GR User Forum

The spot for all Ricoh GR camera users

Register for free, meet other Ricoh GR users, share your images, help others, have fun!

Tell your friends about us!

Help GRD II decisions!

buzzard

This is my 1st post, hi! I've been struggling over the choice of a new camera, I need help, perhaps professional. I really like what I've been reading about the GRD II. So far I've looked at a handful of sub-compact cameras, but I've yet to be too impressed, until the GRD II. Back a few years ago I looked at the gr1s and the gr21... they were kind of expensive for me at the time, so I stuck with cheaper P&S cameras such as the Olympus XA and the Lomo LC-A. I really loved the size of those cameras, I was able to take them everywhere, unlike my bulky SLR which sat at home and collected dust. I need something pocketable, with manual controls for me, but also needs to have easy auto controls for my wife to use.

Will the GRD II meet my needs? Can anyone please tell me which other cameras you considered before settling on the GRD II? Thanks!

-buzzard

Hi buzzard, I am new to the Ricoh group and am still waiting to recieve my GRD II which I should have in my hands by the
middle of next week.
My biggest problem was either getting the GRD II or the more flexible GX100 zoom. I had been following the Ricoh forum
over at DPReview for a couple of months and others have had the same problem making that same decission. I read quite a
bit about both cameras and actually considered getting both but decided for now to go with the newer and a wee bit
smaller GRD II.
I have several Canon dSLRs but wanted something to slip in my pocket. The camera had to be very flexable settings wise
and had to be able to produce RAW image which both the GRD II and GX100 can do. A couple of things that helped me make
my mind up was that even though I mainly shoot RAW, with the GRD II you can turn the NR on and off for jpgs. The GRD II is also
slightly sharper and finally it was suggested that I would be more happy with the GRD II. I have always though I would like a
rangefinder type camera and the GRD and GRD II are close to it. I also use mainly prime lenses on my dSLRs so I am use to using
my feet to zoom.
There is a very long discussion on the GRD II at DPreview that mainly deals with street and candid shooting. It is quite technical
at times but very interesting and you get a good insight on the camera.
Here, Pavel has put togeather some wonderful stuff on all the Ricohs and especially the GRD II including some DNG files you can
download.
I'm not the pro you want to ask to see if you should get this camera but I thought I'd let you see what made me make up my mind.
I know I am a Canon guy and why didn't I get a G9? Well, I wanted 28mm, a smaller camera then the G9, there IS a noise issue with the
G9, the "noise/grain" of the Ricoh is not that bad, if you download the DNGs you will see it cleans up quite nicely. I also plan on doing
a little street/candid photography and this is a good camera for it. The GRD IIs RAW buffer speed has improved also.
Good luck in your choice, I typed about my thinking probably too much for you by now.

Gil

buzzard":2nwjv88d said:
This is my 1st post, hi! I've been struggling over the choice of a new camera, I need help, perhaps professional. I really like what I've been reading about the GRD II. So far I've looked at a handful of sub-compact cameras, but I've yet to be too impressed, until the GRD II. Back a few years ago I looked at the gr1s and the gr21... they were kind of expensive for me at the time, so I stuck with cheaper P&S cameras such as the Olympus XA and the Lomo LC-A. I really loved the size of those cameras, I was able to take them everywhere, unlike my bulky SLR which sat at home and collected dust. I need something pocketable, with manual controls for me, but also needs to have easy auto controls for my wife to use.

Will the GRD II meet my needs? Can anyone please tell me which other cameras you considered before settling on the GRD II? Thanks!

-buzzard

Hello buzzard,

On behalf of the host and other members of the forum, we warmly welcome you to join in our daily discovery of
the black devils produced for our shooting pleasure. From your desire and previous experiences using the Olympus
XA and the Lomo LC-A the GRD II will be your perfect fit with the added advantage of a 28mm focal length
which you can take full advantage in candid street photography as well as enviromental portraiture.

The fully manual feature will indeed delight you while your wife will find it useful when you put it on Program
or Auto mode. I have been using the medium format SLR as well and find the 1:1 format awesome on both
the GX and GRD II. I doubt you will find a better small little camera in the competition especially when you
can even used AAA batteries when your battery is flat.

For me I prefer the little extra flexibilty coming from the GX100 which offer a little zoom and the wider
24mm lens. Have tortured the cam for three months with a shutter count of more than 6000 so far.
I can even shoot with IS0 80 to 200 handheld when doing night photography in brightly lit areas.

Being curious all the time, is the GRDII a fade or fashion?

Attachments

• EXIF
    Fade or Fashion #1.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 1,399
Hey thanks for the responses. I guess I'll take a look at the GX100 too! I can't really tell that there's really all that much difference between the 2... except the zoom. Is the GX100 larger? Can it be put into a pocket easy?

buzzard":27u7uzwr said:
Hey thanks for the responses. I guess I'll take a look at the GX100 too! I can't really tell that there's really all that much difference between the 2... except the zoom. Is the GX100 larger? Can it be put into a pocket easy?

Take a look at the Board index page of this forum to see the comparison of the size. It is not much bigger and
can be inside your pocket just like the GRD II. The difference lies in the electronic right-angle viewfinder and
the availability of the 19mm lens for the GX100 besides the wider 24mm-72mm zoom.

You can also use the optical viewfinder on the GX100 too for speedier street candids or if you want to show
the what is it like at ant level.

Cheers.

Attachments

• EXIF
    Nature #4.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 1,116
Other difference is in a build quality. The GX100 seems to have a bit higher build tolerance. It's a known and often pointed fact, that the GX100 lens is a bit wobbly. The GRD lens is, on the other hand, super tight. There is nothing wobbly or moving inside the GRD body.

odklizec":uzojf9xb said:
Other difference is in a build quality. The GX100 seems to have a bit higher build tolerance. It's a known and often pointed fact, that the GX100 lens is a bit wobbly. The GRD lens is, on the other hand, super tight. There is nothing wobbly or moving inside the GRD body.

I'm not sure what you mean. You say the GX100 has a higher build tolerance, then say the lens is wobbly. Wouldn't this mean the GX100 has a lower build tolerance than the GRD? Thanks for the help. Still struggling with my decision, leaning towards the GRD II.

Buzzard I think the higher tolerance = less precision and so the higher lens wobbling? I don't have the GX100 yet, so I can't compare both cameras. But I would suppose that the GRD build quality would be a bit higher? GX100 is more mass market oriented tool while the GRD is trying to continuing in the old GR quality and style. I'm sure that whatever camera you select you will like it ;)

odklizec":h99iqtm3 said:
Buzzard I think the higher tolerance = less precision and so the higher lens wobbling? I don't have the GX100 yet, so I can't compare both cameras. But I would suppose that the GRD build quality would be a bit higher? GX100 is more mass market oriented tool while the GRD is trying to continuing in the old GR quality and style. I'm sure that whatever camera you select you will like it ;)

I get it, thanks man! :)

OK, I just ordered the GR Digital II

Thanks guys for the help!! I can't wait and will be posting here regularly from now on!

That was a very hard decision, but I'm sure I made the right one for me :D

buzzard":qc2mxhmb said:
OK, I just ordered the GR Digital II

Thanks guys for the help!! I can't wait and will be posting here regularly from now on!

That was a very hard decision, but I'm sure I made the right one for me :D

Buzzard, I'm sure you won't regret getting either the GRD II or the GX100 as each one
of them has its own uniqueness. Though I find the GX100 more suitable for my style of
shooting the GRD II strong point is in its sharper lens and the optical viewfinder.

In the meantime while waiting for your cam to arrive why not start sharing with us your
work in the "Non Ricoh Photo & Experiments" section in the sub forum. Soon you will
want to post regularly joining the thousands of photographers around the world with the
same philosophy - To enjoy and be delighted share it though I still know there are many
who still say that they are shy to show their work. I feel these are very negative people.

:) ;)

Attachments

• EXIF
    People #9.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 218
Back