GR User Forum

The spot for all Ricoh GR camera users

Register for free, meet other Ricoh GR users, share your images, help others, have fun!

Tell your friends about us!

DXO Photolab 6 Elite with Ricoh GR3

dirk

GRUF-Founder
Hi,

there is a new video out from Sulantoblog, who uses also both, the Ricoh GR3 and GR3x.

This time he talks about the new version of DXO Photolab 6 "Elite" and shows what he did with 2 Images of his Ricoh GR3.

It seems that as a first impression, he likes DXO better than Lightroom and/or Topaz for noise reduction (the so called deep prime is only part of the "elite" version).

Bear in mind that today there are black friday deals for DXO available.

Last edited:
I have been using PhotoLAb as my main post-processing software since its 4th version. I t hink it really is a viable alternative to the big ones not just because it is much cheaper. Its denoise is easy (one click) and really good, but most of all, I find its file management system to be intuitive and easy. I love using it with Filmpack in order to get integrated film looks, without having to export into tiff or anything cumbersome. It’s very easy and good.

Do you you whether it is possible to import ratings (colours and/or star ratings), which you have done in Lightroom, into DXO Photolab 6?

I'm afraid I have not used Lightroom in ages. Was a Capture One user before Photolab. I did not try to retain ratings etc when I made the change as I did not even know there was such a possibility.

Just as a sample of what the denoise can do with a Ricoh GR IIIx.
The following shot has been fully edited on Photolab 6. I have made my own preset, using a Tri-X 400 ISO emulation and adding on top some extra grain (I like grain). From raw to the result, i basically only had to press 'export.' I note that i had to export at 48% quality in order for the forum to accept the file size.

The photo was shot at ISO 12800. I'm no pixel peeper, but in general I am extremely pleased with the result.
RX012790.jpg
  • RICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD. - RICOH GR IIIx
  • 26.0 mm
  • ƒ/13
  • 1/1000 sec
  • Pattern
  • Manual exposure
  • ISO 12800

I bought it and will play around with it as soon as I have more time in winter.

For what I can judge from internet research it seems to be really good.

Looks good, but I'll stick with Lightroom because I'm used to it (and I don't do much editing)

Hi,

there is a new video out from Sulantoblog, who uses also both, the Ricoh GR3 and GR3x.

This time he talks about the new version of DXO Photolab 6 "Elite" and shows what he did with 2 Images of his Ricoh GR3.

It seems that as a first impression, he likes DXO better than Lightroom and/or Topaz for noise reduction (the so called deep prime is only part of the "elite" version).

Bear in mind that today there are black friday deals for DXO available.

You can buy DXO Pure Raw separately (this includes “deep prime”) and it can be a used in conjunction with Lightroom and Photoshop (as a plug-in) with the files being stored in a separate folder but they also appear in the same folder as the original. I usually use topaz if the pic light noise after processing and anything over 800ISO goes through pure raw first with the camera/lens profiles switched off (NB).This means you can do your usual Lightroom workflow without any additional work done to the original raw file. The results are very good, but remember it only works for raw files. Deep Prime also tries to sharpen the images I find it is mostly best to turn that down (always my first slider to zero in Lightroom with raw files as well)

I have run up a much older free version of DxO for my earlier GRs and very much appreciated the automatic distortion correction that was applied by DxO. I suppose this is in other processors but the DxO one changed the images a tat and improved the look of the image for me. Especially for portraits.

I must revisit a trial version of DxO for the GR III

As a new owner of a GR3x I cannot use my normal workflow with Capture One as it is not supported. However, I still have Photolab 5 and I’m really pleased with the output so far from this program and, of course, the NR.

Back