year". I wonder if there's anything to do with dry boxes or the climate?

I leave my GR in a velcro-ed case (i.e. there's still some opening, unlike zips) on my desk, away from direct sunlight. How about you guys?

The GRD original had "real" rubber on the grip and was attached with double sided tape which attracted some negative comments.

The reason why it was done that way was that there were some screws under the grip and it needed to be lifted/peeled to access them for servicing. It was recommended that glue not be used to stick the grip back on.

The advantages of this soft rubber included a nice soft grippy feel and it developed a wear patina that looked good.

The disadvantage was that if it started lifting then it moved about as it was thin and soft it stretched, tore and quickly became a mess. The way rubber was cut meant that it was only attached by narrow strips at points around the connector door. This was a vulnerable area and even was a problem for myself who only opened the door out of curiosity.

One month after purchase my GRD rubber was coming off and I was not a happy-chappie. But as soon as I was advised on a fix I bought a roll of some sticky-tape thin double sided tape from a hardware store for $1.50 and used about 1 square centimetre of tape and it worked. I still have that roll of tape about ten years later and recently I detected just a slight loosness again, must use another 1 square centimetre of that roll of tape.

Of course the original rubber grip was the best but perhaps too delicate for rough and tumble use.

In later models Ricoh seems to have changed the material of the grip to a harder synthetic type and cut it in such a way that it doesn't have the narrow parts that might be more easily dislodged. I have not had any trouble since with any of the further eight Ricoh camera bodies that have similar types of grip construction. I did peel back the grip partially on a GXR body. It is indeed held by a form of double sided tape but can be peeled back and re-affixed without seeming to come to any harm.

What might happen? Well I guess if the body became hot enough the grip material and glue would soften somewhat. A very heavy "iron-grip" might flex the grip surface against the solid body and might make it move. My hands have never been strong enough, maybe my camera has never been hot enough either.

Tom

thanks for the input Tom. i live in the Philippines where the weather is hot most of the time. perhaps that's the reason why the adhesive on the rubber grip can be easily melted and dislodged. by the way, my GRD3 was "Made in Japan".

It can get pretty hot and humid where I live as well, we are classified as "sub-tropical" but would not be quite as tropical as the Philippines.

My GRD lost its serial number. The number strip on that camera was not indented into the camera body and when the tripod mount damaged what appeared to be simply a protective strip of clear plastic I peeled the rest off. The numbers and writing disappeared in a day. Never peel off the plastic over the serial number.

In any case I cannot now prove that it said "Made in China" but I could check my R4, GX100, GRDIII, GRDIV, several GXR bodies and a GR. Mine all declare "Made in China". I am not doubting what you say but it is interesting that Ricoh are making some of their cameras in Japan and that in Australia at least all the cameras sold seemed to have been sourced ex-China. Incuding my GRDIII which was a very early (#6) Australian delivery.

Tom

Back