GR User Forum

The spot for all Ricoh GR camera users

Register for free, meet other Ricoh GR users, share your images, help others, have fun!

Tell your friends about us!

GRD V - discussion, what may it bring?

Marek, you were on your way to a home cooked Russian Dinner. My wife was excited to see me with joy about my new camera designer. But alas....I need a new way to get Ricoh to make my strap lugs and you my friend....
go straight 2 blocks, turn right... That McDonalds has your dinner....

All kidding aside. The lugs I am serious about but of course it's a dead issue but the point is, I have no other issues with the camera. I started thinking about the mode dial. I think you have a good idea. For me, I set to M and never use the dial. It's wasted. Using it for aperture is a great idea.

Your a smart guy with good ideas.
Don

streetshooter":czzxvjlq said:
For me, I set to M and never use the dial. It's wasted. Using it for aperture is a great idea.
I'm afraid thats the sad untold story of all mode dials of all cameras ever made. For beginners these are too confusing and for advanced users there is no functionality.

When I started I was using everything in mode dial. I had my personal modes (one was BW square portrait mode, other was a special low light mode). I was using every scene on this camera, even the "document mode" for scanning papers. I shot a video. Then I started to use the camera intensively and you don't have any time on field to make tricks with fun modes. Today I use the mode dial only to go between A and M mode (in other words setting the exposure either automatically or manually).

t3hh":za2698nl said:
go between A and M mode (in other words setting the exposure either automatically or manually).

Having come from film cameras and in latter film years P mode film camera, I found myself using Program Shift a lot. I use the in camera meter and shift my aperture/shutter back and forth depending on what mix I want, its quick and efficient for me. For me I would use P and M more. Having said this I used A mode on an OM-2n so am familiar with A mode as well. For me I may as well have P / A / M, so you may as well throw S in as well.

thelps":qo6c4lpz said:
Having come from film cameras and in latter film years P mode film camera, I found myself using Program Shift a lot. I use the in camera meter and shift my aperture/shutter back and forth depending on what mix I want, its quick and efficient for me. For me I would use P and M more.

I wonder if the decisions that you make in P mode are mostly related with aperture value or exposure length (depth of field or blur of the motions)?

t3hh" I wonder if the decisions that you make in P mode are mostly related with aperture value or exposure length (depth of field or blur of the motions)?[/quote said:
hmm, you have me wondering too now. I think with the GRD often as I know I have large DOF I often am looking to the shutter speed, but often I am aware to keep the aperture open as to keep away from diffraction effects. I have some images that have lost IQ because of this. My usage of program shift would be maybe 20-30% of images. Often I go with P mode recommendation, tweaking exposure-compensation if I have time. Some are just grab as you see them, no time for any tweak.

We all work different but often we don't work to best efficiency or effect. I am often on forums looking for techniques of others as they often make me think - hey, that's for me!

thelps":281x7y01 said:
I think with the GRD often as I know I have large DOF I often am looking to the shutter speed, but often I am aware to keep the aperture open as to keep away from diffraction effects. I have some images that have lost IQ because of this. My usage of program shift would be maybe 20-30% of images. Often I go with P mode recommendation, tweaking exposure-compensation if I have time. Some are just grab as you see them, no time for any tweak.
If the P mode decisions are driven by aperture value then your learning curve with this potential camera design is a short one. After changing the aperture you have to press exposure wheel to get auto reading. Instead of exposure compensation you will tweak exposure value. This could be also an easy addition to firmware to set the exposure value to "auto" after every change of aperture if checked so in menu.

But in other case (P mode driven by exposure values) I'm afraid this design doesn't work with your style as it would require to set aperture to automatic value and this is just not possible with this camera.

My preferences seems to correspond with many of yours - here they are, in loose order:

1) EVF
2) F1.4
3) Fixed lens (i.e. doesn't extend on power-up)
4) Thread for filters

+ I would quite like the tripod mount along the same vertical axis as the lens.

I don't want B&W only and I would be daft to not want a larger sensor but only if they can squeeze it in the same chassis.

I love these cameras, hope they just keep on pushing it.

I have used Ricoh Grd 1 to 4 and gxr (sold most modules kept 28mm).

I'm a fan of Ricoh cameras.

I have two things to say.

Firstly, I'm hoping Ricoh could come up a GR1v replacement. Yes, a film camera please.

Secondly, its good if Ricoh put in FF sensor but if writing speed isnt fast I'm ok with the GRDIV sensor size. I wish GRDV will improve on writing speed; longer battery life; faster startup, top panel lcd, perhaps a Daido's style preset lol..

I hope it will not go with trend like, tilt screen, touch screen (oh.. what the heck), wifi, built in gps, 1080p video!!??, blah blah...

Most important keep it pure photographer tool. No funky settings please.

t3hh":1pu4shyy said:
streetshooter":1pu4shyy said:
For me, I set to M and never use the dial. It's wasted. Using it for aperture is a great idea.
I'm afraid thats the sad untold story of all mode dials of all cameras ever made. For beginners these are too confusing and for advanced users there is no functionality.

When I started I was using everything in mode dial. I had my personal modes (one was BW square portrait mode, other was a special low light mode). I was using every scene on this camera, even the "document mode" for scanning papers. I shot a video. Then I started to use the camera intensively and you don't have any time on field to make tricks with fun modes. Today I use the mode dial only to go between A and M mode (in other words setting the exposure either automatically or manually).

Funnily enough I've gone the other way...I used to shoot just with 'A' but then started playing with 'film' settings so I now have MY1 as 'colour', MY2 as 'DRC' & MY3 as 'B&W' and tend to shift between them quite often. I'm also using function pairing with F1 always EV compensation (yes, I have the zoom rocker set to zoom! - digital of course) and with F2 set as something else (for colour it's the different filters). It's taken me 8 months to get to this point. In reality MY1 is 'A' but with my own settings for sharpness, contrast & hue saved (plus the function pairing).

For me the overriding features of the GRD4 which I really hope are retained are:

1 - compactness - it goes in a pocket - it is nearly always carried - an absolute must...if the 5 is too big to do this I might as well use a bag then I might as well carry something a bit bigger.....
2 - great & fast lens....28mm is OK and if you want you can still get good results at 35 & 40mm with digital zoom (but do use auto resize)
3 - superb user interface...takes months (for me anyway) to explore

Having had a very brief play with a GXR (nice!) and as a OVF user, I would like to see an EVF option on the GRD5 with the ability to switch off the LCD. I'd also like to see a bigger sensor...if Sony can do it with the even more compact RX100 then surely Ricoh can do it too with a fixed lens. With a bigger sensor, digital zoom makes even more sense to me and I'd like to see a step option of 35 & 40 mm offered as a selling point (using auto resize) - I know it's the same as a PP crop but I like to frame what I take.

Richard

Blow-in":9cckurkn said:
if Sony can do it with the even more compact RX100 then surely Ricoh can do it too with a fixed lens.

I think the RX100 uses the same software trickery that the LX3 series uses, where the lens is designed without the constraint of distortion which is corrected in software.
Where the GRD5 could be designed this way its likely users would not approve.

Duane Pandorf":345fy5oz said:
I may be wrong and hope I am but it wouldn't surprise me to not see a GRD V at all.

While I agree its a possibility that it may not due to the Pentax merger etc., someone did post that they had spoken to a Ricoh rep who said a V was coming.
Yeah, like we can believe the internets?! :lol:

Even with this, I think it will happen.

AW: GRD V - discussion, what may it bring?

http://photorumors.com/2013/04/13/the-n ... t=FaceBook

●The new Ricoh GR will have a new processor called GR Engine 5.
●Very fast and improved AF and start-up time.
●No anti-aliasing (AA) filter.
●High ISO up to 25,600
●1080P at 30fps HD video recording capabilities with continuous AF (H.264 format).
●Built-in stereo mic.
●The 28mm f/2.8 lens is completely re-designed and will have a 9 blades aperture.
●Ricoh will also offer a wide angle conversion lens (GW-3) with a 21mm focal length.
●The new GR will be compatible with Eye-Fi memory cards.
●The US price will be around $800.
●Announcement is next week. Shipping should start in May.

Re: AW: GRD V - discussion, what may it bring?

planet360":eht51fc1 said:
http://photorumors.com/2013/04/13/the-new-ricoh-digital-gr-camera-to-be-announced-next-week-additional-specifications-available/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+PhotoRumors+%28PhotoRumors.com%29&utm_content=FaceBook

●The new Ricoh GR will have a new processor called GR Engine 5.
●Very fast and improved AF and start-up time.
●No anti-aliasing (AA) filter.
●High ISO up to 25,600
●1080P at 30fps HD video recording capabilities with continuous AF (H.264 format).
●Built-in stereo mic.
●The 28mm f/2.8 lens is completely re-designed and will have a 9 blades aperture.
●Ricoh will also offer a wide angle conversion lens (GW-3) with a 21mm focal length.
●The new GR will be compatible with Eye-Fi memory cards.
●The US price will be around $800.
●Announcement is next week. Shipping should start in May.

I believe all of this except 800 USD when thinking about Nikon A... It is really a bargain.

Re: AW: GRD V - discussion, what may it bring?

xc1427":38oi2s9n said:
I believe all of this except 800 USD when thinking about Nikon A... It is really a bargain.

The GRD III was similar $$ ($900ish) in Australia when released. The IV was less, I think priced at what the market could stand.
I think the GR could land at something around $800.

I bet the Nikon A will drop to close to this if this is what happens.
Many people think the X100s which is similar priced to the Nikon A is a better buy, but I don't believe you can compare them. The X100/s is substantially bigger to both the A and GR for me.
The Nikon A and GR (APS) are a class of their own IMO.

Back