GR User Forum

The spot for all Ricoh GR camera users

Register for free, meet other Ricoh GR users, share your images, help others, have fun!

Tell your friends about us!

GRDII factory "tuning"

This latest Ricoh news is just another example of fantastic Ricoh care about their customers. As in case of GRD, Ricoh Japan now offers customization service for the owners of GRDII. Unfortunately, this customization service is available only within Japan.

And what can be customized? Well, at the moment, there are three customization options:

As in case of GRD, they offer individual setting of the shutter button pressure (3150Yen). It can be customized in three levels: light, lighter (standard setting?) and heavy.

For those who don't like a white text on the camera lens (GRLens f = 5.9 1:2.4) they offer replacing the front lens element with white text, with the one with black text (2100 Yen) ;) It's interesting to see that in the times, when manufacturers are obsessed by putting too many "hype" texts around their cameras, there is a manufacturer, who offers replacing one of two available texts with "invisible" version! I'm sure, many people will be really happy about this service. But I personally found this white text on lens a very attractive. In black it looks like if someone forgot to paint it?
namering_org_grd2.jpg
namering_bk_grd2.jpg

And finally, there is an "AE/AWB fine tuning" service (4200 Yen). But to be honest, I don't have any clue what to expect from this "fine tuning". Maybe someone skilled in Japanese can translate it correctly and more reasonable than google translation service?

Original news in Japanese:
http://www.ricoh.co.jp/dc/support/repai ... /grd2.html
News in English (google transl.):
http://64.233.179.104/translate_c?u=htt ... en&ie=UTF8

Hi,

Interesting news ! I like that option to have the white text painted black. Of course, it's possible to DIY this with a black permanent marker, but I'm very happy to see Ricoh providing this as an option as cheap as that. I hate the ghetto blaster look of some cameras: the more they shout "I'M EXPENSIVE" (with a sticker saying how many megapixels and of course a big white lens), the less experienced the user usually is. So I'm happy to see 2 vendors going against the stream here, with Leica being prohibitively expensive and Ricoh being the mainstream one.

Peter.

PeterLeyssens":4a1kyi77 said:
So I'm happy to see 2 vendors going against the stream here, with Leica being prohibitively expensive and Ricoh being the mainstream one.

Leicha would never release a camera with their name hidden away on the back of the camera and with them you pay a lot for the hype and past glories.

But I like that Ricoh offers these upgrades or fine tunings and also the firmware updates, it shows that they care about their cameras and more important their customers.

In my readings about Rich, the one area that impressed me was their updates and listening to their customers
suggestions. This tuning also shows a customer friendly company that in the world of digital photography is hard
to come by these days. At least they did not try to jam in a 12mp sensor to keep up with the Fujis, Canons, Olys
and everybody else. I would have been happy if they stayed at 8 mp and just worked on in camera software.

Gil

This seems to me not a service that they give (you pay for it), but it seems more a marketing stunt to reach people who think that they have something special than. The pressure for a release button per example should be made on every cam that you can regulate it as you wish yourselves (quite easy to do, but will cost for them too much money to incorporae it). But for people who like it, it will be something special I suppose. Anyhow a good marketing stunt from Ricoh, they know how o play the game with the die-hards.

Pavel,
I just asked a japanese friend to explain the meaning of the third custom tuning (AE/AWB) you are mentioning above. This is the result (the meaning - not a word to word translation):

"If a customer buys two or more GRDIIs, then the AE/AWB-characteristics of the cameras can be tweaked to make them exactly equal."

Below this it says:

"This service of tweaking the AE/AWB is not available for a single GRDII, or between the GRD and GRDII."

I hope I made it clear enough.

Regards

VladimirV":1rulauul said:
Leicha would never release a camera with their name hidden away on the back of the camera and with them you pay a lot for the hype and past glories.

This is exactly what you get with the MP. It doesn't have the red eye Leica logo on the front, so it's much less obvious. It does have a simple Leica engraved on the top, though. If you don't like that, you can order your Leica à la carte and for €120 more, you get a top plate that doesn't even have that, leaving exactly what you said: a Leica name hidden away in small print on the back only.

For the rest, you are of course right. Leica used to have spontaneous glamour because the cameras were so incredibly good. But with technology catching up on them, there's only vain glamour left without substance to back it up. Anyway, since I'm moving to digital, the M8 would be my choice but it does come with the red eye, no choice. And that would mean a lot of work with black markers to get rid of it ;)

VladimirV":1rulauul said:
But I like that Ricoh offers these upgrades or fine tunings and also the firmware updates, it shows that they care about their cameras and more important their customers.

Yes, I'm becoming very impressed, particularly about the firmware upgrade. They clearly don't regard their products, and therefore their employees' work, as disposable.

Peter.

Back