GR User Forum

The spot for all Ricoh GR camera users

Register for free, meet other Ricoh GR users, share your images, help others, have fun!

Tell your friends about us!

GX 100 DIY Wired Shutter Release

hanseatic

After a couple of months researching a solution for a wired cable shutter release as a DIY project, I finally managed to realise a very simple, well working result.
I found out, that the CA-1 sends out pulsed signals to emulate "half down" and "full down" release press.
As I am not an electronician and I wanted a simple solution, I tried out, If it would be possible, emulating the pulses by myself using my fingers: it works!

What you need, basically:
1. USB plug, Mini A, connetcted to GX 100: cut off the non used regular USB plug, that you normally connect to your computer, prepare the red (+) and the black (-) wire for soldering.
2. As an Energy source for pulsing, I am using three rechargeable batteries à 1,2 Volts = 3,6 Volts, which is sufficient for releasing the shutter. Make shure, that in all cases you prevent pulsing with more than 5 Volts.
3. For short-circuiting, I am using a push button switch.
4. All cable connections are realised by mono phone jacks, because I wanted two versions of shutter release cable lengths, a short and a very long one (5 metres) for self portraiting.
5. While soldering, pay attention to polarity.

Use:
Emulating the pulses for half shutter release press (AUTO FOCUSSING and GET READY FOR RELEASE), you need to hit the push button very quickly and short, musicians are clearly in advantage. After successfully "half pressing", you will hear the typical camera noise of the activated stabilizer. I am newly using the acoustic signals, to hear the AF confirmation status signal.
The second pulse is the release press, "full press", by hitting the push button for approx. 0,5 seconds.
The camera will release and take the shot.

Result:
Inserting all the components into a tin box, investing approx. € 3,- and a little of my lifetime, I achieved a great result, that money can't buy.

Warning:
Copying this idea is on your own risk in case of damaging the camera or getting into troubles with your family, because you spend even more time with photography.

Attached you'll find some pictures.
Cheers and greetz from Hamburg, Christian

Attachments

• R1023682 DETAIL.JPG
    EXIF
    R1023682 DETAIL.JPG
    247.3 KB · Views: 298
  • R1023684 DETAIL.JPG
    EXIF
    R1023684 DETAIL.JPG
    281.1 KB · Views: 294
Hi Martin,

Yes, this was one oft the diagrams, that lead me towards my result...
But i just didn't know how to pulse.
Once anyone could help me learning how to teach a micro processor (which would be the adequate device for pulsing correctly), would be great, so I would extend or modify my shutter release project.

Regards from Hamburg
Christian

Back