GR User Forum

The spot for all Ricoh GR camera users

Register for free, meet other Ricoh GR users, share your images, help others, have fun!

Tell your friends about us!

Interview With Duane Pandorf

3:2 is native. I guess you prefer the EVF and elbows in from the SLR days. That's the "A Typical" stance.
Actually I think much of this stems from the film past. Interchangeable lenses, manual focus etc. It's like, the more things change, the more they stay the same.

We envite questions and comments from the membership. Please post on the thread so that we nlow you still love us....
Thanks.....don

Well Duane, unless you have a closing statement....time to leave grasshopper.

Just wanted to thank you Don for allowing me to talk from my heart. These questions have helped me more than you might think in that its made me do some more self analyzing on where I am, where I've been and now where I want to go with my photography.

Thanks again Don!

Thanks Duane for your open answers. Very interesting to read. As I like your style of shooting, I can learn from this. For example: Using the 50mm lens (I own the A12) more often. Though I'm a native wide-angel shooter, I'll give it another try. Cheers - KUM

Man, that pic of your son got me exited too! Did not help me cope with me parting with my GRD III. Keep up the good work Duane.

Don and Duane,
Thanks a lot for this enlightening exchange of thoughts. I would like to add just a few remarks regarding focal length. After I switched to the GXR, I had to do with the A12-50 and the S10. I was surprised how well my brain and eyes were adapted to the 50mm focal lenght. I always stood correctly for that lens. Maybe that was the long training in my youth with these lenses. When the A12-28 arrived, many forum members were in fond of that lens, but I never really got familiar with it. Actually, the A12-50 is despite its plastic a very good lens - here, i have to contradict Duane a little. I own the M-Mount as well, but I haven't used my Zeiss 4.5/35 a lot yet. I agree that a 50mm lens, that is, a 75mm lens, is a really new experience (I own the Zeiss 1.5/50). Ok, i buy the Zeisses, because I cannot afford the Leica lenses...
Sorry for the many typos - I tied to get this done on my new iPad, but it's a hassle... (I made a few corrections in the meantime.)
Best regards, Gerd

125tel":3q6pf3fx said:
Thanks Duane for your open answers. Very interesting to read. As I like your style of shooting, I can learn from this. For example: Using the 50mm lens (I own the A12) more often. Though I'm a native wide-angel shooter, I'll give it another try. Cheers - KUM

Thanks KUM. The questions really made me think a bit about what I've been doing with my work.

radical7":1kawos9m said:
Man, that pic of your son got me exited too! Did not help me cope with me parting with my GRD III. Keep up the good work Duane.

Thanks radical! You should just buy the GRD IV!

waloszek":2caoskd6 said:
Don and Duane,
Thanks a Lot for this enlightening exchange of thoughts. I would like to add just a few Remarks regarding focal lenght. After I switched to the GXR, I had to do with the a12-50 and the S10. I was surprised how well my Brain and eyes were Adapted to the 50mm focal lenght. I always Stood correctly for that Lens. Maybe that was the Long Training in my youth with These lenses. When the A12-28 arrived, many Forum Members were in fond of that Lens, but I Never really got familiär with it. Actually, the A12-50 is despite its Plastik a very Good Lens - Here, i have to contradict Duane a Little. I own the m-Mount as well, but I haven't used my Zeiss 4.4/35 a Lot yet. I agree that a 50mm lens, that is, a 75mm Lens, is a really New experience (i own the Zeiss 1.5/50). Ok, i Buy the Zeisses, because I Cannot afford the Leica lenses...
Sorry for the many typos - I Tried to get this done on my New iPad, but it's a hassle...
Best regards, Gerd

Afternoon Gerd. I hope I didn't give everyone the wrong idea about the A12-50 lens being inferior. It's just that I've been really taken by the "all metal" mechanical German lenses. Yes, they are expensive as I too can not justify buying the new models. So I have resigned myself to finding used ones in good condition.

I've come to the conclusion that my final 3 lens kit will probably be the following: Leica 21mm f2.8, Leica 35mm f2.0 Summicron and the Leica 50mm f2.0 Summicron.

So we are not too far away, except for that I have more than three lenses and that the respective ones are all Zeiss lenses on my side...
Best regards,
Gerd

waloszek":32ehz4aj said:
So we are not too far away, except for that I have more than three lenses and that the respective ones are all Zeiss lenses on my side...
Best regards,
Gerd

Well Gerd, the Zeiss lenses are very nice and I did shoot a week with the Zeiss 35/2 and Zeiss 50/2. Maybe some day in the near future my travels will bring me your way and can share our experiences in person!

Duane Pandorf":1zsq8pgp said:
Yet the GRDIII brought new life to my interest in photography. I could always have this camera with me. I took pictures wherever I went. Of course the majority of the images captured were crap but some just popped. Imagine using just one focal length for almost a year when you have zooms that covered everything! 28mm in both my GRD and in October of last year my GXR with A12 28mm.

Hi Duane, having re-read this paragraph, I am wondering, do you think any other compact camera could have had the same effect? Perhaps the Leica X1 or others?

thelps":2gqvls02 said:
Duane Pandorf":2gqvls02 said:
Yet the GRDIII brought new life to my interest in photography. I could always have this camera with me. I took pictures wherever I went. Of course the majority of the images captured were crap but some just popped. Imagine using just one focal length for almost a year when you have zooms that covered everything! 28mm in both my GRD and in October of last year my GXR with A12 28mm.

Hi Duane, having re-read this paragraph, I am wondering, do you think any other compact camera could have had the same effect? Perhaps the Leica X1 or others?

Hi thelps,

I don't know if the X1 could have. I would have to handle one to know, but I think the two main reasons the I chose the GRD was the fixed lens and the controls. Its pocket ability didn't hurt either. That said, the fixed lens of the X1 would have helped in changing me but if I had the money to have bought the X1 to begin with I don't think I would have bought it to go on a 10 day hiking trip as that was the original reason for buying the GRD.

However, now that I'm enthralled with Leica glass I have to say the X2 has caught my attention. The main disadvantage I see with either the X1 or X2 is the f2.8 compared to the GRD f1.9 and overall size. But then the X1 and 2 both have an APS-C sensor which is a big plus.

Duane Pandorf":sqq9ftjg said:
I don't think I would have bought it to go on a 10 day hiking trip as that was the original reason for buying the GRD.

Ah, I think this it terribly important in explaining your success with it. You bought the camera to fill a need.

I have found with software I can learn an app so much quicker if I have a need to DO something and so I think with the III here you bought it to do a job rather than buying it as a toy or tool with no initial purpose.

Back