GR User Forum

The spot for all Ricoh GR camera users

Register for free, meet other Ricoh GR users, share your images, help others, have fun!

Tell your friends about us!

GXR day dreams

riccadonna

Taking the pictures I seem to get more questions then answers. Take the pict with man taking pictures, everybody seems to look in it own direction even the statue in the background. I can't make sense of it at all. Might just as well take a nap from this crowd. Stanislaw

Attachments

• R0033268web w.jpg
    EXIF
    R0033268web w.jpg
    510.9 KB · Views: 622
  • R0038309web.jpg
    EXIF
    R0038309web.jpg
    462.4 KB · Views: 610
riccadonna":1u4z4tlh said:
Taking the pictures I seem to get more questions then answers. Take the pict with man taking pictures, everybody seems to look in it own direction even the statue in the background. Stanislaw ]

Interesting captures Stanislaw. They also got me to thinking and asking questions :

At first I didn't like the way the first pic includes the two figures on the ground. So, as an exercise, I cropped them out, thinking it might even emphasize more the fact that everyone is looking somewhere else. But then I discovered : that's the whole point. For me, it suddenly became clear that everybody is looking somewhere else even though there are two people lying on the sidewalk. So : either they don't want to notice (too unpleasant a situation?), or is it just that everybody does their own thing, and everyone's OK with that?

As for the second, you must have been very quick : nobody in the crowd is looking at you. Also says something about the abilities of the guide : he must have been very interesting to captivate everyone's attention like that. Of course the contrast with the guy on the bench says it all.

IAC, both pics say something about how people's attention works, or plays games. At least, that's how I read it...

You should start a comic strip all of your own. Maybe you can team up with a writer - you give him the photos (cartoons) and he gives you the answers....

Attachments

• R0038309web.jpg
    EXIF
    R0038309web.jpg
    331.6 KB · Views: 525
  • R0038309web (1).jpg
    EXIF
    R0038309web (1).jpg
    389.2 KB · Views: 552
Thank you quester for your interest. You know, renowned photographer Gary Winograd once said something like that " I`m not looking for dramatic scenes or situations, I just take a normal scene and try to turn it into a dramatic photograph". I guess, that has been my way even before I knew who Winograd was. Well, it simply means that I`m not alone with my approach, which feels good. As to multifaceted aspect of the picture, I generally strive for that E=mc2. the simplest way to express infinite complexity of existence. On other hand I have seen super high resolution photograph of a crowd of hundreds, where you could zoom up to a person or two with clarity. What a multitude of relations, expressions, attitudes! Enough stuff for a book or a film. Yet as said, I`m attracted to a simpler approach with few elements involved. Reminds me a story of little Krishna in who's open mouth his mother saw a whole universe. Stanislaw

riccadonna":169qj9vx said:
" ... I just take a normal scene and try to turn it into a dramatic photograph". I guess, that has been my way even before I knew who Winograd was. I generally strive for that E=mc2. the simplest way to express infinite complexity of existence. . Yet as said, I`m attracted to a simpler approach with few elements involved.

You have an admirable "itch" and it is clear to me that you are succeeding, in your own way. I enjoy seeing your photos because they do indeed suggest a meeting of randomality and significance. A riddle from reality for the mind.

But if we talk about it too much, we will enjoy it less, eh?... ;)

I sometimes wish I had the "nerve" (or whatever) to take photos of this type - but the restrictions I impose on myself don't allow me. I have to say that I appreciate it if it's done in the right frame of mind.

But if we talk about it too much, we will enjoy it less, eh?... ;)
Right on quester. Usually I don´t over interpret what I`m doing. I prefer to be more stimulating enigmatic, more like Fluxus art movement.
I just got carried a bit way, happy with your responce. Beside it, by writing I hope to contribute in a personal way, beside pictures of course, to Ricoh Forum. Pict are talking for themselves, words are more about me as a person. Cheers Stanislaw

Back