GR User Forum

The spot for all Ricoh GR camera users

Register for free, meet other Ricoh GR users, share your images, help others, have fun!

Tell your friends about us!

from the G500se

33dollars

Have no idear what the SE means in Ricoh.
This is is a macro to sum up my Vista Toshiba Satellite Pro
Time to replace it I guess.

Attachments

• R0014775.jpg
    EXIF
    R0014775.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 264
Nice shot. I've seen dead flying insects lying on their back like that but I don't think I've ever photographed one. Maybe I should try that at some time. I like to take pictures of most insects like spiders and other animals.
I don't know either what that "SE" means. Basically the 500SE is an enhanced version of the usual Ricoh Caplio 500G. At least one noticeable difference I know about is that the 500SE Model W have both Wlan B/G and Bluetooth to transfer images to a computer. There is 500SE-B and 500SE-M as well. The 500SE-B only have Bluetooth for wireless transfer of images.
For some unknown reason Ricoh seems to have removed information about the 500SE-M and -W. But still these two models existed as well.
Another feature which the 500SE have is that it can connect a GPS to it. I was very surprised to find out that it not came as a built-in standard feature with the G700 or G700SE in 2010. Wonder when we'll see the G800? I hope that Ricoh go for the same zoom zoom with fast aperture at the wide end as in their WG-4 which unfortunately have problem with too much NR which probably not can be turned off a la some of the filthy Pentax Optio compacts which it still is heavily based on.
Of the Waterproof Pentax cameras it was only the W60 (which had same zoom and ccd as the Ricoh G600) and some of the even older ones which had quite good image quality. The rest of them struggled with frantic NR almost to hell, as so many other newer generation of waterproof cameras.

Recently a very rare Ricoh Caplio 300G have shown up on Ebay.De. Seems to be in fine condition and I've had one myself for about two or three years ago. It is in fact based on the Ricoh Caplio RR30 and have nearly identical image quality except for not having such a filthy Blue color-cast which could be seen in full-size sample images in reviews of it. Keep in mind that there is at least a slight bit of oversharpening and that the sharpening soft-option should work great as for many other Ricohs.
I've a rare Black RR30 myself which I not have used much at all, unfortunately, but are going to take it out today. If not least to find out if any of the later firmware updates for it fixed the blue-cast problem. I never had that problem with my own Ricoh 300G so I was very surprised to see it in the sample images from RR30-reviews, considering that it is the same internal hardware after all.

I'm not going for this one myself and hope that any of you two or someone else might buy this Ricoh 300G. Would be fun it it might find a home at a real Ricoh-user. It is really a nice little camera. I've written more about it in the thread over at Dpreview in my last post there i list auctions to Ricoh-gems on Ebay. http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3547187

Two quick sample images in a thread at Dpreview, from my own RR30 which have the latest firmware, 1.18. http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/2 ... t-53443734
Thankfully I already had set sharpening to Soft and even soft is include a very slight bit of oversharpening but looks reasonably good to me and no blue cast. Though somewhat dark clouds. Maybe the magpie flew to its nest about two hours later when the rain came.

Back