GR User Forum

The spot for all Ricoh GR camera users

Register for free, meet other Ricoh GR users, share your images, help others, have fun!

Tell your friends about us!

How to read the actual firmware version number ?

Tetsuo

Hi all'

Just a new GRDII owner ... new try it yourself to make a descent shoot ... new register ... old reader of this great forum ... but with a stupid question :

where can we read the version number of the actual firmware in the menu ?
I didn't find a way in manual.

Thanks all for all tips and info you make me decide to buy a Ricoh.

Hi Tetsuo and welcome here!

With camera turned OFF, switch the mode dial to SCENE mode.
Now press the Macro(flower icon) and Play button and hold them pressed (together) for about 2-3 secs. After that time, there should appear a screen with various numbers. MAIN row determines the installed FW version.

A detailed instructions how check the FW version and update the camera with the latest one can be found here:
http://ricoh.com/r_dc/download/firmware ... wup_en.pdf

Thank you for this explanation odklizec,

So now I can check if it need to upgrade.

My new GRDII was pack with already a firmware update, Ricoh put the manual addon inside for new functions (but didn't precise the version). It's a very good job from Ricoh to follow upgrade firmware on production. Many times you buy some hardware with an original out dating firmware version.

Hope they continue to follow GRDII firmware update policie like GRDI.

May I ask you where you bought your GRDII? It's definitely a nice step from Ricoh to sell the updated cameras. But I'm not sure it's a common thing in all areas.

Yes, I believe there will be some more GRDII updates. Everyone here is hoping for some major addition and "fixes" ;) I think the following FW will have all applicable FW additions from GX200. But I'm slowly loosing hope for true NR OFF and +-2EV in bracketing, which is a pity :( We will see.

Of course, I'm french and bought it from a french website:
http://www.rueducommerce.fr/Photo-Video ... tal-II.htm

Lot of posts are on NR off firmware update. The mystery was about the NR off option in the menu. Manual said that, in certains conditions, ever if you turn off it's ON :shock: but it's not clear.
It's difficult to compare the GRDI and II about picture rendering. I was little disapointed that the GRDII was under considerate about final rendering. So make my choice for all the rest (ex: raw speed writing).

todo: read GX200 fm additions to have an idea of possibles evolutions ;) .

The problem with GRDII NR OFF (and GX200 too) is that it's not NR OFF at all. At best it's less strong and obvious NR. but definitely not NR OFF. It produces horrible smearing artifacts in shadows and large parts of the same or similar color. Look at my post here:
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=496

As you can see, the NR OFF is only a tiny bit better than NR ON, but both are far from RAW crispness. Sure, there is a lot of noise in RAW. But it can be nicely cleaned in postprocessing. And what's really pity is the fact, that Ricoh is able to do much better NR job, mainly in area of chromatic (color) noise! The R7/R8 noise reduction at higher ISO is definitely better than those in GRDII:
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=694
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=984

Yes it's clear on your posts, don't know if this famous NR off "we" want can be fix with a firmware upgrade but it's a cool spirit to let the users choose so join the vote :p and Ricoh seem to care about customer much like some brand (I say Sony :? ?).

I just check the FW version number it's 2.03.
So it's fine for the moment, I upgrade to 2.04 soon ...

Back