GR User Forum

The spot for all Ricoh GR camera users

Register for free, meet other Ricoh GR users, share your images, help others, have fun!

Tell your friends about us!

My new CX6 - some thoughts on shiny plastic

barnvelder

Recently updated my venerable CX3 to a CX6.
First impressions very favourable, except for some cosmetic and build issues.
LCD just great, camera focuses almost instantly and macro works much better than my Fuji X10. Creative modes fun to use and fairly customisable. All in all, a fast and responsive small package with good image quality considering the size of the sensor. its never going to be a DSLR - but it fits in my pocket, has good zoom range and gives me a very large array of shooting options.
But - why did Ricoh have to burden it with a very shiny and plasticy front grip and an adj button that looks like its made out of Lego...?! CX3 seemed much classy ( even if it wasnt).
Have seen very few reviews of this camera - are Ricoh ashamed of its looks...!
I suppose these things are very personal - does anyone out there like its appearance???

I definitely agree about the Shiny plastic from pictures that I've seen of the camera compared to CX5 and previous.
I believe that most might miss that not glossy finish and the lower NR that the CX3 and CX4 offered. CX5 and CX6 seems to have marginally more smudgy NR compared to the other two but still nowhere nearly as bad as that Sony Cyber-shot dsc HX30/20V, Coolpix 9300, Oly SZ-31MR iHS, Panny SZ20/TS30, Pentax Optio VS20 and Samsung Wb850.
Only the Fujifilm F770 EXR and Canon powershot SX260 uses low NR and the Ricoh Cx5 and Cx6 are just about OK too.
It is possible to set NR in the Ricohs to Off and that should help to preserve details better in CX 5 and 6. But it probably is not gonna be exactly as good as in CX3 or 4.
Unfortunately the HD video in CX4 looks smoothed and no focus-tracking either and the zoom lags behind most of the competitors so I chose to pass and await some other CX.
Other than the shiny finish and the smudgy NR I think that Ricoh moves in right direction. Phase detection AF is back again and aperture-mode has been added.
Now we just want a zoom with competitive zoom-reach, real NR Off as an option, Raw/Dng would be welcome and no glossy finish.
In the meantime until a decent CX shows up I chose to add a Ricoh Caplio R3. It seems to be as good as the R-series got with the R5 as the only real threat. R3 image quality resembles about the GRD1 with its low NR and that was what I was after. A zoom complement to the GRD.

Back