GR User Forum

The spot for all Ricoh GR camera users

Register for free, meet other Ricoh GR users, share your images, help others, have fun!

Tell your friends about us!

GR1V - Film Loading Pulled Film From Canister - Blinking 40

wolfywho

Hi,

I have a GR1V that I just loaded a 36 EXP roll of film with. When it was done loading, the LCD was flashing 40. It pulled the film completely out of it's canister and is now stuck on the take-up spool. How can I remove it from the camera? I'm afraid to pull the film out as the spool doesn't want to spin backward. I don't want to break it. Is there some way to release the spool to make it spin freely?

Thanks in advance!

-Wolfy

Crack the cassette open and reattach the film to the cassette spool.
You will need to try slip enough film out of around the take up spool.
Put the cassette back in. Close door & hit the rewind button. @<<
Hope that helps

I was able to disengage the take up spool so it would spin freely. I pulled the battery out and then put it back in. I put the empty film canister back into the camera and closed the back. I then pushed the rewind button and it started to make the rewinding noise. While it was making noise I opened the camera back and it stopped rewinding. The take-up spool was disengaged and spinning freely, which allowed me to pull the film out. Phew!

That was the first roll of film I ever put into the camera. I hope this doesn't happen often.

I did put a 2nd roll in after I got that all sorted and it loaded up perfectly.

-wolfy

33dollars":yrkw98jh said:
Crack the cassette open and reattach the film to the cassette spool.
Put the cassette back in. Close door & hit the rewind button. @<<
Hope that helps

Thanks 33. That was a thought that briefly crossed my mind too. It wouldn't work though because the film was completely around the take up spool, and no way to strip any film off since the take up spool wouldn't spin in reverse.

-wolfy

Glad you got it all sorted out. I will remember your technic just in case it ever happens to me.
It's taken me three attempts to load some of the Ricoh P&S cameras at times.

Back