GR User Forum

The spot for all Ricoh GR camera users

Register for free, meet other Ricoh GR users, share your images, help others, have fun!

Tell your friends about us!

First impressions

KaRoy

I own both the GRD and the GRD II now, mostly because their size and flexibility for manual control. I used to be (and still am) a fan of Canon for both their (D)SLR and G series cams, but I found the GRD to be more like what I wanted in an everyday cam. I also like its IQ and startup speed, plus the 28mm equivalent lens.

As the GX-100 came out with a wider lens, I was considering getting it for the last 6 months, but I'm not too crazy about zoom lenses in such small cameras. Also, I was suspecting, along with many others, that a GRD update would follow. I was also considering the Canon G9 and the Leica C-Lux 2, but for the reasons already mentioned I decided to stick with the GRD.

One of the reasons I was looking to upgrade was the fact that the GRD was in my pocket most of the time and it would get turned on accidentally, resulting in the lens assembly getting jammed. This, eventually, lead to the camera being stuck even during normal use. Nothing to do with firmware upgrades, imho, just simply a minor design flaw, occasionally causing some interesting sensation in my pocket...

I'm glad to see that this has been rectified in the GRD II. The power-on button now seems to have been protected against such accidental 'turn-on'-s.
The LCD is brighter, as are the default pictures is takes. The info display now shows the depth of field, which is a useful addition, I think.
The picture taking process seems to have been sped up and the overall quality of the pictures seems to have improved.
The tactile senstion of the buttons and general operational qualities also seem to have been improved.
I don't much care about having more mpx or not having IS or any other such technicalities, event hough I'm quite the geek myself.

Of course, it's still overpriced for what it is, but I'm not sorry for getting it. I don't know if it's the best of its kind, probably not, but I'm happy with it.
I'm not going to be a better photog because, but seeing what others can do with it makes me keep it with me all the time.
More later...

Thanks for that KaRoy. I'm deciding whether to buy the GRD2 or not. I currently use a Panasonic DMC-LC1 which I love. It has a wonderful manual style interface and a great lens. It focuses a bit too slowly though in low light, it tends to 'hunt'. How's the GRD2 in this respect?

I was considering an SLR such as the Canon D40, but that is even more bulky than my Panasonic. So it would probably stay at home too often. Besides I think cameras such as the Ricoh are less of a barrier between subject and camera because they're so unobtrusive and simple looking.

http://www.pmun.net

pmun":15n3h1qi said:
Thanks for that KaRoy. I'm deciding whether to buy the GRD2 or not. I currently use a Panasonic DMC-LC1 which I love. It has a wonderful manual style interface and a great lens. It focuses a bit too slowly though in low light, it tends to 'hunt'. How's the GRD2 in this respect?

I was considering an SLR such as the Canon D40, but that is even more bulky than my Panasonic. So it would probably stay at home too often. Besides I think cameras such as the Ricoh are less of a barrier between subject and camera because they're so unobtrusive and simple looking.

http://www.pmun.net

Funny, i have also the Panasonic DMC-LC1 and ordered the GRD2, i think it's a perfect combination! the GRD2 for 21-40 mm and the LC1 from 40-80
First i wanted to sell the LC1 and order the L1, but it's so bulky! that i had decided to keep the LC1 with the GRD2...

Panasonic DMC-LC1 ... in low light, it tends to 'hunt'. How's the GRD2 in this respect?
I have not done any extensive tests, but the few shots I've attempted in low light were done with relative ease. Meaning whatever focusing effort it required from the camera, it didn't seem too bad.

BTW, somebody else on this forum, I believe with the id like lars or something, noted in another thread that we keep forgetting how easy it is to switch the GRD's to use simple AAA batteries. Indeed, that was one of the other reasons I like this camera. Not that I ever needed it, as the power management seems to be pretty efficient for day long shoooting sessions, but it's great to know that wherever you go, should you run out of juice and don't have time to recharge, it's likely you can get a hold of a couple of AAA's.

I'm planning to do some timing tests with AAA. As far as I remember, the usability of GX8 with AA was about 100 frames. So I would suspect the number of shots with AAA will be even shorter. But I agree that even short AAA backup can be very useful in emergency situations ;)

Studio67":1b3f18t0 said:
Funny, i have also the Panasonic DMC-LC1 and ordered the GRD2, i think it's a perfect combination! the GRD2 for 21-40 mm and the LC1 from 40-80
First i wanted to sell the LC1 and order the L1, but it's so bulky! that i had decided to keep the LC1 with the GRD2...

Good decision to keep it. I was thinking of selling mine at one time. But it's such a fine camera, unique like the GRD line. It's a shame that Panasonic went the SLR route with that camera, the L1 was a flop. An LC1 with an optical finder, brighter screen and updated sensor would've been great. Show me another camera with a built in bounce flash, an innovation that seems to have fallen by the wayside. How sad.

KaRoy, hope you don't mind but I am going to add my comments too. First off this is my first Ricoh camera, I own several Canon dSLRs but did not want
to get a G9 for various reasons. Another thing is I'm not that big into B&W shooting, some, but not much. Grain in an image does not bother me, if I don't
want it I'll remove it.
I got my GRD II today and from using it for just a couple hours I find that I like the camera quite a bit. I don't like the fact that it stores a JPEG along with the
DNG but the JPEG incamera processing delivers a fairly high quality image with some very good colors. In fact the saturation is just about the way I like
it. My first test shots showed the images to be quite sharp out of the camera. The flash does a better job then I thought it would. AWB seems pretty much on
the money. I have to do some study with the manual but I like the menu and controls quite well. Macro is excellent, very sharp. The little GV-2 viewfinder is
worth the big bucks IMHO. What grain I got in my color shots was very faint, I was shooting ISO 100 and 200. I forced the grain issue, just to see what I would
get, it would clean up very easily. The camera did very well in a very dimly lit room focusing rather quickly. That is about it for now with just a short time using
the camera. Just tossing my 2 cents out there. It is a nice little pocket camera with a good focal length and I am quite pleased with it.
I was tossed between the GX100 and GRDII, I am glad I got the GRDII, but I may still miss the zoom a time or two.
Gil

odklizec":3os2rfqh said:
I'm planning to do some timing tests with AAA. As far as I remember, the usability of GX8 with AA was about 100 frames. So I would suspect the number of shots with AAA will be even shorter. But I agree that even short AAA backup can be very useful in emergency situations ;)
you might also test the times of lithium AAA batteries as i was told you could get up to 4 times as as many shots with them. an added bonus -- they keep at the bottom of your bag forever (expiry date way past the probable life of your camera) and they're much lighter in weight.

Gil,

Welcome to the happy GRD owners' club!

So, about the
stores a JPEG along with theDNG
I thought that was just me! :oops: I kept thinking "boy, I've gone totally spastic... still, just how exactly did I do that?!" :mrgreen:

KaRoy

KaRoy":2nrmg1v5 said:
Gil,

Welcome to the happy GRD owners' club!

So, about the
stores a JPEG along with theDNG
I thought that was just me! :oops: I kept thinking "boy, I've gone totally spastic... still, just how exactly did I do that?!" :mrgreen:

KaRoy

I had read that the camera stored the jpg but what a waste of card space and write time :evil: There should be an option. My 1dmkIIn CAN do it and it will do
it on a seperate SD card in camera, BUT I can turn it OFF, and I do! A RAW ONLY switch would be a piece of cake to have in there!
Any who, that is about the only thing, so far, that I don't care for too much. I only shoot AE but have only been using the program mode on the new camera for now
until I read the book more. I had noted Pavel's blowouts and wanted to see what the camera would do in P with a bright sky. Well, if I exposed for the sky, all was well.
If I didn't, lots was lost (in P mode). I was able to bring out the shadows with LR so exposing for the sky wasn't too bad. I'm still impressed with the flash, GV-2, and
low light exposures. Fun camera ;)
Gil

I fully agree that "DNG only" switch would be great. However, the GRDII is now fast enough to process and save full scaled images within a fraction of second so it would most probably not speed up the RAW writing process..not much. But I'm sure such switch would improve the GRD writing speed. I've already added this request in GRDII FW wish list and I was informed that the Ricoh dev. team is aware of this wish list. But there is no chance to tell if there will be something from the list implemented ;)

Back