GR User Forum

The spot for all Ricoh GR camera users

Register for free, meet other Ricoh GR users, share your images, help others, have fun!

Tell your friends about us!

GT-1 image have a defect

Fairly

Who can help? the image was taken with the telephoto conversion lens "GT-1" was added. With 5.9 mm focal length will be no errors. Maybe 1 of 5 images is affected by the error.

Attachments

• R0014003.JPG
    EXIF
    R0014003.JPG
    606 KB · Views: 271
I'm afraid, what you are experiencing is a known "orange flare" problem seen in GT-1 shots (especially in high contrast and backlight scenes). It's caused by complicated nature of the GT-1 construction. It was discussed for example here:
www.ricohforum.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php? ... 757&p=8387
And I'm afraid, there is not much you can do with that, except to learn how to avoid the situations causing this issue and to post-process your photos to reduce this issue.

The problem is, that Ricoh engineers had to deal with two opposing problems. To make the adapter BIG and flare resistant or relative small but at a cost of flare? It's pretty complicated to make the tele-extension lens for wide angle lens and without loosing even a single EV of aperture. It's pretty unique what Ricoh managed to achieve with the GT-1, because as far as I know, there is no other tele-extension lens on the market like the GT-1. And it still amazes me, how sharp the GT-1 is. Sadly, the orange flare kills the fun and this was also the reason why the GT-1 has not been made for GRDIII/IV.

Thank you very much for helpful, competent answer. I appreciate the picture quality of the GRDII + GT-1 lens.

You are welcome! I took some of my best photos with GRDII and GT-1. I really wish Ricoh would produce a GRD with fast 40mm lens (starting at f1.4 o so). I think it would be a fast seller? ;)

odklizec":2gtp319m said:
You are welcome! I took some of my best photos with GRDII and GT-1. I really wish Ricoh would produce a GRD with fast 40mm lens (starting at f1.4 o so). I think it would be a fast seller?

Me too! I love the Tele lens with my GRD2. And I`m in your boat too! I`m still waiting for the GRD V? May be? That will kill my actual 40mm Sigma DP2s (beatiful pictures out of the camera up to 50 iso, but dificult to handle). I`m posting an example of the flare caused by the GT-1. It`s a matter of practice to avoid this without getting into PS.

Attachments

• Flare.JPG
    EXIF
    Flare.JPG
    447.2 KB · Views: 1,143
odklizec":3ud8ggzv said:
I really wish Ricoh would produce a GRD with fast 40mm lens (starting at f1.4 o so)

By the way Pavel... Any clue about a new GRD? I need to upgrade my gear soon, and I was thinking in the Sigma DP2 Merrill, but... if Ricoh releases a new GRD V with a normal lens, I will think it over...

@odklizec
You can be proud of what you've achieved, especially your GRD II photos at Flickr.
About 40mm (and Sigma DP2) I share your opinion.

@chichornio
Thank you for the picture!

I like the GT-1 too - I tend to shoot in 1:1 (ie square) format with it to reduce the risk of flare....of course you can achieve a similar effect with a crop.

Attachments

• Man running.JPG
    EXIF
    Man running.JPG
    290.2 KB · Views: 1,083
Blow-in":1vdrodrn said:
I like the GT-1 too - I tend to shoot in 1:1 (ie square) format with it to reduce the risk of flare....of course you can achieve a similar effect with a crop.

Thanks a lot for response, I like try the 1:1 crop on my GT-1 pictures...

Back