GR User Forum

The spot for all Ricoh GR camera users

Register for free, meet other Ricoh GR users, share your images, help others, have fun!

Tell your friends about us!

GRDIII tests - what would you like to see tested?

Hi folks,

My GRDIII test sample should be on the way, so I should soon start with testing. Aside the usual ISO test (GRDI, II and III) and overall test of speed, new features and so on, are there any specific areas you would like to see covered? Something that has not been covered in Carl's excellent review or in Photographyblog review?

I'm planning to borrow colleagues LX3 to do a basic ISO/performance test and I would like to do a DP1 test, about which I have a strong suspicion GRDIII would pass very well this time ;) Unfortuantely, I can't find anyone with DP1 near me and Sigma refused my request for DP1 test sample. I even thought about purchasing one, but I can't currently afford any new camera gear ;)

It would be interesting to try the 40mm GRD2 lens on the GRD3 and see what happens.
Will the lens mount and click to the GRD3 adapter?

Is there vignetting or some of the sensor field is lost - if the sensor is cut, by how much?
A test image of the 40mm lens with the GRD3 in 1:1 mode may be interesting to some? Could this work ok?

PS: unfortunately I have a DP2 not DP1. :cry:

Yes, I will test the GT1 with GRDIII. I already bought a step-down ring (as discussed here). There is unfortunately no way to use GT1 with GRDIII without step-down ring and I expect some vignetting at full resolution.

Great news! My wife just skyped me about GRDIII arrival! So once I return home, I will start with tests ;) OK, not immediatelly. I will first have to deactivate doorbell. Postman just woke up Lucia to big tears.

Pavel, this sounds exciting. and thanks for asking.
Lens distortion please!
Better if you shoot grids, if possible...
Check out the "red eye test" here:
http://img.photographyblog.com/reviews/ ... ash_on.jpg
and here:
http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/893528/Ricoh ... iii_05.jpg
I was troubled with the concrete blocks behind the fellow. and the storefront looks curved to me...
I think ( I hope I am wrong) the distortion is worse than GRD2? I hope not!
And I'll second the 40mm test. And you might as well try the OLD 21mm, after all why pay for new accessories if the old ones are acceptable.
Thanks again...

Hi rondo,

Sure, I can do some kind of barrel distortion test. It would be interesting to see the impact of new lens design on lens distortion and chromatic aberration. I think the "red-eye" test was done just too close to the wall, so the barrel distortion may be a bit more pronounced. But it's just my guess. I will test it.

As for GW1 test, if I'm not mistaken, I don't have this lens. I was never much in so wide angles. Even 28mm is too wide for me ;) So I'm afraid, I can't test this. At least not in a near future. But I can try GW-2 with GRDI/II? This reminds me that I will have to order step-up ring.

I second the barrel distortion testing. It's possibly the main reason I'm not shooting my LX3 as much. (Although did use both a lot on my recent holiday).

Also, probably not a way to "test" for this but just general construction would be appreciated. As in, is it still going to be easy for dust to get in to the sensor?

odklizec":21nhjmfj said:
As for GW1 test, if I'm not mistaken, I don't have this lens.

If it`s OK for you all, i can try the new wide angle lens on the GRDIII. We have the camera and the lens in our shop and i can take it for some tests for a few days and point some pictures here ???? :?:

Pavel is the pro here for testing , so i would like to ask a test with the 40mm lens and a test of the difference in noise between the GRD 2 and 3.

Thank`s for all your help Pavel and go out to bye a dog for the postman............ ;)

sagar":30v5u8jt said:
Though may be little later, a comparison with Canon S90 and G11 could be interesting

Be shure, both Canons will lose............like G 10 lost against GRD 2 and even GX 200. Sensor is not big enough ( still in G11 ) and overloaded with pixels and the lens is not as good as in GR or GX.

I promise.......

Klaatu":3w0l2ozh said:
go out to bye a dog for the postman............ ;)
:lol: :lol:

Also... If you had time, I'd be interested to see an image taken under absolute best conditions. Best ISO, tripod or support (camera bean bag?), best aperture, high shutter speed with a subject under excellent lighting conditions - maybe also use the hood - if they supplied one.

For me this gives a base line of what could be the absolute best image the camera can take. Not sure if this is possible with Pavel's tight schedule -- but just an idea?

What I have not seen so far is a good test of the actual sensor/lens combo.

Properly exposed (this part is important and usually missed) identical images taken at all ISO's with all three GR-D cameras. Shot in RAW and processed identically in a standard RAW converter.

It would also be interesting to see if the diffraction limit has been moved another 1/3 of a stop with the larger sensor. The GR-D II stops being useful after f/4.5.

Also, what is the IQ penalty for f/1.9 vs. f/2.4 in the corners or even center sharpness.

I would really like to finally see a decent dynamic range test (in RAW). There are already available quite a few sharpness, distortion and high iso tests, but no one seems to be interested in DR performance. :) It would be really nice to see how it compares to low-cost dSLR or other decent compact camera.

I'm afraid, I can't do any comparison against DSLR as I no longer have any DSLR (I just sold my old E400). However, I'm planing to do a GRDIII vs. LX3 ISO and DR test.

Great, LX3 is good enough. :) According to DxOMark, LX3 dynamic range is very decent, easily comparable to dSLRs. Thanks!

Pavel, I'd like to ask you to make simple comparison of GRD models in tricky/high contrast light situation to show announced dynamic range improvements. I'd like to see how GRDIII copes with blown highlights.

I would be interested in the difference in write time with different memory cards. I have a 2 gig Extreme 3 San Disk and it's a lot faster then my 16gb Extreme 2 San Disk card. I would be curious how some of the other brand Class 6 cards fair in comparison to the Extreme 3's.

palec...
I will see what I can do ;) This test will be a bit tricky, because with sometimes oversensitive GRDIII and no exposimeter, I'm not quite sure how to tell what's proper exposure. Setting both cameras with he same shutter speed and aperture is no way to go.

JEF...
I'm afraid, this is not something I can do alone. The problem is that I own only limited number of cards to test. So this is ideal task for collective test.

I started new topic where people can post their "GRDIII writing speed" measurements...
viewtopic.php?f=53&t=3402&p=13870#p13870