GR User Forum

The spot for all Ricoh GR camera users

Register for free, meet other Ricoh GR users, share your images, help others, have fun!

Tell your friends about us!

GXR vs X100

becauseitsnice

i know the x100 is mostly compared the leica x1, but has anyone compared the x100 image quality with the gxr? (specifically talking about the fixed 50mm lens or the 28mm lens.)

i love ricoh and i want to stay with ricoh but im itching to buy the x100. i know i'll save some money getting a GXR, but i don't want to sacrifice image quality. any will be greatly appreciated.

Its quite a tough call. But I will say that they are quite differing cameras IMHO.
GXR is a system, various modules are possible, the 50mm reduces compactness of course. The X100 is more like a HQ semi-compact to me.
That integrated X100 viewfinder is quite an achievement but the GXR still has its EVF.
The X100 is a bit larger than GXR (with no EVF) I believe.
Neither camera crosses each other with regard focal length. The X100 fixed at 40mm, but then there is no 40mm for GXR.
An APS-C GXR is only as compact as the X100 when paired with the 28mm module.

In the end they are quite different. So if you want a system camera buy the GXR but if 40mm is wanted, go the X100. :?
I can suggest reading some reviews, especially on the X100.

If money is no problem I guess one answer is to buy both?! :shock:

(Note: I have no hands-on experience with the X100)

As Tim mentions I think today it is mostly the focal length that would determine which one. I chose the GXR because of the 28mm and the system flexbility (A12 28mm paired with the P10 28-300 gives me almost all the focal lengths I want). I'm often a landscape shooter so the 28mm is important to me.

The X100 has a 40mm focal length then the closest would be the GXR paired with the 50mm. But the GXR with A12 50mm is not as compact. I would love to see Ricoh making a pancake 50mm equivalent module. An alternative for me is just to crop the A12 28mm image in half. Shoot in portrait and crop half of the images gives you a rough 45mm equivalent landscape format, ok only 6 Mega Pixels but that is plenty resolution for most applications.

I think you should check out some of the reviews (dpreview.com for example). Seems that the X100 has some challenges in the User Interface and operation department, might want to wait for some firmware updates. Strong points are the cool viewfinder.

Strong points for the GXR to me are the system flexibility and the excellent user interface. The flexibility allows me to carry what I want/need (EVF or no EVF, 1 fixed lens or zoom or multiple).

Image quality is good enough on both camera's from what I've seen.

Remko

thanks guys. im more concern with image quality. i've browsed gxr's flickr group and x100 flickr's group and image quality seems almost the same. i think the x100 is a bit sharper, but i can't really tell unless im looking at them really close. i know the color tone is bit different, and the black on the x100 seems more 3-dimensional. i know nothing im saying are facts, but it's what i can make just by looking at the photos alone. i really like ricoh's user friendly interface, and it's built quality. i also put my hands on the x100 for about 2 mins and im (kind of) disappointed because i expect a "leica" quality built body.

i want to thank you guys again for your "two cent." i really appreciate it. it helps me learn more about ricohs and other cameras a lot more because i'm still new to all things photography.

I bought the GXR + A12 50 & 28 + EVF as I was not sure how long it would be before the X100 was available to compliment my M8.

As luck would have it, I was able to pick up a X100 a few months ago whilst travelling.

For me, the X100 is more suitable to my style - I don't do much landscape & more on still life & journalistic type.

The GXR is takes beautifully bright pics, but the size & lack of OVF/EVF that the X100 has is the differentiator.

There has been a lot of reviews (positive & negative) written about the X100 as the GXR. In the end it is about forcing one self to use & work the camera to their style.

I have missed fewer shots with the X100 than the GXR & the M8 combined.

Before the X100, I always had the GXR on me (in my work bag etc) until the X100.

Now both the GXR & M8 are the least used as.

Though my Sister is loving the GXR but with an eye on the X100 as it is a beautiful looking camera..

Back