GR User Forum

The spot for all Ricoh GR camera users

Register for free, meet other Ricoh GR users, share your images, help others, have fun!

Tell your friends about us!

New GX100 user flash query.

Arkadia

Just got myself a newish GX100 off an Ebay seller. Originally wanted a GR Digital but am moving to Japan (should have got there I know!) so settled for this model, which I also love.

Anyway, need something explained to me about the flash. I'm finding it is really strong overexposing everything and then sometimes it gets it spot on. Even on soft mode it's like this. Can I control flash intensity other then aperture and shutter speed fiddling?
Here is an example. Am I just being incompetent or is there some kind of malfunction?
2 shots of me in the car, very little ambient light (at night) pointing down. First shot is unusable second shot, pretty perfect.
Also, how noisy is the autofocus on the GX? Mine seems a little sluggish and whirry.

RIMG0020.jpg

RIMG0021.jpg

Yes, the flash from the GX100 is worhless and I have just he same as you have (everybody in fact but from the die-hards you will find on every Ricoh forum, you will hear opposite things). Anyhow, what I do is using as much as possible an external flash and this gives the best results. When using the flash on the camera I always work in manual mode and use the flash syncro speed of 1/125 and I play around with the diafragma settings unill I have the right light for that situation. Using the flash as it is will give you mos off all overexposured pictures or the opposite. I always use the flash ON seting otherwhise in manual the flash will not fire. Regarding the focus, it is not all the time focussing well and this is, as I discovered thanks to the "wobbling lens". It is not for nothing that the GX100 was having the "average" quality as in you can see in DPreview. So, for me, I like the camera, but it is not better than others. Moreover, you do not have a white balance setting for flash. This is why he colors on your picture are also not correct or you have a special jeans :) . Even in 2007 we have to discover that digital photography is in the segment of try and error and this for all brands. When I compare with a stupid film camera than I have to say that even in 2007 they are not able to make 50% of the quality a film is giving.

Umm, they're black jeans, a little faded from washing? The colours are basically identical in the photo to real.

Thanks for the other advice though!

For black jeans hey look very grye with blue in i. Picture seems o be blueish anyhow. Is normal as you do no have a whitebalance setting for the flash. But practice and you will see hat the GX100 is quite good as camera and certainly not worser than other brands (this will not say that they do no have still lots of minor things to be solved).

Arkadia":3sxh72vb said:
Anyway, need something explained to me about the flash. I'm finding it is really strong overexposing everything and then sometimes it gets it spot on. Even on soft mode it's like this. Can I control flash intensity other then aperture and shutter speed fiddling?
Here is an example. Am I just being incompetent or is there some kind of malfunction?
2 shots of me in the car, very little ambient light (at night) pointing down. First shot is unusable second shot, pretty perfect.
Also, how noisy is the autofocus on the GX? Mine seems a little sluggish and whirry.

The GX100 seems to rely heavily on focus distance in its flash exposure calculations. Looking at the first picture closely, I can see that nothing in the picture is in focus, neither the details of the car interior nor the book at your feet; so the camera was probably focused too far, causing the flash to overpower. In the second picture, you have accurate focus, so the flash is exposing fine. In such dark conditions, I recommend turning on the AF assist light and using spot focus to get a solid AF lock on your subject. Failing that, switch to manual focus. After I started paying attention to focus, the flash performance on mine has been very consistent and I usually don't need "soft" flash unless I'm at macro distance.

As for the AF itself, mine is almost completely silent and quite fast, only slowing down in macro mode.

I agree focus is crucial. Don't do a quick snap, dwell on the half press and make sure you have focussed on the closest important thing or it will be burnt out. You can also use negative exposure compensation if you are still having trouble. The flash is very powerful for a compact, the manual doesn't say what the GN is (yet another failing of the manual - see my 2nd "wishlist" post) but AFAICT it is only a stop weaker than my Vivitar flash which is bigger than the whole GX100 camera! If only it could be angled to do bounce flash, I'm sure it's powerful enough for that.

As for noisiness, yes I think the GX100 is somewhat noisy, the lens whirrs and makes ratchety sort of noises when you manually focus. In contrast a Nikon compact I have is completely silent.

Another newbie question............Bought my GX100 just over a week ago, with the 24mm lens and the EVF being the deciding factors in my descision.

This may sound stupid but...........Is there anyway of using off camera flash whilst retaining use of the viewfinder?

If not, it would certainly be on my wishlist in the form of a pc socket or adaptor that I could attach my wireless trigger to.

Paul.

AFAIK the only thing you could do to trigger an external flash whilst the EVF is in place is use the GX100's flash to trigger a slave unit. However the power of the GX100's flash would pose a problem here unless you muffle it in some way.

Another possibility: the EVF doesn't actually make use of the hotshoe contacts, it is plain plastic underneath. Perhaps it would be possible to run a pair of thin wires under the EVF to the flash contacts?

hiro":28me2vv3 said:
Another possibility: the EVF doesn't actually make use of the hotshoe contacts, it is plain plastic underneath. Perhaps it would be possible to run a pair of thin wires under the EVF to the flash contacts?

That's the sort of thing I was thinking of, but being a bit DIY challenged, I'd probably make a b*lls of it. Seems Ricoh may have wasted a good creative opportunity to me.

Paul.

Actually I just noticed that the EVF does use a metal spring clip which engages with the metal sides of the hot shoe. Whether this serves any electrical function such as a ground contact I don't know, but I would be cautious since the metal of a hotshoe does act as the -ve contact for flashguns. I would make sure that the spring clip is not in contact with anything inside the EVF before trying anything.

Thinking laterally, if someone could come up with an extension lead for the EVF socket then you could simply strap the EVF to the side of a flashgun mounted in the hotshoe! I know some people have called for such a lead to allow the EVF to be held away from the camera. I wonder if the plug and socket are custom made or standard electronics parts that might be on sale somewhere? I can just imagine walking about wearing the EVF like a monocle whilst the camera hangs from its neckstrap. Perfect for street photography.... perhaps. :ugeek:

Back