GR User Forum

The spot for all Ricoh GR camera users

Register for free, meet other Ricoh GR users, share your images, help others, have fun!

Tell your friends about us!

New GR II could be here soon

I was at Ricoh last week. On question about new GR, i just got big smile and comment: if we know anything, we will let you know....
So, just need to wait.
As i said months ago - if BW only and weathersealed, i'd make for lots of sales, stocking up for future ;-)

First leaked image of the GR II by the looks of it > http://photorumors.com/2015/06/04/first ... ii-camera/
Ricoh-GR-II-camera.jpg

Looks like the same lens, which is a shame - was hoping for something faster but can imagine it's tough physics to crack to make that happen on a DX sensor on tiny body.

Speculation of course over the hotshoe change - could it be a tilting screen, slide in EVF, change in back layout, or heaven forbid even a change in sensor size? If their trend continues a could well be 24mp, although wouldn't be amazing if they could cram that amazing FF 16mp sensor from the D4s in there? While I severely doubt it one can always dream …..

One thing for sure - not long now till we find out. Unless it's got great weather sealing I'm probably happy staying with my GR.

The line across the top of the screen seems to be in front of the hotshoe and therefore rules out an lcd hinge. Could it be something weird and wonderful like a form of pop-up dot sight? (seems too long). I think that a peek at the back of the camera will tell all.

thelps":hde77rna said:
I get the feeling this "leak" is on purpose.
If you can leak a front image I suspect you would have a rear and side image as well.
Seems to be a teaser to me.

Leaks almost always are on purpose ….

The more I look at the hump, I think its to accommodate an internal connector cable for a plugin EVF.
IMO an OVF with some basic data in the VF would be more desirable but there is no window for the OVF so it won't have that.

Many would not want a built in EVF or OVF to take space over the LCD so a plugin is a compromise.
EVF is the way mirrorless is going so many feel its the way of the future.

If they start discounting GRs that could be a sign of a change....and maybe a purchases opportunity for me!

Richard

Blow-in":3kof239g said:
If they start discounting GRs that could be a sign of a change....and maybe a purchases opportunity for me!

Richard

If indeed the GRII is a simple makeover of the GR then I reckon (guess) that it will hit the market at only a slight premium over that of the remaining stocks of the GR. As it could not possibly be worth much more. When the GR stocks are completely gone it might come back to about the street price of the GR. Hardly need to further discount the GR if stocks are already low. But some vendors might be stuck with stocks of the older camera and decide to quit them ....

My theory being that the G/GRII as first-model/makeover-re-run will be similar to the GRD/GRDII.

Build enough cameras to be sold over two years and then make a follow-up batch for another two years. Add a little bit of spice to make the new model continue to be attractive, but don't raise the price as it would be suicide.

A second batch could be sold at current prices profitably as the R&D would have been covered by the first batch.

Of course this leaked image could just be a hoax.

Tom

Back