GR User Forum

The spot for all Ricoh GR camera users

Register for free, meet other Ricoh GR users, share your images, help others, have fun!

Tell your friends about us!

Ricoh GXR M mount FAQ

These questions were collected (most of them by VladimirV) amongst the photographers interested in Ricoh GXR M module and answered by Ricoh folks.
Here is official M mount FAQ:
GXR FAQ top
http://www.ricoh.com/r_dc/support/faq/bp/gxr/

Lens
• How is it possible to identify a compatible lens?.
There is a lens checker included with the mount and in addition we will inform our customers through our website, http://www.ricoh.com/r_dc/gxr/unit5.htm ... fo#lensfit.

• Are there any known lens incompatibilities?
Yes, the Hologon 15mm F8 and Elmar 5cm F3.5 from Leica.

• Will it work with the Leica lens coding?
No, the GXR mount is not compatible with the Leica lens coding system.

• Will Ricoh produce any new M-mount lenses themselves to sell together with the M-mount module for the GXR? Maybe a re-release of the old GR lenses?
There are no plans for Ricoh to produce any M-mount lenses.

• Will Ricoh release any adapters for other legacy lenses or will this be up to the Chinese manufacturers? Especially an M to K mount adapter would be welcome in light of recent news, even if it's MF only.
There are no plans for Ricoh to produce any adapters. 3rd party M to K mounts are currently available.

Odklizec: so far, we collected this list of manufacturers and sellers of various "something to Leica" adapters:
Novoflex (Germany) - about 150Eur per adapter
http://www.novoflex.com/en/products/ada ... er-finder/

Rayqual (Japan) - their adapters are used by Ricoh Japan) - 170Eur per adapter:
http://www.japanexposures.com/shop/prod ... cts_id=383

Adriano Lolli (Italy) - about 60-70Eur per adapter
http://www.adrianololli.com/raccordi.asp?tipo=L

Ebay seller ROXSEN (LM adapters for certain mounts) - about 40-50USD per adapter:
http://stores.ebay.com/ROXSEN/For-Leica ... m322&gbr=1

Focusing
• Is there any rangefinder coupling in the mount so it knows when the focus ring is turned and can magnify the screen to aid focusing?
There is no rangefinder coupling in the mount. Please use the picture display or the VF-2 (optional) to confirm focusing. User can magnify the image to aid in focusing. The magnification can be set either to the full image or centre, to aid in focusing but also maintain the framing. The magnified area can be moved using the directional pad.

• Is the view in framing and focusing mode imaged from the main sensor or via an ancillary imaging system?
Both framing and focusing are imaged from the main sensor.

• Does it do focus confirmation, and how is that implemented? Will there be some type of "peaking" function to aid in MF?
No focus confirmation, but there is a ‘Focus assist function’ which allow you to view the peak contrast point in the picture display.

Sensor
• Will it use the same 12 MP sensor as used in the other A12 modules or will it be a re-designed sensor to work better with m-mount lenses?
The GXR A12 MOUNT will use the same sensor as the other A12 camera units. However, the micro lenses are optimized for M lenses to ensure sufficient brightness levels even in the peripheral areas of the image.

• Can we hope for a sensor without the anti-alias filter (like the sensors in Leica M8/M9), or at least a sensor with lighter anti-alias sensor?Can we hope for a sensor without the anti-alias filter (like the sensors in Leica M8/M9), or at least a sensor with lighter anti-alias sensor?.
This sensor does not have an anti-alias filter.

• Is there an image stabilizer in the module?
No, there is no image stabilizer in the module.

• Is there any sort of automated sensor cleaning system?
No, there is no automated sensor cleaning system. There is an option to keep the shutter open even when the camera is turned off to allow you cleaning of the sensor. Please use air blower and be sure not to touch the sensor when cleaning.

• Does the shutter stay closed to keep dust away from the sensor when changing lenses?
Yes. Please turn off the camera when you exchange the lens. The shutter will remain closed when the camera is turned off (except the camera is in the cleaning mode mentioned at Q11).

Shutter
• What is the timed shutter range? Does it support Bulb? What is the maximum exposure length? 
The focal plane shutter has range from 1/4000 to 180 seconds
The electronic shutter has range from 1/8000 to 1 second
The focal plane shutter supports both bulb and time, and its maximum exposure length is 180 seconds.

• What is the X-sync shutter speed? Does it support high speed sync with a dedicated flash unit? 
The X-sync shutter speed is 1/180 second, however in the case of manual mode the speed is up to 1/160 second. It does not support high speed sync.

• What is the shutter design, horizontal, vertical, cloth, metal, etc.?
The shutter is a vertical-running type, and metal.

General
• Why is the GXR mount is slightly larger on the left-hand side compared to previous camera units. What is inside this part?.
The motor for the shutter is contained in this area.

• Will there be a new GXR body released, maybe with integrated OVF/EVF and rangefinder styling like the Fuji X100 or Epson RD1?
There is no information.

• What is the maximum weight of lens the mounting rails of the body can support?
There is no official announcement or guarantee but we have tested up to 5kg.

• Will a full-frame module be produced? 
There is no information.

• Will it work with the VF-2 viewfinder? In other words, is the M mount module Live View capable?
Yes, the VF-2 will work with the GXR mount.

Software
• Will there be an option to manually enter the focal length/aperture to EXIF?
Through the My Setting menu option the user can enter the following, lens name, focal length, and F value.

• What video specs are supported, if any? Are we going to be able to use the special filters in the movie mode?
Yes, video is supported, 1280x720 HD, 640x480 and 320x240. There is no special filter function, however peripheral illumination correction, colour shading correction, and distortion correction can be used also in movie mode.

• Will there be any more effects coming via firmware?
Yes, we will continue to release function enhancing firmware for the GXR system.

• What exposure modes will be supported?
Aperture priority AE and manual exposure function are the supported exposure modes. In case of aperture priority AE, user will need to manually adjust the aperture ring of the lens.

• Can it do sequence capture? How many raw exposures can be made in sequence, and at what speed? How many JPEG captures can be made in sequence and at what speed? Is the interval shooting supported?
Yes, sequence capture is possible. In RAW mode 4 images (with noise reduction off or weak) can be made in sequence. In JPEG, 2.2 frames/sec can be captured. Finally, interval shooting is also supported.

• Does it support all the same GXR A12 format proportions?
Yes, all format proportions available with the A12 28mm / A12 50mm camera units are supported with the GXR MOUNT A12.

Other
• Following the acquisition of Pentax will there be a K module or any other mount modules?
There is no additional information apart from the news release on the 1st of July.

Thanks for the useful information, Pavel.
PS: Interestingly, all "interesting" questions are answered with "There is no information."

I think a better answer for these "interesting" question would be "no comment" ;) The M mount definitely opens many new doors for enhancements and innovations.

Man do I have a bad case of GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) for the GXR system. I am in love with my GRD III and am ready to unload my D200 for the GXR and 28mm module. I don't have any M mount lenses but can see this a future upgrade for me.

This is all great info!!!

Is there a recommended lcd protector/cover I should pick up? Finally placed my order with Adorama to take advantage of the slight price cut, who knows when it will show ! But at least I saved 100.00, means I can also order the viewfinder at the same time.

wbill

Does anyybody knows how it works, that we can see the live picture on the monitor in full brightness, while the leica lens is turned down to a small aperture (e..g : 11) ? Or does the mount work with "working aperture" ?

Regards
JONIE

You will have to manually open the aperture to see the live view in full brightness. There is no electronic connection/aperture control between the lens and body.

Leica M and LTM lenses do not have any aperture coupling as there traditionally no need to focus through the lens onto a ground glass screen as in a SLR.

What you see on the LCD or EVF is effected by whatever the aperture is set to.
But in bright light the sensor/EVF live view will still look good even if you stop down.

Pavel , Tri-X

Many thanks for your answers. That means that the mount- modul works with "working aperture" and probably could lead to "handling-difficulties" in dark settings. If you want to use a small aperture (e,.g.: 8) in dark setting you will have problems to focus, since the LCD won`t be bright enough. Therefore you first have to open the aperture completely for focussing and after that should close down the aperture to 8 before operating the shutter. Is that the "normal" way to work with the mount module ?
Seems laborious .

Regards
JONIE

Has always been the way with manual lenses where you have to focus through the lens.

The present situation using evf/lcd to find focus has to be much better than the situation was using the mirror based ovf on slr cameras.

However you might write a book about what lengths lens manufacturers went to get around that problem on slr cameras.

Tom,

o.k. , it took a long time for slr-camera-manufactures to solve the problem, but finally they reached their aim. In my opinion the working aperture that is needed using the mount- module is quite anachronistical and is no real (practical) alternative against the M-Cameras with their optical range finder. I guess, only owners of (older) M -mounted lenses will have fun to use them on the m- module for digital photography not wanting to spend the price for M 8 or M9. When this was the target of Ricoh for presenting the m -module, they will have reached it. But to see the m-module as an option against the leica M 8/9, I guess that will not work.
Hopefully Ricoh will present more A 12 Modules including AF-Lenses, e.g 35 mm, 24 mm, 21 mm. That seems more practical for me.

Regards
JONIE

JONIE":2461b1k5 said:
Tom,

I guess, only owners of (older) M -mounted lenses will have fun to use them on the m- module for digital photography not wanting to spend the price for M 8 or M9. When this was the target of Ricoh for presenting the m -module, they will have reached it. But to see the m-module as an option against the leica M 8/9, I guess that will not work.
Hopefully Ricoh will present more A 12 Modules including AF-Lenses, e.g 35 mm, 24 mm, 21 mm. That seems more practical for me.

Regards
JONIE

This is my first post in this forum and don't even have my GXR yet but I placed my order once the A12-M became available (for preorder). However, I have come close many times in the past to ordering either a a GRD3 or the GXR - the A12 mount is what put me over the edge. So, I am now looking forward to getting the GXR, which will be my first Ricoh.

I just thought I'd weigh in with my thoughts based on JONIE's post. As a Leica RF user (I currently shoot an MP and was a past owner of an M8.2) seduced by what Ricoh has to offer, I do not see the GXR as an alternative to a digital M any more than I see the X1 or X100 as an alternative to the M8/9.

But I think the GXR A12 mount is in some ways ideal for a film M-mount rangefinder shooter who would like to use their glass on a digital camera (APS-C class or larger) that was designed with M glass in mind. Obviously the M8/M9 fit the bill and are true rangefinders but they are a substantial investment.

I have no idea how typical I am in this regard but I would like a small camera with great IQ that lets me take advantage of my M-glass. I miss the lovely images I got with the M8.2 and my Crons, hence, why the GXR caught my eye. Even though the GXR is not a rangefinder, the A12 M module has been designed with the M-lens in mind (going the NEX, 4/3, etc. route with adapters has never been very attractive to me). I'm hoping the lack of an anti-alias filter and the microlensing arrangement in the A12 will help give me some of that magic back that I felt the M8.2 was able to deliver. I'm encouraged by some of the sample shots in this regard. I do worry that I may end up unhappy with manual focus of the GXR (for reasons that include those just discussed in this thread) but I'm hoping I can adapt and be happy - plus, I often zone focus anyway.

So, I don't see the A12 as a digital M replacement. I'm hoping it will give me close to M8.2 IQ but even if it does, it is not an RF in terms of the shooting experience. Secondarily,the GXR is also something I'll feel more comfortable with when traveling or on the street - knowing that the M9 is $7-8K (sans lens) might really get in the way of my shooting comfort under some circumstances.

I want an M-body for sure, but while their film bodies were(are) great, I am not convinced about their digitals which are a different kettle of fish entirely. I miss the soul, the look of film, the winding, the mechanical purity. If they were cheaper probably I'd buy a Leica M9 CSC, but I take fright at a camera body that devalues at over a thousand dollars a year. They should make a Lumix version at half price.

Hi pharyngula,

I read your post with interest: Your experience with Leica is similar to my. I am a former owner of M 8 as well and owned M7 and M6 too.
At the moment I do not see, that I will buy the Ricoh M Mount, since I am unsure to be happy with the way to focus per LCD. Used to the Leica Range Finder that is so bright, and that can be handled quite fast and very precise , it seems circuitous to focus the mount module per LCD, esp when using small aperture.
I would be happy to hear about your experience with your new GXR with M-Module. Probably it can help me to get convinced.

Regards
JONIE

I also suspect I'm still going to prefer my M6 over the GXR EVF.

With hindsight, I wish I had bought a Epson RD-1 when it was launched many years ago.
At the time the x1.5 crop and 6Mp seemed as if it would be rapidly overtaken with better cameras.

The reality of slow progress or price gouging from Leica make that RD-1 with a true optical rangefinder more and more appealing.

I very much agree with your reservations JONIE (and TRI-X). Focusing by LCD or EVF with manual M-lenses isn't even comparable to a true RF in terms of feel or experience. So, I'm not even going to think about it that way. It is one of those things I figure I'll just have to try for myself. I'll be happy to report back with my own impressions once I have the GXR + A12-M in hand for a few days.

I could have waited to hear what others think about it but I'm partly in the mood for a new camera to play with ;)

Doug

I would appreciate a lott the Information where we can buy a Ricoh GXR + M module in shop online in Spain , Italy, France .

I have a Leica 50 mm F/2 lens I would like to use on the Ricoh GXR M mount .

In my country Portugal Ricoh shop do not exist .

I am new in the Forum and I think would be interested to know where we can buy at best price .

Thanks

Back