GR User Forum

The spot for all Ricoh GR camera users

Register for free, meet other Ricoh GR users, share your images, help others, have fun!

Tell your friends about us!

Dust problems?

luan

About to buy a GRD2, with the only problem now deciding whether to buy locally or from eBay. I've read at various places that the GRD had some dust problems, apparently from the lens as well as the pop-up flash and battery compartment. Was wondering how prevalent this was, or will be with the GRD2?

I presume that if I buy locally, then the warranty is from Ricoh, and if I have a dust problem, then they will fix it. Buying locally is $AUD1,100. If I buy off eBay, then it is the dealer warranty, which doesn't include dust cleaning, but it costs $200 less, and comes with a bunch of extras, like the extra battery... What is a man to do?

I haven't read anything yet abut dust problems or dirty sensors on the grd2, i even did a few tests with mine when I first got it just to make sure. In my experience, nothing beats buying locally though. If there ever is a problem, being able to talk to someone in person about it is priceless. I'm also a big fan of supporting my local economy, even if it costs a bit more. :D

Have been using the camera for more than five months torturing it with more than six thousand
images and not a sign of dust. I have it covered with a pouch at all times and use a powerful blower
brush to clean off the dust after use. Keep the lens cap cover at all times when not using the camera.

Don't worry too much about dust getting into the GRD. Dust is the enemy to all types of camera.
Just learn to prevent it from damaging your camera. Get out to shoot more rather than worrying about
this small problem. All cameras and lenses are afraid of dust. So don't buy any camera, ha...ha...
:D :D :D

Oh no, I'm not worried about a dust problem, I'm more worried about if I can fix it or not, because photoshop can't fix everything. If everyone is saying that they have a problem, then I will buy locally. If it is a rare problem, then I'll save $200.

luan":2c9ap2wv said:
Oh no, I'm not worried about a dust problem, I'm more worried about if I can fix it or not, because photoshop can't fix everything. If everyone is saying that they have a problem, then I will buy locally. If it is a rare problem, then I'll save $200.

Which ever way you choose should lead to others being happy in your final decision. Ask yourself if you want to
make those you know to be happy or some people you do not know at all. Happy purchase and start shooting
and post your pictures here soon. :roll:

forward":cpzk2p7g said:
Which ever way you choose should lead to others being happy in your final decision. Ask yourself if you want to make those you know to be happy or some people you do not know at all. Happy purchase and start shooting
and post your pictures here soon. :roll:

Where I live, like Singapore, is a large place with many people. I have no affiliations/associations with the shops here. Even if I did, I firmly believe in competition. The Australian economy is going fine - there are plenty of other people who will pay ridiculous prices, but for me $200 is still a couple of hours of work. Why should I give my money to someone else? :roll:

I've just ordered the camera from eBay - it came with a two year warranty, from a seller I've bought from numerous times over the last 3-4 years. Hopefully I'll never need the warranty. Should be good. I haven't taken pictures for a long time, as my slr was getting too burdensome to carry everywhere. Pictures on my website as soon as it comes....

Back