GR User Forum

The spot for all Ricoh GR camera users

Register for free, meet other Ricoh GR users, share your images, help others, have fun!

Tell your friends about us!

Questions about RAW and Color Space

Cubix

I shoot RAW on my GRD II.

When i set my Image setting to B/W, only the accompanying Jpeg is in B/W, the RAW remains in color. Is this how it should be?

I set my color space to AdobeRGB on the GRD II. I notice that when i open the accompanying Jpegs in Photoshop, they are UNTAGGED RGB. Is this right?

Thank you!

Hello Cubix and welcome here! The RAW files are always taken in color! RAW is just an (almost) unaltered information captured by camera sensor. Only the JPEG files are processed with in-camera settings like sharpening, color adjustment, saturation, etc.

As for the Adobe RGB problem, you mean that the JPEG Exif still shows sRGB? Please make sure if you checking the correct exif tag? This information should be stored in "Color Space" tag. And it seems work fine for me?

Hi there. Thank you for your prompt reply.

Here's the info and more details.

Note that I'm using Adobe Bridge to view and edit my images, and opening them in Photoshop CS3. Mac/Apple platform.

When I set my GRD2 to AdobeRGB, and take a picture, the following info is what i see for the JPEG file...
- In the File Properties tab in Bridge, the Color Profile is "Adobe RGB (1998)", which is good because it's correct.
- In the Camera Data (EXIF) tab in Bridge (which is a separate tab from File Properties), the EXIF Color Space is "Uncalibrated"
- When i double-click on the Jpeg and it opens in Photoshop, the profile is "Untagged RGB"

When I set my GRD2 to sRGB, and take a picture, the following info is what i see for the JPEG file...
- In the File Properties tab in Bridge, the Color Profile is "sRGB IEC61966-2.1", which is good because it's correct.
- In the Camera Data (EXIF) tab in Bridge (which is a separate tab from File Properties), the EXIF Color Space is "256"
- When i double-click on the Jpeg and it opens in Photoshop, the profile is "Untagged RGB"

I just found out why the files kept opening as "Untagged RGB". It was a preference that was set in Photoshop to Ignore EXIF profile tag. Once i unchecked that, the profiles are correct when opened in Photoshop.

:oops:

I was supposed to create a new thread about this, luckily I found this old thread. I also recently discovered that even if I set the GRDII to shoot RAW in AdobeRGB SilkyPix shows that the image was taken in sRGB.

tiffany:DNG rgc$ exiftool _0010042.DNG | grep "Color Space"
Color Space : sRGB

tiffany:JPG rgc$ exiftool 0014.JPG | grep "Color Space"
Color Space : Uncalibrated
tiffany:JPG rgc$ exiftool 0014.JPG | grep "Interoperability Index"
Interoperability Index : R03 - DCF option file (Adobe RGB)

Both images created with in camera color space setting set to AdobeRGB. I'm using v2.03 firmware and, as mentioned, SilkyPix (trial mode).

Back