GR User Forum

The spot for all Ricoh GR camera users

Register for free, meet other Ricoh GR users, share your images, help others, have fun!

Tell your friends about us!

frozen screen bug or malfunction?

signature103

Forgive me if this problem has been posted already.

Set at "A" with f9.0 and ISO64 in Snap Mode. After several (4-10) quick successive shots (Continuous Mode = "Off") the screen goes blank and the green indicator blinks to indicate it is writing without stopping. The writing continued without seeming to end. The only way to stop the writing was to press the "POWER" button. The camera powers down but the lens is still sticking out in the "Power On" position. Pressing the "POWER" again the camera powers down then powers up again ready for shooting. Going to playback the last shot is not recorded. And when I "Power Off" after this the "Today" indicator says I have shot "0000000" shots, even though I have recorded several shots already.

The problem seems to be at f9.0 only.

This was with Firmware 2.20. I tried it at home with Firmware 2.10 and the results were the same - a locked blank screen, etc.

Anybody had a similar problem? And suggestions as to what to do would be appreciated?

Hi signature103 and welcome on the board! I'm sorry to hear about your problem. I tried to reproduce it but no "luck". It sounds like a problem with transferring the files from camera to SD card? What SD card do you use? And do you shot the photos in RAW or just JPEG (what size and quality)? What image settings, WB and noise reduction level did you use?

Odklizec,
Thanks for your reply.

I use a 8GB Sandisk ExtremeIII30MB/s Edition (Class 6). I shot both JPEG and RAW but when this problem occurred I was shooting JPEG. I use the largest size at best quality, Auto WB and no NR.

I think it could be a due to the brightness of the scene too. When you tried it was it bright outdoors conditions? It seems to only happen in bright scenes?

I appreciate you testing this out for me.

Sadly, no bright conditions today. Do you remember what was the shutter speed? If I take several show (RAW+JPEG) in the rapid succession, I get "Writing Data" warning and it's impossible to take another shot until the buffer is cleared. However, I newer saw anything like that in JPEG? There is a chance (although very small) Ricoh engineers forgot to add similar warning for JPEG only? And if you somehow managed to take the photos faster than the camera processed the JPEG files, it could make the camera unresponsive? It's hard to say? My suggestion to you is to try to reproduce the problem with different card. As it happened during writing the files to card, there is a very good chance there is something wrong with your card?

Back