GR User Forum

The spot for all Ricoh GR camera users

Register for free, meet other Ricoh GR users, share your images, help others, have fun!

Tell your friends about us!

Low light with 500SE

Schaki

Some with the 500SE this time. B&W in low light. Ios 800 with that camera is really as an emergency as it sometimes can get too noisy and not look very well either. Had to throw some. Sharpening was set to Soft as the noise came out more grainy that way.
In most other compact cameras it is possible to turn off that undiscreet AF light in the menu. But for the 500SE there is no such option. Very stupid, that forced me long time ago to put some black tape in front of that AF light. Focus without that AF light in low light was not a problem and I seldom found need to refocus because the camera had not locked.

Later this evening I might get out again and take the GRDI, 500SE and Contax TVS Digital with me. Then I'll probably limit the 500SE to iso 400 as 800 sometimes was over the limit for what might be useful. GRDI should be ok at iso 800 and the Contax at Iso 320 or maybe also 400, which is the highest sensitivity for that one. But it is surprisingly good at iso 320 in color. Not like most other equally old cameras with 1/1.8" 5mp ccd.

2577048.jpg

I do like the Caplio G500SE in B&W
Bettera than a Caplio GX8, but larger than a G600.
Its an OK, often over looked camera. Very handy camera.

I do enjoy this camera as its my other goto camera as its always at hand.
Man, I'm lazy!

Attachments

• R0014494.JPG
    EXIF
    R0014494.JPG
    228.8 KB · Views: 634
  • R0014461.JPG
    EXIF
    R0014461.JPG
    464.1 KB · Views: 627
33dollars":2z3z0uny said:
I do like the Caplio G500SE in B&W
Bettera than a Caplio GX8, but larger than a G600.
Its an OK, often over looked camera. Very handy camera.
I do enjoy this camera as its my other goto camera as its always at hand.
Man, I'm lazy!

Do you know if the GX8 focuses as fast as the 500SE? Asking this because my brief experience with the Caplio GX 5mp which have same spec zoom as GX8 as far as reach and aperture go, focus slower than the 500SE. It is more like the G4 wide while the 500SE is marginally faster than the the GRDI and on par with the R3/R4.
I enjoy the 500SE as well. What I would like to have is slightly less bulk and better video recording which is crazy bad in 500SE. Actually worse quality than the previous 400G Wide due to all the flickering noise which mostly ruin the video-clips.
I preferred the 500SE and also 400G Wide over the G600 and G700. Much because the near silent buttons, faster aperture at the wide end plus marginally bigger sensor and faster focusing for the 500SE. The 400G only have a 1/2.7" ccd but at least not very aggressive NR and can be very silent in use. Something which I like a lot.
I'm looking forward to the G800 which might arrive this autumn if Ricoh follow their approximate two-year interval for the rugged G-series. Hopefully Ricoh follow in the footsteps of Pentax with their Optio WG-3 in which pentax went for the same zoom which Olympus have in their TG1 and TG2. 25-100 f2-4.9. But Pentax uses a 16mp cmos while Olympus have an older 12mp.
I could have gone for the Optio WG-3 if it not had been for the bad NR which can't be lowered according to the manual and which smudges fine-details to hell...
Especially the beach-picture look bad with the fooliage getting ruined. http://www.pentax.jp/english/products/wg-3/ex/
The Pentax Optio W60 was the last waterproof Pentax with low NR and decent image quality. One of the previous, the Optio 33WP was good as well.

Back