GR User Forum

The spot for all Ricoh GR camera users

Register for free, meet other Ricoh GR users, share your images, help others, have fun!

Tell your friends about us!

Received My GT-1 Extender Today

Gil

I got my extender late this afternoon and really, really like it. It is a tad heavy but I like the weight and the
ability to hold that camera like a slr for steadiness. From some brief testing, I would have to say, and I hope
Pavel doesn't prove me wrong, that the images appear to be even more sharper then without the tele
converter! The lens causes shadowing of the built in flash with the extender on but that's a give me. The
small GV-2 is partially blocked but I have the Voightlander 40 and just a tiny little area is blocked within the
frame.
I Think I will enjoy the 40mm.
Gil

Nice to hear the GT-1 is now on stock! I did not receive the teleconverter for test so it would be nice to read about your experiences and to see some portrait shots with it! ;)

Hope to take some tomorrow. Between the holiday and weather, I have not had time or conditions to do some real
shooting.
Gil

Attachments

• Extender.jpg
    EXIF
    Extender.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 2,187
It will be very nice if you can make some portrait.
I am also want to by it, if it has a good depth of field went you make portraits.

I need some blur background!!!!
yavaro

I wouldn't expect too much blurry background. The 40mm is still too short to get really blurry background from a small sensor. Sure, you can get some if you go close enough to the photographed subject. See these two samples from Japan Ricoh GR Blog:

This is "normal" distance shot"
tc200.jpg

This is taken from close distance:
tc199.jpg

There is some visible blurring. But the question is how close the photographer was and if it's usable in a "real" world? Hope to see some blurring in Gil's photos ;)

40mm isn't even long enough for full-frame portrait photos without unacceptable distortion of the face. I was playing with that focal length yesterday on my SLR, and I'm thinking that if the head fills about 1/3 the width of the frame it should look ok - so you're what, 8ft or so from the subject? Isolation by blur is going to be pretty minimal at f2.4 though, unless you have a distant background - according to http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html if we take the GT-1 to convert the 5.9 mm lens on the GRD to a 9 mm lens then DOF at 8ft is

Near limit 5.6 ft; Far limit 14 ft; Total 8.38 ft
In front of subject 2.4 ft (29%); Behind subject 5.99 ft (71%

and at 6ft

Near limit 4.54 ft; Far limit 8.83 ft; Total 4.29 ft
In front of subject 1.46 f (34%); Behind subject 2.83 ft (66%)

Neither of those is going to give you much isolation, especially since the drop off in focus isn't going to be sharp! An 85mm 1.8 it's not.

Hi Guy,
I got the GRII for my birthday gift and I found that very poor digital zoom function on it.
I want to buy 40mm tele.
Is it possible to tell me that is it the same as Optical Zoom and the Magnify Zoom is close to 3x or 4x or ?

Your great help is much appreciated.
Best Regards,
YKK

Hi YKK and welcome here! Colman is completely right. The "zoom" equivalent of 40mm extension lens is equal to 1.4x digital zoom.

Thanks guys,
but Only 1.4x Optical Zoom, seems it's far from my expectation.
There is a built-in Digital Zoom (from 1x to 4x), well, it's OK if from 1x to 2x and unacceptable if over 2x.
Do you guys agree ?

YKK":361bey2h said:
Thanks guys,
but Only 1.4x Optical Zoom, seems it's far from my expectation.
There is a built-in Digital Zoom (from 1x to 4x), well, it's OK if from 1x to 2x and unacceptable if over 2x.
Do you guys agree ?

Sorry to say it but if you want zoom you got the wrong camera, the GX100 or R7 will be much better for that. What were your expectations when you bought the camera?

The digital zoom is useless and you can easier crop on the PC afterwards if need be, also the quality will be better.

I am sorry I still have not posted some images. Early yesterday morning my walking down my steep ICY driveway
was not a good thing to do and I ended up injuring an elbow and my upper back pretty badly. Getting better
though and will try again tomorrow.

Happy New Year to ALL

Gil

Oh, VladimirV, I got it.
I checked with the supplier and got the answer (even it's not good for me).

Thanks a lot.

YKK":3ddpcp5j said:
I checked with the supplier and got the answer (even it's not good for me).

Hope you can exchange the camera and get the GX-100 instead. I am sure you'll be very happy with it. I have the GX and think it's a great camera if one requires a zoom.

One part is most probably the marketing decision. But there are also many SW/HW differences. GRDII is noticeable faster in RAW, the prime lens provides a bit sharper output, there are more settings, it's smaller, etc..etc. Each camera has its own market ;)

Back