GR User Forum

The spot for all Ricoh GR camera users

Register for free, meet other Ricoh GR users, share your images, help others, have fun!

Tell your friends about us!

GX200 RAW writing speeds with various SD/SDHC cards

Hi folks,

As in case of GRD, GRDII and GX100, this table should help you to decide, which card is the best one for your GX200.

Code:
The "# BLINKS" is just the number of blinks of the camera AF led light. This AF confirmation light apparently shows also the writing progress.
The table Sorted by number of blinks, where 1blink = cca 0.5sec. There is about 0.5-1.0sec delay between the shutter press and first AF blink (I believe it's just for image processing)

SD/SDHC CARD TYPE ..................................................... # BLINKS/SECS

4GB Panasonic Class 6 SDHC Gold (RAW+N640) .......................... 3/2.5

4GB SanDisk Extreme III SDHC Class 6 (RAW + N640) ................. 3.5/?

4GB Panasonic Class 6 SDHC Gold (RAW+FINE) .......................... 4/3

4GB SanDisk Extreme III SDHC Class 6 (RAW + NORMAL) ................. 4/?

16GB Transcend Class 6 SDHC (RAW+N640) ............................ 4.5/?

16GB Transcend Class 6 SDHC (RAW+Normal) ............................ 5/?

16GB Transcend Class 6 SDHC (RAW+Fine) .............................. 6/?

8GB Lexar Premium 60x (RAW) ......................................... 6/?

4GB Panasonic Class 2 SDHC Silver (RAW+FINE) ........................ 7/4.3

2GB Kingston SD (RAW+FINE) ......................................... 10/5.7

2GB Lacor Professional 150x card ................................... 10/?

4GB Delkin eFilm PRO - Class6 (RAW+FINE) ........................... 11/6.3

Now that the GX200 has proper RAW buffer, is it really important to keep track of RAW writing speeds? After all, even the slowest of cards should be fast enough (as long as you don't get the buffer to fill up).

Prog.

It's probably not Prog. But In these days of fake cards, it would be good to have a record with some "real" numbers ;)

4GB SanDisk Extreme III SDHC Class 6

Full RAW (12MP / 4:3 / 18MB) + JPEG normal........4 Blinks
RAW (4:3) + N640.................................................3.5 Blinks

Prognathous":2pk6ch5r said:
Now that the GX200 has proper RAW buffer, is it really important to keep track of RAW writing speeds? After all, even the slowest of cards should be fast enough (as long as you don't get the buffer to fill up).

Well, to answer my own post - it is important. Now that I have a GX200 I notice that there is no way to postview the picture while the camera is writing to the card. I noticed this when I used RAW mode with an old 128MB Panasonic SD card (which compared to some Sandisk cards I tested in the past was amazingly fast with an old Caplio G3). The camera takes about 15 seconds to write a RAW file with this Panasonic card. It only needs about 3 seconds with a medium-speed 1GB Transcend card. Now that I'm looking for a larger (~4GB) card, the benchmarks above can be really useful. Thanks to everyone who shared their numbers!

Prog.

I don't know why, but I forgot this. So here goes. Lacor 2GB Professional 150x card... 10 blinks!

Why wonder if it should be faster than this...

I have a GX200 camera that I am useing in RAW. I have no PP software, but I still take shots to see what it will be like some day.
Toshiba 4Gb class 6. They will stay in camera on the card untill i have a work around.
But at the end of the day I beleave a 2 or 4Gb card in SDHC around class 4 to 6 will do the job because we all race home to
move the image to a hard drive or CD disk. An 8,16 or 32Gb card is great for timelapseing. Solong as its about 4 or 6 class.
I have noticed the diffarance between uploading pictures from my camera to computer(notebook)
Is it the software? (Ricoh LaGate) or the card transfer rate (class)?
Shooting aircraft landing in CONT. MODE as a little test. (Sandisc 4Gb class 4) The buffer is doing the work.
All being a G600 with JPEGs 3:2 ratio @ 9 Mps as standard.
I think if a camera company gives me RAW, they should give me some on board memory too,(a buffer)
RAW is hugh data, thats for sure. Big RAW photos just need big buffers & fast transfer rates.
I picked up a ADATA SDHC 8Gb turbo class6 from MSY computer store in (australia only) for 22 bucks AUD. Cant wait to try this one out.
Looking at the ADATA site on the net, they say thay have SDHC in a class 10. Thats like super SDHC.

http://www.adata.com.tw/en/newscenter.php?news_id=517

I just bought a new card. Here are the results:

16GB Transcend Class 6 SDHC (RAW+Fine) - 6 blinks
16GB Transcend Class 6 SDHC (RAW+Normal) - 5 blinks
16GB Transcend Class 6 SDHC (RAW+N640) - 4.5 blinks

I'm going to keep it at RAW+Fine. It's fast enough for my needs, and the card has plenty of space.

Prog.

Back