GR User Forum

The spot for all Ricoh GR camera users

Register for free, meet other Ricoh GR users, share your images, help others, have fun!

Tell your friends about us!

Gr ii dropped: autofocus gone?

warroo

Hi all,

Some time ago I dropped (80 cms) my gr ii which was packed in a leather ricoh bag, on grass. No scratches (it was packed..) but it was impossible to focus with the camera since that drop. Of course, to have it fixed it looks like I need to have the camera repaired, but anyone any idea why such an innocent drop could have caused such damage?

I upgraded since then to the iii and subsequently to the iv: both never dropped until now :)

Warroo, I'm not an expert and cannot tell you what exactly happened but I feel confident to say that it depends on how the camera dropped, I.e. with which orientation and which part hit the ground... May be that with the right orientation also a small hit can compromise the delicate devices and alignment that are inside. For sure, what I can suggest you is to avoid to drop your iv... Is much better :D

Hi warroo and welcome here! I'm sorry to hear about your trouble. Well, I'm afraid, there is no such a thing like innocent drop ;) Drop is always a drop and sometimes you are just out of a luck. I already dropped the GXR with A12 50 and EVF from 1m to wooden floor. After it hit the floor, it decomposed into individual pieces. But aside the skipped hearth beat on my side, it survived without a scratch.

BTW, what happens if you switch the camera to the MF mode? Are you still able to manually focus? And what about the Snap focus? Does it works or not?

I'm afraid, the repair costs of your GRDII would be probably too high. But it would be silly not to ask Ricoh about the repair quote. I believe it should be around 120Eur, which is probably still less than a whole new camera? Good luck!

Thank you both for your comments and suggestions! I will see what happens when I follow the suggestions (mf and snap shot) and will post my findings here.

Back