GR User Forum

The spot for all Ricoh GR camera users

Register for free, meet other Ricoh GR users, share your images, help others, have fun!

Tell your friends about us!

GRDII RAW writing speeds. Test of various SD cards

The "# BLINKS" is just the number of blinks of the camera AF led light. This AF led apparently shows also the writing progress.
The writing time (from shutter press to last blink) is measured with digital stop watch.

Code:
[sorted by number of blinks]
SD .............................................................. # BLINKS / TIME (secs)

2GB Panasonic Class6 (1:1 RAW + N640) ................................... 5/3.2 (3.0-3.3)

2GB Panasonic Class6 (4:3 RAW + N640) ................................... 6/3.5 (3.4-3.6)
(the last blink is very short, if there is any)

2GB Panasonic Class6 (4:3 RAW + Fine) ................................. 6-7/3.7 (3.5-3.8)

4GB Panasonic Class6 (1:1 RAW + N640) ................................... 6/3.5 

4GB Panasonic Class6 (4:3 RAW + N640) ................................... 6/3.5 (3.3-3.6)

4GB Panasonic Class6 (4:3 RAW + Fine) ................................. 6-7/3.7 (3.5-3.8)

8GB Panasonic Class6 (4:3 RAW + N640) ................................... 6/3.7 (3.5-3.8)

1GB Transcend 80x (1:1 RAW + N640) .................................... 6-7/4

8GB Transcend SDHC Class 6 (4:3 RAW + Fine) ........................... 6-7/4.5-5

4GB Sandisk Extreme III (Raw+Fine) ...................................... 7/NA

1GB Transcend 80x (4:3 RAW + N640) ...................................... 7/4.5

1GB Transcend 80x (4:3 RAW + Fine) ...................................... 8/4.5-5

4GB Sandisk Extreme II SDHC ............................................. 8

1GB SanDisk RS-MMC (4:3 RAW + n640) ................................. 27-28/15

1GB SanDisk RS-MMC (4:3 RAW + Fine) .................................... 32/17

Thanks to GRD2 dual buffer you can take another shot as soon as the display is again active, which is about 3 AF blinks (1-1.5secs) after taking first RAW. And you can repeat this process as many times as you want, until the card is filled up.

I have the Transcend 150x 2 GB, and expect to receive my GRD II today, so I'll do a test when it arrives. Should be faster than the 80x, right?

hi,Ricoh Taiwan told me if I use SDHC Class6,writing speed will improve.

They told me if I take picture with "4:3 RAW + Fine", writing speed is around 3.6-4 seconds.

For my experience, same setting will be around 4-4.5 seconds ( My SD card is 2GB Transcend 150x)

Hi Stanley! It's nice to see you here! You are doing a great job for Chinese GRD community but also for non-chinese readers! ;)

Yes, I also expect higher writing speed with SDHC cards and this is why I ordered two Panasonic's class 6, which are claimed to be the fastest cards. Unfortunately, they are still on the way.

Are the Panasonic class 6 cards faster than the Transcend class 6 cards? Are you talking about the 4 GB, 8 GB, or either one?

I'm speaking about the Panasonic Class6 (gold). I bought 2GB and 4GB version, but they did not arrive yet. So at the moment, I can't comment their real speed with GRD2.

4GB Panasonic Class 6 arrived! Enjoy the results ;) These values are the average times from multiple shots (usually 10 shots). Unfortunately, the 2GB version of this card (I also bought) was not anywhere in the package. So I'm waiting for reply from seller.

Is there something special about the Panasonic Class 6 4GB SD card? It seems to sell for about $90 US, whereas a Transcend Class 6 4GB SD card retails for about $35. Is there a major difference between the two? I have a Transcend 150x 2 GB card and I've been very happy with it, so I was considering ordering the Transcend version of the Class 6 card, since it's so much cheaper. But I don't want to do it if it's going to be significantly slower than the Panasonic.

I don't think the Transcend will be significantly slower. As you can see, I use also Transcend, which is not sdhc and the performance is not much worse. I bought the Panasonic because I was curious about its speed ;)

Pavel here is another for you:

Kingston 4gb SDHC:
4:3 RAW + Fine 6-7 Blinks 4.5 to 5sec
4:3 RAW + N640 6 Blinks 4 to 4.5sec

Gil

Thanks Gil! Are you sure about the timing or number of blinks? Because my cards with the same number of blinks are about a 1sec faster? I measured the time with digital stop watch.

I will double check. but used a digital timer on the test so I think it is close. Timer was only good to the whole second which could
possibly make the difference, plus slow stopping of the timer due to operators age :D
Gil

I counted 8 blinks on my Sandisk Extreme II 4gig SDHC card in the 10m raw and fine setting. Real life speed is very fast though so am happy with the card. (Especially since it comes with a SDHC reader - which may be important purchase decision for some because my older SD card readers can't detect the SDHC card)

Just did some tests with my new toy. Oh man, RAW is fast, at least when you are used to the GR Digital...

Panasonic 8Gb Class 6: (RAW +N640)

Blinks: 6 (with the last blink shorter than the other ones).
Time: Difficult to measure exactly but somewhere between 3,5 and 3,8 seconds, depending on when you start measuring.

I have sold my GR Digital to buy the GR Digital II and the € 150 I had to 'invest' again is IMO really worth it for the RAW speed alone.

Hi I'm a new GRDII owner and would just like to add some information here.

Patriot 8Gb SDHC Class 6 RAW (1:1 Fine, AdobeRGB) 6-8 blinks

Hi Luigi,

UltraII can be a bit slower than the Class6 cards. If you check the list of cards, there is mentioned $GB SandDisk Ultra II with 8 blinks, while Panasonic Class 6 writes single RAW+JPEG around 5 blinks.

Back