GR User Forum

The spot for all Ricoh GR camera users

Register for free, meet other Ricoh GR users, share your images, help others, have fun!

Tell your friends about us!

GRD/GRDII shutter speed/aperture difference

It seems the GRDII now have limited range of shutter speeds and apertures in M mode. In GRD it was possible to set all shutter speeds over all available apertures. The GRDII shutter speeds and apertures are now as follows:
180-1/800 - 2.4
180-1/1000 - 2.8-4.0
180-1/1600 - 4.5-5.6
180-1/2000 - 6.3-9.0

Does anyone have an idea of the reason of such limitation? This limitation is shortly mentioned in help. But I would be really interested to know the reason.

Pavel, Do you know if the GRDII also limits the shutter speed in aperture priority mode? And if so, what the max speed is? Doing a quick test, my GRD seems to top out at 1/760...

Hi Pavel,

i'm trying to rationalize this too, for it seems, at fast shutter, we are limited to higher f-stops... => less light? that quite weird.

perhaps something to do with the limitation of its autofocus mechanism?

dasper":3moigpej said:
Pavel, Do you know if the GRDII also limits the shutter speed in aperture priority mode? And if so, what the max speed is? Doing a quick test, my GRD seems to top out at 1/760...
Yes Dasper. The limitation in GRDII "A" mode is about the same 1/760 at 2.4

leews2001":i15yhnj9 said:
Hi Pavel,

i'm trying to rationalize this too, for it seems, at fast shutter, we are limited to higher f-stops... => less light? that quite weird.

perhaps something to do with the limitation of its autofocus mechanism?
I don't know the reason, but it seems to me that we are "forced" not to use wide open lens at bright lightning conditions? This limitation would not bother me in case of 2.4, because it's supposed to be used under bad lightning conditions. And in bright day would be better to use higher "f" number to get the optimal result. But from previous experience with small sensor cameras, I found that the optimal "f" number is about f5.6. Higher numbers (smaller apertures) are prone to lens diffraction. I will have to do some tests with GRDII regarding the diffraction. However, for now we have to use f6.3 to be able to set 1/2000 and this is somewhat limiting? I'm not complaining, I just want to understand it.

For me personally, the GRD ability to set all shutter times with all F numbers was a great advantage over all pocketable cameras. It's like using manual lenses on SLR/DSLR. But now, the GRDII seems to be in the same league as any other camera, regarding the f/shutter speed setting. This behavior is quite common for pocketable cameras and even some DSLRs with electronic lenses.

odklizec":2bbdy78c said:
I don't know the reason, but it seems to me that we are "forced" not to use wide open lens at bright lightning conditions? This limitation would not bother me in case of 2.4, because it's supposed to be used under bad lightning conditions. And in bright day would be better to use higher "f" number to get the optimal result.

i am thinking about the situation when you will want to have a large aperture in broad-day light to get narrow DOF.
How about trying in aperture-priority mode at f2.4 and see if the shutter speed is still limited up to 1/800s?

odklizec":2q0ea5hp said:
I checked both GRD and GRD2 and the shutter speed is limited in both to 1/760 at f2.4.

Do you think it is possible that this could be changed in a firmware update at some time? That is a very low shutter speed
for shooting wide open. I like to go for the short DOF also and 1/760 will blow out in bright light. I could hold a ND filter in
front of the lens, but that's not that conveinent all the time.
Gil

Thats weird. The GX100 lets you choose any shutter and aperture when wide open in M mode, but it does limit the shutter speed in A.

I don't see any reason why it could not be changed, except there is something completely different in GRD2 hardware? And there is also note about it in the user guide. So such change could be confusing. But most probably not as confusing as "missing" info about forced NR "ON" in continuous mode ;)

I have one theory about why there is such limitation in M mode. There is a new feature in GRD2, which allows to pre-set the expected (appropriate) aperture/shutter value by pressing the "zoom" button. Kind of half-pressing the shutter button combined with "AE Lock", except that when you release the zoom button, you can freely change the aperture/shutter values. Maybe this "manual" AE is the reason of such limitation? But I know..it's pretty weak explanation ;)

My guess on this is that it has something to do with the different sensor used in the GRD-II. That seems to be the major hardware change. I believe the sensor actually controls the shutter speed in the GRD, at least at faster shutter speeds. If I set my GRD to 1/2000sec wide open and look at the mechanical aperture/shutter operate, it clearly is not going 1/2000sec.

bertalan":2hlmu7ha said:
Thats weird. The GX100 lets you choose any shutter and aperture when wide open in M mode..
Are you quite sure about it? Because in GX100 user guide is stated the same limitation in "M" mode as in GRDII:
"Depending on the aperture value, some shutter speeds may not be available."

So I would expect the same "shutter speed/aperture" limitation?

I just double checked my GX100. 24mm f2.5 1/800, 1/1250 and 1/2000. I then reviewed them to check the data on the LCD(I'm at work, can't download the pics) and checked the histograms just to make sure. It definitely does shoot at 1/2000 at f2.5 in M mode.

Back