GR User Forum

The spot for all Ricoh GR camera users

Register for free, meet other Ricoh GR users, share your images, help others, have fun!

Tell your friends about us!

GRX + 28mm Image Quality / Sample shots?

grums

Hi,

Im considering buying a GXR and 28mm today. (Thanks for those who messaged me selling)

Im just wondering if anyone on here has some pictures they have taken with this set up. I know the camera is a few years old now. How do you find the camera, is image still good compared to more recent camera?

How is it for landscape pics?

How does it compare with the likes of a x100, canon 550d or the olympus micro 4/3rds series such as e-pm2?

Thanks!

Take a look at this thread: http://www.ricohforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=6891

Just for you, I climbed a small mountain today with the GXR A12 28 and took this shot.

I think the handling of the GXR with the A12 28 is excellent. The lens is pretty good optically so the real improvements since 2009 are in the sensor area and I'm not an expert here but I often find that yesterday's high end technology can still beat most of today's low end and a good condition used GXR can be a bit of a bargain. When the camera was first launched the high price of the system led a lot of reviewers to remark that it only made financial sense if you bought in to the whole system. However with 2nd hand prices for a GXR + A12 28 in the £300 - £350 bracket you could afford to just stick with a single module. I've got a GRD4 too which I love and which is very easy to use, is more compact than the GXR and has some useful tricks for the Jpeg user. However, the IQ from the GXR is much better especially in difficult light or a higher ISOs. It could be that the GR is the best of all worlds if you are happy with just a 28mm focal length but I'm sticking with the GXR A 12 28.

Richard

Attachments

• Fyrish 1.JPG
    EXIF
    Fyrish 1.JPG
    366 KB · Views: 1,060
Hi Richard,

Nice pic and thanks a lot for the reply! I climbed a mountain yesterday myself, but had no camera with me! I need to get one.

I have been offered an amazing price on the 28mm (used with some marks), but I don't think I can turn it down. Want to make sure I research before I buy though as I have been offered a great deal on a canon and Olympus as well.

I do not mind having a fixed lens, I almost prefer it. I really want a GR but cant afford it. I can get the 28mm a third the price.

I have been offered 3 great cameras, ricoh, canon 550d + 18-55 and Olympus E-P2 with Panasonic 14mm.

All great prices for each, canon is most expensive but still cheaper than a GR.

I used to have a Fuji x100 and loved it, but I sold it and now regret it.

I do alot of mountain and hill walking, so would like a camera to take with me. My only concern with the Ricoh was that some images I seen were quite noisey? Is this true.

Also, how is the ricoh at night time images?

Cheers!

Hi Grums,

I've not many night shots mainly because I stay in the country where there is no light at night. Here is a sunrise shot:

I've attached a few high ISO shots taken indoors with the A12 50 (same sensor as the A12 28 I believe)

Richard

Attachments

• Sunrise 22 Feb 13.JPG
    EXIF
    Sunrise 22 Feb 13.JPG
    210.4 KB · Views: 1,043
  • No 9 conrod.JPG
    EXIF
    No 9 conrod.JPG
    244.6 KB · Views: 1,039
  • no 9 rivets.JPG
    EXIF
    no 9 rivets.JPG
    306.7 KB · Views: 1,040
  • no 9.JPG
    EXIF
    no 9.JPG
    265.8 KB · Views: 1,046
  • pure envy.JPG
    EXIF
    pure envy.JPG
    323.8 KB · Views: 1,042
Hi,

Thanks alot again for the pics. I really like the sunset image. Did you use a tripod for that?

Im going to spending a week in the cairngorms next month, so would like to get a camera to take with me. I would also use it at home as well. I always see nice sunsets when hiking but never have a camera with me excepet the one on my phone. Do you think this would be a suitable camera for landscape images in the mountains? (Based on your sunset image I think it will!)

Thanks.

Hi,

I love my GXR because of:
- great lens. Its nicely sharp from f4 to f8. No need to go further.
- I also like the colors, comes from the graphical chip. Differs from any cameras I have had.
- I like reasonable 3200 ISO.
- I really love the IQ, which is much further than other camers. Now I have the Sigma DP3, whose menu looks like toy camera compared to Ricoh.
- RAW files are "only" 18 MB big
- 3x my setting directly on a dial
- Programable buttons on back side!!! Almost any function could be appoint to any button.
- solid feel, you can feel the camera nicely in your hands

I am not happy with:
- the f2.5 should be better (e.g f2 like X100). But this would be better for the 50mm lens than 28mm.
- the lens thread diameter is 40.5 mm - not easy to find suitable filters.
- significantly slow autofocus compared to previously owned Ricoh GRD III

If you would use 28mm lens only, go for Ricoh GR. Its more compact, has better hi ISO performance and the TaV Regime.

Here are some pics from my Ricoh GXR:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/69713865@ ... 538585969/ or https://www.flickr.com/photos/69713865@ ... 367588129/

Regards, Kamil

grums":16xn8u6f said:
Hi,

Thanks alot again for the pics. I really like the sunset image. Did you use a tripod for that?

Im going to spending a week in the cairngorms next month, so would like to get a camera to take with me. I would also use it at home as well. I always see nice sunsets when hiking but never have a camera with me excepet the one on my phone. Do you think this would be a suitable camera for landscape images in the mountains? (Based on your sunset image I think it will!)

Thanks.

Hand held. Great camera for hiking as it is quite robust espacially if you put a filter over the lens.

R

DiZegna":1842aqvk said:
Hi,

If you would use 28mm lens only, go for Ricoh GR. Its more compact, has better hi ISO performance and the TaV Regime.

Here are some pics from my Ricoh GXR:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/69713865@ ... 538585969/ or https://www.flickr.com/photos/69713865@ ... 367588129/

Regards, Kamil

Hi Kamil,

Thank you for the info and the pics.

How big of a difference is there between the GR and the GXR 28mm? The GR is twice the cost, is it worth that. Is the Image quality much better on the GR?

I mainly shoot low iso at f5.6 or f8, landscape type pics.

Thanks.

Hi,

for my purposes (euroweekends) its better smaller size. The GR has better dynamic range to GXR per single shot. Using a tripod and multiple exposes can easily erase this advantage.

But if you shoot lo ISO landscape, than it makes no difference. And frankly speaking, when printing your images, no one would really mention the difference.

Regards, Kamil

DiZegna":yr85trmk said:
Hi,

for my purposes (euroweekends) its better smaller size. The GR has better dynamic range to GXR per single shot. Using a tripod and multiple exposes can easily erase this advantage.

But if you shoot lo ISO landscape, than it makes no difference. And frankly speaking, when printing your images, no one would really mention the difference.

Regards, Kamil

Thanks for the help.

I think I am going to go for the GXR based on price. I have also been looking at the canon eos m + 22mm as well now. Fuji x20 as well.

So many choices, its hard to decide!

Cmon, RDM. If they come unused and boxed they should be better then mine which after three years of abuse never stopped working.

Looks the business to me! And rather a lot less than I paid for mine...you might want to chase up a lens hood to go with it though, as it does offer a tiny bit more protection and does not come as part of the package, unlike the A12 50mm version...
Happy clicking!
Andy

OK. I got "click happy" and bought one. I guess I needed at least one of the Ricoh lens modules (I currently have only all manual lenses with the M Mount).

All the reviews on the seller for this lens module were good, I just wondered about the removed Serial Numbers from the boxes. But I guess at around 1/3 of the original price that's the way it is sometimes.

Congrats on the purchase RDM. The original hood is nice but quite expensive. After I lost it I used a foldable rubber one that screws in the 40.5mm filter.

First set of shots with the A12 28mm. "White Night" in Melbourne. Alice in Wonderland theme images projected onto the exterior facade of the Forum Theatre.

Attachments

• White Night 1.jpg
    EXIF
    White Night 1.jpg
    331.3 KB · Views: 508
  • White Night 2.jpg
    EXIF
    White Night 2.jpg
    379.3 KB · Views: 510
  • White Night 3.jpg
    EXIF
    White Night 3.jpg
    382.1 KB · Views: 507
  • White Night 4.jpg
    EXIF
    White Night 4.jpg
    441.8 KB · Views: 509
Hi

If you have bought the Ricoh GXR with 28mm unit already, you will not regret it, I can assure you!

Take a look at IR converted photos with above set up. The last one is not an Infrared and is taken from Fuji X100 LTSS 350nm conversion (usually also called as Full Spectrum conversion). LTSS stands for Luminous Tone Split Spectrum.

Enjoy!

Amar

Attachments

• GXR 28mm LTSS conversion 800nm_1.JPG
    EXIF
    GXR 28mm LTSS conversion 800nm_1.JPG
    329.2 KB · Views: 338
  • GXR 28mm LTSS conversion 800nm_2.JPG
    EXIF
    GXR 28mm LTSS conversion 800nm_2.JPG
    461.1 KB · Views: 343
  • GXR 28nm LTSS conversion 800nm_3.JPG
    EXIF
    GXR 28nm LTSS conversion 800nm_3.JPG
    416.8 KB · Views: 339
  • Fuji X100 LTSS conversion 350nm.JPG
    EXIF
    Fuji X100 LTSS conversion 350nm.JPG
    220.7 KB · Views: 346
amarverma":396563so said:
Hi

If you have bought the Ricoh GXR with 28mm unit already, you will not regret it, I can assure you!

Take a look at IR converted photos with above set up. The last one is not an Infrared and is taken from Fuji X100 LTSS 350nm conversion (usually also called as Full Spectrum conversion). LTSS stands for Luminous Tone Split Spectrum.

Enjoy!

Amar
.......I apologise, the last one taken above is not taken with Fuji X100, but with Ricoh GXR 28mm LTSS 350nm internal conversion (usually called Full Spectrum conversion).

BW
Amar

Back