GR User Forum

The spot for all Ricoh GR camera users

Register for free, meet other Ricoh GR users, share your images, help others, have fun!

Tell your friends about us!

Raw/jpg bug?

stormy

Hi everyone! I just got a new GX200. I got tired of lugging my dSLR on my trips :) and I think this may be my ideal camera for an upcoming visit to NYC next Christmas. :cool:

I'm just shooting some test images and it looks like I've discovered a very strange bug. I'm shooting RAW+JPG in 3:2, with the JPG being captured in b/w. The JPG and the RAW image have different pixels! The jpg has a few more pixels on the left side, and a few left on the right side. It's like the jpg is been moved sideways 1 milimeter.

Supposedly this is impossible, since the RAW has all available pixels from the sensor, yet it is missing the leftmost part of the image. There is no discrepancy at the top or bottom of the images.

Is this a known bug?

Hi stormy and welcome here!

I think your problem is more or less connected to a known "black stripe" issue in GX200 RAW (discussed for example > here <). RAW data may (or may not) contain slightly different number of pixels. And it's also the case of GX200 files. Even without the black stripe (usually shown in RAW editors driven by dcraw), the GX200 RAW data contains some additional pixels both in horizontal and vertical direction.

My I ask you what RAW editor are you using?

I see it could be a related problem, yes. I am using Lightroom. When I import the 3:2 images I can see the black "caching" at the top and bottom display for a split second before Lightroom removes it.

The resolution of both the DNG and JPG is displayed in Lightroom as 3984x2656.

I'm trying to decide whether I can come up with a better B/W version than the JPG, and switching between images there's a distracting jump. By the way, the B/W is pretty good - what do you think of it? (maybe in a separate thread?)

It took one month and a half and many emails back and forth to get this BS reply from Ricoh:
It seems you are using the Adobe Lightroom software, (from Adobe).
The problem lies on the software or the use and operation of the device,
not on the camera itself.
Ricoh supports DNG format for the Ricoh Caplio GX200.
There are some issues related to the software, however the DNG from GX200
(and our other DNG
compatible cameras) is all certified by Adobe who developed the DNG format.
Please be aware that a DNG file is a raw format file and it will not be
visible as it is, it needs to be prepared and is the software that opens
and converts the file that we can see. For instance, when the software
opens, the software may miss the range that a file declares, you may have
this phenomenon.
The Adobe website includes the GX200 as supported camera, but there are
several versions for Lightroom and Adobe camera raw.
We suggest to please contact the Adobe support or software supplier.
http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/cameraraw.html"

Unbelievable!

All in all, I'm quite disappointed with this pretty little camera, its unusable ISO settings (400 is already a joke, 800 and 1600 are simply painful to look at) and now, the lousy customer service.

I think I'm going to be selling it after the holidays, I bought it for an upcoming trip and for daytime pictures I'm hoping it will do its job.

Back