GR User Forum

The spot for all Ricoh GR camera users

Register for free, meet other Ricoh GR users, share your images, help others, have fun!

Tell your friends about us!

Loud Power on and off sounds

tomgwhiting

I have bought a second hand GRD III and overall I'm very pleased. It's in great condition and just what I'm after. It makes a loud whirring/ grinding sound just after the lens opens (when turned on) and before the lens closes (when turned off). Before I raise concerns with the seller I was wondering if anyone can confirm if this is normal on these cameras. It just seems very loud and off-putting.

Any help will be appreciated!

Hi Tom and welcome.
Your description does sugggest the camera is not working correctly but its very hard to determine if its wrong.
My GRD III makes an initial buzz followed by another squeaking type chatter. The GRD IV similar but a little different.
I looked for a youtube video demonstrating the sound but could not find one. Maybe time for me to make some vids and post them.

The only other suggestion is to see if your local camera store has any kind of GRD and have a listen, they are all similar in sound.
Sorry I can't be more help.
Cheers.

Thanks for your response Tim.

I trawled YouTube and spoke to the seller and concluded that it is a normal sound. Despite being worried to begin with your description of the sound fits, while it is less melodramatic than my own.

All the best and a Happy New Year!

Back