GR User Forum

The spot for all Ricoh GR camera users

Register for free, meet other Ricoh GR users, share your images, help others, have fun!

Tell your friends about us!

Landscape

aquilon

I have been sorting through some new stuff in the last 3 weeks since I have been back and thought I would share a few with you all .
I brought 4 cameras with me . GRD 3 , GRD 4 , GR , GXR M . The GRD 4 was only if something happened to the GRD 3 . I started out switching between the 3 and GR but quickly put the GR away and shot only with the GRD 3 for most of the time I was away . The reasons were because I liked the colors better , the handling , and the depth of field . The files are truly amazing that come from the GR but I don't really think I need that kind of image quality to do the kinds of pictures I do or to produce the size prints I make [ 13x19 in ] . Also , in order to get the kind of DOF I want I need to jack up the ISO so high on the GR that the advantage of the larger sensor seems to be nonexistent . I use "manual" focus on the GRD 3 , which works wonderfully for me , but I do like that button on the back of the GR that locks the focus where you want it . I wish the start up time on the GRD was as fast as the GR , but all in all I like the GRD a good deal better .
I am making 3 posts with different types of pictures in each post to satisfy some sort of need for structure . If I was to sequence them for content it would surely be a very different layout .
I hope you enjoy some of them .
Jeff

Attachments

• c 27.jpg
    EXIF
    c 27.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 365
  • C 3.jpg
    EXIF
    C 3.jpg
    746.7 KB · Views: 343
  • C 9.jpg
    EXIF
    C 9.jpg
    909.1 KB · Views: 375
  • C 13.jpg
    EXIF
    C 13.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 340
  • c 25.jpg
    EXIF
    c 25.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 344
Nice, hard to understand why anyone needs 'better' for shots in good light and printed at A4 or letter. Do you think the GRD4 colours are as good as the 3?

Richard

I have never used the GRD4 . I bought one when you could get a new one for $300 in Canada because I wanted a spare camera and it seemed like a good deal . I fooled around a little with it and it acted as if it had a slower write time than the 3 which irritated me . I have noticed that the lens on the 4 is a little more off center which gives a tiny bit more room for ones fingers , which is good for me because I do occasionally stick a finger into the image . I use a optical finder [ 24mm] so I don't notice it until it is too late . When the 4 first came out I seem to remember forum members talking about the image quality being a bit better than the 3 because the changed the processor or something . I am not at all techie so I don't pay all that much attention to those sorts of things . The important thing appears to be that you have to be out there shooting with a reasonably good camera and to do it enough to figure out how to get good results out of that camera . I am certain they can all produce great pictures if given a chance .
My finished prints are A3 not A4 and to me they look just fine . I am getting better , clearer , sharper prints than I did shooting Kodachrome 64 with a Leica . People online seem to freak out if a picture has any apparent "noise" , but I bet if you think about your 10 most favorite photographs taken by other photographers most , if not all , will show grain or "noise" . I bet I could make quite a bit bigger prints and they would be just fine too .

aquilon":3l4mpvkg said:
When the 4 first came out I seem to remember forum members talking about the image quality being a bit better than the 3 because the changed the processor or something

If there is any difference to my eyes its is very subtle. I've looked through some OOC jpgs from both in my archive and I can't see much difference.
I felt that my GRD3 lens was a tad sharper than my 4. I could attribute it to the sample I got?
It could be I was more in tune with taking pics back using my 3 but I found I had more keepers with the 3 than any other GR/D.

I think you did the right thing, use what works for you.

The graduations in the sky here is subtle and IMO quite good for a small sensor camera.

Attachments

• R0010699.jpg
    EXIF
    R0010699.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 296
aquilon":2rwmv162 said:
I am making 3 posts with different types of pictures in each post to satisfy some sort of need for structure . If I was to sequence them for content it would surely be a very different layout .
Jeff

Of the three, I like them all but the landscapes stand out for me - really beautiful stuff. Composition, content and colors all come together, great work.

Back