GR User Forum

The spot for all Ricoh GR camera users

Register for free, meet other Ricoh GR users, share your images, help others, have fun!

Tell your friends about us!

Ricoh GR jagged looking Preview on camera LCD.

Tom K.

I was playing around with my new GR today. Snapped a few test shots before I had to go to work. Looking at them on the screen of the camera all lines look super jagged. Is this considered normal behavior?

If so.....that ain't too cool.

In case of RAW only, there is saved only small jpeg preview in DNG files. And because the resolution of this small embedded jpeg is lower than the resolution of GR lcd screen, the raw preview looks jagged. In other words, the raw preview is not quite raw ;)

I shoot in raw most of the time. I wish the preview file was a higher resolution copy as it would make checking pictures much easier. I hooked my GR up to my Galaxy Note 2 and can view the raw files on the sd card which I was quite excited by but the preview jpeg is so small that any zooming to check finer details is not possible. I know I can use RAW+JPEG but then I'm creating another 6mb file for every shot which I will probably never use once I get the files into lightroom. My Sony A55 doesn't seem to have this problem and raws can be zoomed into on camera to the same level as jpegs. Maybe it's something that will happen in a firmware update.

simejp":2aaluj75 said:
I shoot in raw most of the time. I wish the preview file was a higher resolution copy as it would make checking pictures much easier. I hooked my GR up to my Galaxy Note 2 and can view the raw files on the sd card which I was quite excited by but the preview jpeg is so small that any zooming to check finer details is not possible. I know I can use RAW+JPEG but then I'm creating another 6mb file for every shot which I will probably never use once I get the files into lightroom. My Sony A55 doesn't seem to have this problem and raws can be zoomed into on camera to the same level as jpegs. Maybe it's something that will happen in a firmware update.

These stories seem to come up quite regularly. There is a solution. Shoot raw+jpg (large) and review to your hearts content then delete your jpg files afterwards - no big deal. Otherwise what you are considering is a full size jpg permanently embedded inside your raw file which is a lot harder to get rid of later. So instead of capturing and storing a useless separate jpg file you are asking to capture and store the useless jpg file permanently inside your raw file. With respect, I cannot see much difference. At least with the former you get to throw away the useless jpg at your pleasure.

Also I would note that the image that you view in camera to check is actually a jpg file and therefore cannot be considered "useless".

Ricoh seem to have the balance right - a small stored in the raw file that is enough to check focus and composition and they leave the detail up to the user to process out of the raw capture in software off camera.

However there is another way: in playback press "menu/ok", then right arrow at "Raw Development" at the symbol "L" that immediately pops up by default press "ok". You then get a full size new jpg stacked neatly behind your original unchanged raw file capture. This image can be magnified to 16x without pixelation and can be browsed to hearts content. When finished browsing a simple delete will remove it. This or any other raw file image on your card can be instantly re-created as a fully browsable jpg on demand and you don't have to investigate the handy little suite of on-camera raw conversion utilities any further. Ricoh of course could make it a one-button press for this but in truth the way it is set up the three press shuffle without scrolling is no big bother in practice.

It is a boon to those who "only shoot raw" but like to check the occasional in-camera created image (jpg) from time to time. If every image caught needs to be magnified and explored then the solution is obviously capturing raw+jpg which seems more eminantly sensible than permanently embedding a large jpg in every raw file more or less forever. Presumably this is what your Sony is doing - even though you cannot see them the Sony raw files are just so much heftier because they carry the weight of the hidden full size jpg file that you are never again going to use after a lightroom session. Out of sight is out of mind.

Tom

Tom that's a good idea just doing a quick raw development of any particular pictures that one wants to look at in more detail. I think I tend to forget that is available to me as I'm still getting to know the GR. The great thing is that the menus and response of the camera is so fast and intuitive that getting the most out of the camera is a joy. I have never changed settings and experimented as much as with the GR just because it's so easy to do so.
The Sony raw files, by the way, are no bigger than the Ricoh ones. Maybe they've got a raw veiwer built in which doesn't require any preview to be made They're both 16mpix.
But it is a bit irrelevant anyway as my poor Sony stays at home and the GR gets to see the world!
Simon

Simon,

I am not familiar with the Sony A55. Does it have an aps-c sensor?

I do know that the files that another camera I had produced huge raw files for its day because it actually insisted on putting a full size jpg inside its raw file even when raw+jpg was specified.

My three click dit-dit-dit takes little time and the jpg produced seems almost instantaneous once the final "make it" button is pressed. This almost makes me wonder if it would be a good add-on for Ricoh to simply make a one button conversion or, better still auto-create a full size in playback when the conditions are:

1) capture is raw only with (normal) tiny embedded jpg
2) the user in playback presses the magnify key

At that point the firmware creates a full size jpg as it can do now. Then there could be an auto-delete/leave-alone configuration in the menu system. Alternatively a question "keep/delete jpg" could be asked in a more nagging way every time the user moved on from examining the larger jpg image.

This seems a way to satisfy all parties.

I doubt if there will be noticable delay as when using playback normally the small embedded jpg will allow rapid quick looks and the almost imperceptable delay in making a full size image for a detailed maginified look is easily accommodated and could not be a problem. By making a keep-jpg or delete-new-jpg option it would allow keeping it if the user wanted to return to it or play with variations in the in-camera raw processor or simply cancel it to keep the SD card "clean" with only dng files stored.

Of course what I have suggested allows this to happen in a slightly more complex way right now.

Maybe Pavel could pass this on to Ricoh?

Tom
The A55 is a 16mpx aps-c sensor slt camera. It's like a dslr but uses Sony translucent mirror design. The raw files from this seem to be consistently about 16mb whereas the DNG files from the GR seem to vary in size quite a lot depending on content, anything from 9.something mb to almost 20mb in very complex examples. I did investigate converting the sony raws to dng at one point and I do remember them actually getting bigger when I did that so I didn't pursue it. They've obviously go some clever stuff going on in there.
I think as your original plan will be fine for me but if they did have that one press option in the future that would indeed be a nice feature.

Simon

Is there an easy way to embed the larger JPG in the DNG-file? I'm thinking about doing it after I have copied both the DNG-file and the larger JPG to my computer, so I only have to deal with one image file (the DNG)?

I'm using Photo Mechanic to view photos and for faster viewing a large embedded JPG would be nice.

- iau

Thanks,
I think I'll not do anything to the DNGs then and rather see how it goes with the two set of files. As long as PM and Lightroom easily can handle them as one when viewing I'm in no hurry,

-iau

Back